I heard a blackberry can do it, can the hero?

Last Updated:

1. kobyjd

kobyjd Active Member This Topic's Starter

I was talking to my friend the other day, and supposedly her friend showed her how his blackberry when having no cell signal, could connect to a wifi signal, and then through that signal have service and call/text. Can the hero do that?

Advertisement
  2. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member

3. kobyjd

kobyjd Active Member This Topic's Starter

Wow that was a beautiful answer thank you!

4. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

T-mobile has the ability on many newer BlackBerries (and few other devices) and it is called UMA. No Android device currently supports UMA.

5. jUsT2eXy

BUT THEN

Thus:-

:confused:

But then:

Have a read @ this:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=64615712fa60176a&hl=en

6. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the hardware thing. I've read that there is dedicated hardware required for the seamless hand-off between the towers and wifi (so you don't drop the call), but not sure if I believe that. Either way, none of the current Android devices support UMA (whether it is software only or hardware required). I really hope it is software only and that it will come soon...

7. jUsT2eXy

Motorola Morrison does :p

8. jUsT2eXy

When I was reasing this htread.. I remmebrd that Vodaphone offered a service / product they call "Vodaphone Access Gateway"..

Mobile Phone Signal Booster ? Vodafone Access Gateway

I wondered what the difference was (Femtocell..which is what the Gateway is and UMA)..

Here's the answer.. I thought it was interesting..

So there we have it.. It's software based.. Would be great if next firmware included this option..

Orange UK give you a LIVEBOX with there ADSL broadband.. so using the Livebox you can use there UMA service which is called 'Unique'

9. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about this device. But from what I just read it "could have been" released as the Motorola Cliq. Motorola Morrison passes FCC (Updated) | TmoToday
    Motorola Morrison specs – Next T-Mobile Android phone – Android and Me

If that is the case, it doesn't have UMA.
    Moto Cliq page
    ..and Tmobile's page

As for your next post about the femtocell, that doesn't really answer the question about dedicated hardware since the femtocell IS the hardware (with software too). ;)

10. jUsT2eXy

If you read the underlined part it does have something to do with the question ins hand..

11. jUsT2eXy

If you read the underlined part it does have something to do with the question in hand..

I just thought that the above argument (UMA vs Femtocell) was interesting a good source of information in general that related to this thread.

UMA won't be as big as Femtocell technology due to the fact you simply have less choice when purchasing handsets as you will need to buy a UMA compatible handset (at the moment there are not many)...

Either way you will have to be tied to a specific carrier..:eek:

Edit: Correction.. with Orange you can still use UMA even if you are not using Orange broadband..provided you have a UMA tariff / compatible phone