• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have until 7/24 to return my iPhone 4, what if Droid X isn;t available?

My local Verizon store has guaranteed me two Droid Xs on the 15th. They ported my numbers over to temporary LG flip phones. I'm not sure if they will hold a phone for you since you're not bound to go with Verizon.

I guess I could also switch to Verizon and get a Droid for the time being and hopefully I will be able to get the Droid X before the 30 days runs out...any thoughts?

I have horror stories about these situations when the Voyager first came out, and later the BB Storm (I worked at an authorized retailer). When we got the release date we were told there would be plenty of them. If a customer wanted one, we could set up the service and give them loaners (free phones w/ 2yr). Then about a week before launch we hear they're in short supply, then around launch we hear we aren't getting them until a couple weeks, then it's only five or so per store!

Imagine having a dozen or so people with sh!tty Samsung flip phones getting one or two phone bills and not even having the phone they really want, and not even getting the phone they basically preordered on launch day (we didn't get the Voyagers until after Christmas).

They said it would be different for the Storm, so the same process repeated, although admittedly not as bad.

TLDR: Don't get service with a phone you don't want, or you may end up stuck with it. Just ride it out with AT&T until you can for sure get one. They'll cancel your AT&T service and set up your VZW service same day and you'll be walking out with the phone you want.

Also, beware of shady authorized dealers.

Upvote 0
I would say you will have luck on the 15th to get one, provided you can get to a corporate VZW store in the AM. And if you cant that day, most likely they will be in stores by the following Mon/Tues. You can probably just order from the site that Thursday morning with 2nd day shipping and have it in your hands if your lucky by Late Fri afternoon, or the latest Monday.

Upvote 0
I would say you will have luck on the 15th to get one, provided you can get to a corporate VZW store in the AM. And if you cant that day, most likely they will be in stores by the following Mon/Tues. You can probably just order from the site that Thursday morning with 2nd day shipping and have it in your hands if your lucky by Late Fri afternoon, or the latest Monday.

So Verizon is going to have online ordering on the 15th? I wonder if that starts at midnight. If it's anything like how it was trying to order the iphone online....oh boy. I would definitely order online vs going in store if I can. I just hope when I do it they are
not backordered.

Upvote 0
So Verizon is going to have online ordering on the 15th? I wonder if that starts at midnight. If it's anything like how it was trying to order the iphone online....oh boy. I would definitely order online vs going in store if I can. I just hope when I do it they are
not backordered.

Yea, I would assume it'll be available online either that Wed evening or the latest early Thurs morning. And the release of the X wont have nearly the amount of hype or lines, or any of that on the 15th. Don't forget, were mainly the people that are counting down the days, not the average person. The average person might even mistake an x for the new iPhone with the WiFi's....lol

Upvote 0
Yea, I would assume it'll be available online either that Wed evening or the latest early Thurs morning. And the release of the X wont have nearly the amount of hype or lines, or any of that on the 15th. Don't forget, were mainly the people that are counting down the days, not the average person. The average person might even mistake an x for the new iPhone with the WiFi's....lol

So I will try at midnight and As soon as I get my tracking # the next day I'm returning the iPhone.

Upvote 0

So whats up with the htc incredible being backordered for so long? I hope motorola isn't like that

Upvote 0
TLDR: Don't get service with a phone you don't want, or you may end up stuck with it. Just ride it out with AT&T until you can for sure get one. They'll cancel your AT&T service and set up your VZW service same day and you'll be walking out with the phone you want.

Also, beware of shady authorized dealers.

this is true if you don't mind dumping your old phone number and getting a new one. If you want to keep your phone number it will take 24 to 48 hours to actually complete the porting process. Just make sure you have all your account info from att handy when you go in to get the X

Upvote 0
So that won't affect the Droid X?

it shouldn't. the reason it affected the incredible badly was because samsung provided the screens for the phone and samsung also will be releasing their own devices(galaxy s variants) across the world so therefore HTC was kind of screwed and they are now having to change the screens to something else due to the fact that they are not getting much help from Samsung or fast enough help should i say

the X doesn't use the same type of screen as the incredible so any of the delay issues as far as the incredible goes shouldnt really affect the X

the most you will have to worry about is probably having them sold out if they didnt make enough

Hopefully motorola learned from htc's error in judgement concerning the Evo and incredible

Upvote 0
I guess I could also switch to Verizon and get a Droid for the time being and hopefully I will be able to get the Droid X before the 30 days runs out...any thoughts?

yeah that's what i did. i have a droid and it is due back on the 19th.
that being said i am exchanging and paying fifty dollars for my X.

a little more than a week guys :))

i almost got an ally just to try it out while i waited for the X just because i had already had a droid before but i was like nahhhhh

Upvote 0
it shouldn't. the reason it affected the incredible badly was because samsung provided the screens for the phone and samsung also will be releasing their own devices(galaxy s variants) across the world so therefore HTC was kind of screwed and they are now having to change the screens to something else due to the fact that they are not getting much help from Samsung or fast enough help should i say

the X doesn't use the same type of screen as the incredible so any of the delay issues as far as the incredible goes shouldnt really affect the X

the most you will have to worry about is probably having them sold out if they didnt make enough

Hopefully motorola learned from htc's error in judgement concerning the Evo and incredible

Let's hope. I will be ordering online on the 15th.

Upvote 0
I would do as much instore as possible. If your want to keep your number I would go the ATT first (maybe on the 14th) and start the porting out process. Then you can go to a Verizon corporate store early on the 15th and grab an X. If keeping your number doesn't matter to you then it really doesn't matter which store you go to first.

Just my personal preference. Some prefer actually calling CS. I can't imagine the phone traffic Verizon CS will have on the 15th, what with people calling in to order, and reps calling in with activations and port requests.

Upvote 0
So whats up with the htc incredible being backordered for so long? I hope motorola isn't like that

Yes to some extant it had to do with a shortage of Amoled screens, or so that's what HTC said. More likely Samsung needed efforts and supplies for the Galaxy line. But none of that should affect the Droid in any way...They went with an LED screen for the x. But with these companies you never know, hopefully we shouldnt see any shortages.

Yea, my iPhone 4 was gone the next day, Garbage is a good word to describe it, sad but true. Maybe they'll wow me with the next model number 5...lol

Upvote 0
Yes to some extant it had to do with a shortage of Amoled screens, or so that's what HTC said. More likely Samsung needed efforts and supplies for the Galaxy line. But none of that should affect the Droid in any way...They went with an LED screen for the x. But with these companies you never know, hopefully we shouldnt see any shortages.

Yea, my iPhone 4 was gone the next day, Garbage is a good word to describe it, sad but true. Maybe they'll wow me with the next model number 5...lol

I hear that.

Upvote 0
I would do as much instore as possible. If your want to keep your number I would go the ATT first (maybe on the 14th) and start the porting out process. Then you can go to a Verizon corporate store early on the 15th and grab an X. If keeping your number doesn't matter to you then it really doesn't matter which store you go to first.

Just my personal preference. Some prefer actually calling CS. I can't imagine the phone traffic Verizon CS will have on the 15th, what with people calling in to order, and reps calling in with activations and port requests.

If I order online Verizon cannot port my #? I have to go in-store for that? I am trying to avoid paying the extra $100 and I don't wanna do the rebate.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure you HAVE to go instore, but no you cannot start a port request via verizonwireless.com(atleast not that I've seen) You might want to try calling in to customer service. they may or may not be able to get you online pricing over the phone. (I'm sure its not policy to wave or credit rebates, but I've seen telesales give people really good deals before) but again you risk your call not going thru with all the people that will be calling in. I personally wouldn't sweat paying the rebate instore. I would just think of it as a good way to save 100 bucks for a couple of weeks.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure you HAVE to go instore, but no you cannot start a port request via verizonwireless.com(atleast not that I've seen) You might want to try calling in to customer service. they may or may not be able to get you online pricing over the phone. (I'm sure its not policy to wave or credit rebates, but I've seen telesales give people really good deals before) but again you risk your call not going thru with all the people that will be calling in. I personally wouldn't sweat paying the rebate instore. I would just think of it as a good way to save 100 bucks for a couple of weeks.

yeah i will have to find out which way is allowed to complete the Port request. it would be weird that they wouldn't allow people to Port their # online. I believe now if you go to Verizon's site you can port your # can't you?

Upvote 0
I stand corrected. I just simulated a purchase and there is an option to port from another carrier. So that may be your best option. I would save my order information and confirmation emails and call customer service just to be sure everything went thru ok. Maybe its just me, but I don't like leaving things like this to chance, so I would need another set of eyes on the other end to verify everything went thru as planned.

Upvote 0
I stand corrected. I just simulated a purchase and there is an option to port from another carrier. So that may be your best option. I would save my order information and confirmation emails and call customer service just to be sure everything went thru ok. Maybe its just me, but I don't like leaving things like this to chance, so I would need another set of eyes on the other end to verify everything went thru as planned.

definitely, good idea.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones