• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I hope I bought the right service plan :(

I completely understand that that is what you were told. I'm just encouraging you to call Verizon again directly and verify with someone else.

I've got the latest Verizon magazine in front of me explaining the plans, and it's quite clear that the Select plan does not include data. You can add a data package to Select for $29.

Just trying to help you out! The last thing you want is to end up with a pay-per-use data plan when you thought it was unlimited!!

Best of luck!!!
I think he said he already verified that the $29.99 add-on was applied. So somehow... he's getting the Select 900 plan for $49.99... which is pretty insane... and that's without applying his discount yet.

He essentially got the $29.99 add-on Data for free basically.

Upvote 0
done twice and verified online tonight. Did you not read my last post (2 up)?

You edited while I was typing.

I think he said he already verified that the $29.99 add-on was applied. So somehow... he's getting the Select 900 plan for $49.99... which is pretty insane... and that's without applying his discount yet.

possibly.
Regardless...whatever he has is not available to Verizon customers without some kind if glitch... I've got a 22% corporate discount, nationwide basic 900 ($59), data ($29), 250 text messaging ($5), insurance ($8). Bill is $86/month

Upvote 0

He essentially got the $29.99 add-on Data for free basically.

That is correct!

I've 2x verified voice and my online vz account reflects this.

It if turns out otherwise, I'll do a hate post :)

I can assure you that when I click on the tabs of my plan, I do have the correct unlimited.

I may not the norm though, hmmmm.

I guess... can anyone else verify this? Y'allz got me worried now :)

Upvote 0
I can assure you that it's not normal syntrix. I'm fairly sure the BB employee messed something up when ringing up your order and bypassed something.

Maybe you mentioned that you're supposed to have a 19% discount and he took it upon himself to adjust it. And then your corp discount applied because the VZ system does it automatically... I don't know; it sounds like user error, but it sounds like you're in the safe.

Upvote 0
I can assure you that it's not normal syntrix. I'm fairly sure the BB employee messed something up when ringing up your order and bypassed something.

Maybe you mentioned that you're supposed to have a 19% discount and he took it upon himself to adjust it. And then your corp discount applied because the VZ system does it automatically... I don't know; it sounds like user error, but it sounds like you're in the safe.

Oh trust me! I'm prepared to pay my normal price :)

I did bring up my badge and other things to start with, and I've 2x checked. :)

A friend was asking me about this plan I got and I emailed him about it, but he has only FB's that he got a droid and loves it.

My corp discount is on top of any contract. That's the way it work. The contract is the price. Then you can overlay your corp discount.

I think he was just hungry and did all the overrides so he could get out for lunch :)

AGAIN:
----------------------------
I have the BB book here, and the prices are LOWER than VZ online. Can anyone else confirm that they got a personal data plan ($30) and a deal combined?

Maybe I'm the black sheep here, lol!

Upvote 0
The only difference between a "Select" and a "Basic" plan is that "Select" includes unlimited text messaging.

To use a Motorola Droid on Verizon, you get one of those plans (and they each come in different prices depending on whether you're getting 450, 900, 1350, or unlimited CALLING minutes). AND you add onto it a "Data" plan which is $29.99 for UNLIMITED data for a personal phone (or $44.99 for a corporate account phone).

The "Connect" plan does NOT apply to Droid phones. Period.

When I look at Verizon Wireless online, it shows me, for example, Basic w/900 minutes at $59.99 or Select w/900 minutes at $79.99. (Again, the Select - but NOT the Basic - includes unlimited texting). To use the Droid phone as anything more than just a phone, you ALSO have to add on to it a $29.99 unlimited DATA plan.

Now, when I say this is what I see online at Verizon website (and what has been verified to me by a Verizon store mngr in my region and was ALSO stated to me by a Verizon customer service guy on the phone a week ago) ... it may be that it shows DIFFERENT rates to folks depending on your geographic area. So perhaps "your mileage may differ" because when you enter your zipcode or your present phone # on-line or to VW customer service, they are quoting you the fees for YOUR region. (I don't know if the fees they quote vary by region, but I am just saying that could explain how some of us get different answers to the same question!)

p.s. I'm in the Washington DC metro region.

Upvote 0
I think what perhaps happened with the Best Buy deal that syntrix got is perhaps the store clerk mistakenly DID give him a Verizon "Connect" plan which INCLUDES unlimited data even though the Droid phone is NOT eligible for the "Connect" plan.

The "Connect" plan is for more, shall we say, "traditional" smartphone like a Blackberry and -- although the VW website doesn't make this clear -- it cannot be used for a more advanced phone like the Droid.

Since the VW website is NOT clear about this, is it not possible for human error to be involved -- with someone at Best Buy or even someone from VW getting confused about this?

Upvote 0
I think what perhaps happened with the Best Buy deal that syntrix got is perhaps the store clerk mistakenly DID give him a Verizon "Connect" plan which INCLUDES unlimited data even though the Droid phone is NOT eligible for the "Connect" plan.

The "Connect" plan is for more, shall we say, "traditional" smartphone like a Blackberry and -- although the VW website doesn't make this clear -- it cannot be used for a more advanced phone like the Droid.

Since the VW website is NOT clear about this, is it not possible for human error to be involved -- with someone at Best Buy or even someone from VW getting confused about this?
Considering syntrix said he called and asked of the $29.99 data plan was applied, I doubt it. In either case the Connect 900 plan is not $79.99, it's $89.99 so that theory is somewhat out there.

Upvote 0
Nope I'm an epic fail, but at the expense of a BB employee.

I got it straight now. The data was NOT included, but I could potentially have a legal contract here :)

With my plan of 900+unlimtxt+unlimdata, and my corp discount it would be:

$97 and some change + tax

Yeah, too good to be true, but FINALLY a competent rep on VZ, yay!

But she did something special for me. Split the data/txt from the voice, and that knocks it down to $94. I don't know the details, but this works for me!

So I was wrong. I relayed the BB employee info, AND my contract info! But in the end I'm ethical and I'm going to be paying what I should be paying in the end!

Upvote 0
Nope I'm an epic fail, but at the expense of a BB employee.

I got it straight now. The data was NOT included, but I could potentially have a legal contract here :)

With my plan of 900+unlimtxt+unlimdata, and my corp discount it would be:

$97 and some change + tax

Yeah, too good to be true, but FINALLY a competent rep on VZ, yay!

But she did something special for me. Split the data/txt from the voice, and that knocks it down to $94. I don't know the details, but this works for me!

So I was wrong. I relayed the BB employee info, AND my contract info! But in the end I'm ethical and I'm going to be paying what I should be paying in the end!
Hm...

Let's do the math then.

PDA/Smartphone Nationwide Email & Messaging - 900 - $119.99
900 Voice, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data. No needed addition. $119.99

Nationwide Select - 900 - $79.99

900 Voice, Unlimited Text. $29.99 Data. Added to $109.98.

Nationwide Basic - 900 - $59.99 (You were assigned this plan)
900 Voice. $54.99 Unlimited Text and Data. Added to $114.98.

Nationwide Basic - 900 - $59.99
900 Voice. $34.99 Unlimited Text. $29.99 Data. Added to $124.97.

This is before your discount BTW.

Sorry about not having that great deal, but at least you know now. If you used it and had no data plan, they would have raped your wallet for the amount of data you would have used.

Upvote 0
I'm sure that's close. I posted my final costs, but to me even my final costs are still border line for me paying out.

But I do travel, and having highspeed data access for an "always on" device is what I need.
Nationwide Select - 900 - $79.99
900 Voice, Unlimited Text. $29.99 Data. Added to $109.98.

$109.98 - 19% = $89.08

Nationwide Basic - 900 - $59.99 (You were assigned this plan)
900 Voice. $54.99 Unlimited Text and Data. Added to $114.98.

$114.98 - 19% = $93.13

Since you said $94, then I believe you got the latter of the two plans.

I hope you travel within the US because there's no CDMA in Europe and Asia... Shame it wasn't a World Phone; I LOVE World Phones.

Upvote 0
I'm sure that's close. I posted my final costs, but to me even my final costs are still border line for me paying out.

But I do travel, and having highspeed data access for an "always on" device is what I need.

I'm far more scared because my plan shows BASIC plan at $59 for 900 mins. Basic = $199 per meg though and that isn't an option for the Droid. Their computer shouldn't have let us have the plans we got.

I'm betting many people won't catch this and Verizon is going to be refunding some upset customers when they get their bills.

MOMMY! :D

Upvote 0
I'm far more scared because my plan shows BASIC plan at $59 for 900 mins. Basic = $199 per meg though and that isn't an option for the Droid. Their computer shouldn't have let us have the plans we got.

I'm betting many people won't catch this and Verizon is going to be refunding some upset customers when they get their bills.

MOMMY! :D
You can have a Basic 900 plan with your Droid, but you have to get a $29.99 Data Plan to go with it. I tried to bypass it on the Verizon website and there's no way around it.

Upvote 0
You can have a Basic 900 plan with your Droid, but you have to get a $29.99 Data Plan to go with it. I tried to bypass it on the Verizon website and there's no way around it.

Make that $1.99 per meg not $199! And yes I did bypass it through I didn't mean to. This was at Best Buy. My total plan cost is $59.95 before discount but I also suspect I'm paying as-go pricing for data.

See my other thread for cut and paste from VW website.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones