I held out with 1.5 and am PROUDGeneral

Last Updated:

1. neogenesis

neogenesis Active Member This Topic's Starter

Title says it all. With the impending 2.1 OTA, I'm glad to say I held out on 1.5 :D (Of course I've only had the phone for a little over a month.....oh well, none the less)

Just wanted to start a fun little thread about exercising will power in the face of temptation ;)

So let's hear it if you waited successfully

(Pretty sure I can add Frisco to the list)

Advertisement
  2. xAusTiN

xAusTiN Well-Known Member

I hope the OTA never comes and you've wasted your time....
    jk

But congrats on having more patience than everyone else.

3. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Nice job. I think you will be more than pleased with the improved performance, not to mention all of the new features you will soon be enjoying. Good luck.

4. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I waited up until the time that it was clear that it was possible to root and also roll completely back to stock 1.17.605.1 ("1.5 MR2"), if that is what I wanted to do. (I did it once to prove the point, but haven't looked back since.)

After that, there was nothing to be lost by rooting, and something to gain.

But waiting at least that long did save me from falling into to "leak" trap. ;)

eu1

5. polizi212

polizi212 Well-Known Member

I have been able to resist the urge to root and leak I want the offical stuff from VZW

6. mdeblaz

mdeblaz Well-Known Member

I got the Eris in November, and from day one I was waiting for the update. I finally caved with 2.1 v3... Go figure, it was only days prior to the (supposed) official. Oh well, I'm happy with the leak, and the OTA will only be better

7. The_shake_down

The_shake_down Well-Known Member

I am still on the 1.5 train.

Mostly because my husband wouldn't let me instal the leak...But that's neither here nor there.:p

8. kbergou21

kbergou21 Well-Known Member

Hah yeah I'm still on 1.5 as well, now that we have tomorrow (well today) as the tentative release date, I will continue waiting til the end of the month...
    I haven't minded 1.5 until the last month or so when my phone really started to tank

9. cmonster

cmonster Well-Known Member

I've held out and since I don't want to jinx anything, I am going to continue holding out until OTA arrives. I've had my phone since January.
    Why did I hold out? Because I know that I have enough tech acumen not to mess up and brick my phone, but I don't trust the various components enough not to fail at just the wrong time. Then I'd have a dead phone and no recourse. And I know my wife well enough to know that she'd wouldn't let be buy a new smartphone at full price.

Also, I felt like there is probably a good enough reason that VZW hadn't released yet. Honestly, I'd rather just get the smoothest, fully supported experience I can get. I never felt the need to screw around with the leak and then screw around with all the little issues that invariably crop up with such things. They may not make your phone a brick, but they do consume time to manage.

So anyway, that's why I've waited and continue to wait.

10. Mark16q

Mark16q Well-Known Member

I've waited and will continue to wait for the real thing. There were many years I was the first to try beta versions or various pieces of software or hardware, and had too many disasters to go back there. First and foremost, I need a phone that works and can't risk messing it up. And if it does mess up, I just don't have the time to wrestle with it so I can use it.

Don't get me wrong..thrilled if the OtA happens soon, but glad the phone has been working somewhat consistently. I was pretty tempted a couple of weeks ago, but after playing with my son's Incredible, didn't see anything critically different that couldn't wait.

11. iggypop123

iggypop123 Well-Known Member

i waited, but damn it was tough. especially since battery life continues to suck. my phone lags alot whenever i try to open a pdf or twitter. i need that update

12. TheMortallyWounded

TheMortallyWounded Well-Known Member

I'm with you guys. Had this since April 5th and have not rooted dor installed any leaks. Works fine without 2.1, but I want Google Navigation. The full Android Market will be nice too. Nothing else matters to me allthat much... except it will also be nice to pinch-zoom Google Maps without flicking to Nova Scotia. :wink:

13. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

Been waiting since December... it was so entertaining just sitting back and watching all the leak and root chatter and issues. But of course, I'll be very excited to get the update when it's ready and hopefully mostly bug free.

14. jfp2004

jfp2004 Active Member

Just when I was going to root. Now I'm torn between waiting to see if the OTA really is going to start or just going ahead and rooting anyway. I might root anyway, and flash the 2.1 v3 rooted version, and then wait for someone to release a rooted version of the 2.1 OTA just in case any of the ROMs I'm eyeing fix the problems that would be deal breakers for me right now.

15. TheMortallyWounded

TheMortallyWounded Well-Known Member

Best bet... continue to wait. There's nothing so important as to risk screwing up your odds of getting a.clean update.

16. danmil05

danmil05 Well-Known Member

I've had this phone since the 23rd of Jan. It's funny because I was hoping the update would come before i brought it. I joined this site a couple days before i brought the phone and all I saw was topics about the update. The only reason I resisted the urge to root and leak is simply because the process looked difficult and I didn't want my phone to turn into a brick. I hope there was a way for people like us who waited to get the update first.

17. Chimpie

Chimpie Well-Known Member

I, too, waited because I didn't want to turn my phone into a brick. I rarely install beta versions on my every day computer. Why would I risk something like that with my one and only phone?

I hope that those with the leaked version are able to update just fine. That way we can send all the leaked version threads to the archives.

18. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

<--- waited patiently!

19. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

Same here. Got my Eris on launch day (November 6th, 2009). Been running nothing but official updates from Verizon ever since. I remember way back when the phone was new every time you restarted the phone all the names of apps would get all messed up. They would revert back to their base process name. For example, Amazon MP3 would be called: com.amazon.mp3 This would happen every time you update an app and then reboot. It was awful. The apps would all have cryptic names all over the place. They finally fixed that bug in the last update.

They still haven't fixed the bug where "all day" calendar appointments show up a day early in the HTC widget.

20. ludist210

ludist210 Well-Known Member

I've waited. The update is supposedly beginning today (being sent to phones over a two week period), so no reason to root now.

EDIT: Got my phone on December 22.

21. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

You're not the only one with 1.5, and I believe we're in the vast majority. These forums are populated by a small percentage of actual owners of the devices they are the subject of.

Most Eris owners out there have never heard of a "root" or "leak" and just use their phones happily.

22. shh

shh Well-Known Member

Don't understand what there is to be proud about. You've deprived yourself of useful apps such as the turn by turn nav which I used extensively on a recent vacation trip. Just don't see it I guess.

LexusBrian400 likes this.
  23. blacknite

blacknite Member

[​IMG]

still waiting for the ota to start.

24. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

I have waited as well... I set a deadline of this weekend to install Sense-able if the OTA didn't come, but now it sounds like it is, so I guess I'll be fine.

25. sed

sed Active Member

You guys don't know what you're missing by not rooting. You would still be able to have the new OTA update (it takes seconds to root it once we have the update) and you'd be able to overclock, remove apps that you don't want/need and run some great custom ROMs. You should really consider it before it's too late.