I just don't get it...[wifi that is]Support

Last Updated:

1. MSU Fan

MSU Fan Active Member This Topic's Starter

Everytime, through multiple different networks at different times, I try to connect through wifi to access the net. In my head, this makes perfectly logical sense. Case in point, at my work, I am in a basement with no 3g/phone carrier signal AT ALL. But I have a very good wifi signal. I can access, log in, and use this signal if I wish. However, upon doing so, I still cannot access my gmail, internet, marketplace, or any other thing that I believe I should be able to. I have also tried this at a hotel, my home, and a hotspot coffee shop. Am I doing something wrong here? I seem to be able to access and connect (as the wireless networks list tells me I am connected), but I can't seem to do anything useful with it.

Can you help me be able to use this service, or at least to tell me why I can't and I can stop worrying about this??? Thanks!!!

Advertisement
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

I'd start with trying to troubleshoot just your home connection. Connect your phone to the router and try to ping your phone from another computer on the network to make sure your phone is properly connecting.

3. MSU Fan

TIA - what is the command to ping my phone? And if I cannot ping it, what should be my next step to resolve this? A call to Verizon?

4. sdrawkcab25

if you are windows, you would open up a command prompt and type in ping (whatever your ip address your phone is getting). On a mac you would open up terminal and do the same thing. If you can't ping your phone it could very well be a hardware issue.

MSU Fan likes this.
  5. MSU Fan

Thank you again - where do I find my phone's IP address?

6. sdrawkcab25

go to "menu" > settings > wireless & networks >Wi-fi Settings> and click on the network you are connected to, it should show your ip address

MSU Fan likes this.
  7. MSU Fan

well, i know I was advised to start at my home network, but here at work, where I am presently connected, the ping response was as follows:

Packets Sent: 4, Received: 4, Lost: 0
    Approximate Round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum: 183ms, Maximum: 533ms, Average: 330ms

So apparently my work PC can find my Incredible on its network. I'll try this at home as well, but what else should I try here?

8. sdrawkcab25

Well your work might block access to the internet on unauthorized devices. Try downloading terminal from the market and pinging a website by first typing "su" without the quotes and press enter. Then type ping google.com and press enter and let it ping a few times. Press and hold the trackball and hit the letter c to stop it from pinging. FYI if the keyboard dissapears press menu and press the button for the soft keyboard.

9. MSU Fan

Well, for whatever odd reason, my home access worked fine for WIFI, so I guess that you are right about my work blocking access, even though I can connect. Maybe some setting I need to alter. Thanks for the help.

10. sdrawkcab25

Yeah some routers can require you to sign into a vpn or have certain software installed before allowing access to the internet to prevent malware from infecting the network.