• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I just bought a Droid for $200. What do I do?

Ill give you $50 - $90 because of the esn. and silly the motorola droid is a flagship phone what would make you think that they have sim card it cant surf the bweb and talk on the phone like Att Shite phones lol

Who truly cares about that anyway and you also should realize that that ONLY works in 3G areas which good luck with AT&T. That is way over rated and I have never missed it and since it is ONLY on 3G it seems pretty rare you can even do it.

Upvote 0
Somebody offered me a Droid for $200 but I realized it doesn't take SIM cards and I'm not with Verizon.

Is $200 a good deal? Cuz now I'm trying to sell it.

He said the phone' ESN may be linked to another account so how do I clear it and sell it?

Sounds fishy? There's no way to clear that if it's on the lost and/or stolen list. Now, if the account was just in bad standing then that's a different story.

Upvote 0
gaiz, gaiz why do you all assume its a bad ESN? Can't it be a good ESN?

Here's a good sign:

I went into the Phone Info and checked Status. The phone number is exactly the same as the phone number of the guy who sold it to me (he also has a Droid). The only thing different is the last digit.

Can it be possible he bought two Droids and just sold one of them? If this is the case what are the steps required to activate the phone for someone else?

I'm assuming you just take it to a Verizon store and ask to have your account transferred over to the Droid.

Upvote 0
First I would say call Verizon and see if it is stolen, but be clear -- you may have to turn it in and you are out of luck. Maybe just put a sob story on twitter and home someone hooks you up. If your story is legit, and can be proven, maybe someone will help - see giveaways often from various sites.

Assuming it is not stolen, but for some reason can't be activated, you can still try to sell it as a wifi only device. I know it sounds crazy, but I am sure someone would like it just for wifi at home.

I don't know that I would pay $200 but if it was a steal (get it) I would consider getting one just to have another Droid to play with at home.

Reactions: Squishy Crayons
Upvote 0
gaiz, gaiz why do you all assume its a bad ESN? Can't it be a good ESN?

Here's a good sign:

I went into the Phone Info and checked Status. The phone number is exactly the same as the phone number of the guy who sold it to me (he also has a Droid). The only thing different is the last digit.

Can it be possible he bought two Droids and just sold one of them? If this is the case what are the steps required to activate the phone for someone else?

I'm assuming you just take it to a Verizon store and ask to have your account transferred over to the Droid.

Why don't you test your theory and take it to the VZW store have them activate it under your account. If they can, then it's great if they can't then you're out $200. Either way, it looks like to me...that's either a stolen phone or a phone that has an outstanding balance due to early term fee or a past due cell bill. Which makes the ESN bad.

Reactions: Squishy Crayons
Upvote 0
SWWEEEEET!! It's clear baby!!

I followed you advice guys. Thanks for the help.

I just picked up the phone dialed their number put on my most countryish, rednecksish, hillbilly accent and gave Elizabeth the MEID.

She comes back in a 5 minutes and tells me it's fine sir. You can take it to a Verizon store and get it actvated.

Awesome.

The only thing I have to complain about is the utter silence whle she put me on hold. Verizon really needs to get some hold music as rich as they are

thx gaiz!!

Upvote 0
SWWEEEEET!! It's clear baby!!

I followed you advice guys. Thanks for the help.

I just picked up the phone dialed their number put on my most countryish, rednecksish, hillbilly accent and gave Elizabeth the MEID.

She comes back in a 5 minutes and tells me it's fine sir. You can take it to a Verizon store and get it actvated.

Awesome.

The only thing I have to complain about is the utter silence whle she put me on hold. Verizon really needs to get some hold music as rich as they are

thx gaiz!!

LIAR!!!! jk. :D

Anyways, no contract = great deal. That phone is worth $200 with or without a contract.

Edit: Oh wait, you said you were trying to sell it, right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones