• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I just got a message from AT&T about an update....

reinbeau

Klaatu barada nikto
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
I just received a message from AT&T that an important software update is available for my Samsung Captivate. They're letting me know I can update to Android 2.2. Isn't that nice of them? Of course I've been running 2.2.1 since January 5th
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I thought I wouldn't get the notice because I'm on a custom ROM...or is it I just wouldn't be able to update? Not that I really care, I'll never depend on Samsung or AT&T again for anything.

I got the message too. I went to the AT&T store where I bought the Captivate 6 weeks ago---they did not know how to update the firmware. So, I went to another store (Houston has lots of them) and no one there knew what it meant. Went to one more and they said that they could not/would not update any phones. I came home, followed the instructions, and it took only 2 tries to get the download to work--so far, I've had to re-install 2 apps and put a few back on my screens. Otherwise, no complaints.

Upvote 0
I just received a message from AT&T that an important software update is available for my Samsung Captivate. They're letting me know I can update to Android 2.2. Isn't that nice of them? Of course I've been running 2.2.1 since January 5th
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I thought I wouldn't get the notice because I'm on a custom ROM...or is it I just wouldn't be able to update? Not that I really care, I'll never depend on Samsung or AT&T again for anything.

We received this text on both of our Cappys. I am rooted w/Serendipity 6.2 and she is already stock Froyo. Then I try to go to the webpage on the phone, and it says webpage not found.

Way to go, AT&T - keep up the good work!

Mike

Upvote 0
I got the txt from AT&T around 8pm today (3/18). I'm guessing they wanted to be sure it was safe before directly telling all their users about it. Seems like it was a "catch all" message.

@meohman1 - If you view the full message the link does work, it leads to the Samsung page that tells of the "official" 2.2 update and how to perform it. AKA here

I'm disappointed in the messaging app for stupidly putting into the browser the partial address, when it knows there is more text. I would have thought the app could pull the full address from the complete message, but nope. Smartphones huh :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I am here today to state I took the plunge and updated from Eclair 2.1 to Froyo 2.2. I will say I was nervous as hell since seeing some on here had bricked their phones. As USUAL you guys/gals on here have yet come thru for me once again!!! I have to say this is by far my favorite site, more so than ANY other! People on here are patient, kind, very knowledgeable, and fun to converse with....will this update change my mind on the whole Samsung product line...probably NOT... Just their silence since I have had the phone, July(launch date), really bothered me. To me this is just not good customer service, nor standing behind your product...but I am NOW running 2.2 and is running pretty smooth.....But I wanted to give a Warm T H A N K Y O U to this forum :)

Reactions: msueagles2010
Upvote 0
can someone please help? this can not be this difficult.

so...

i delete the version of Kies Mini off of my computer (running XP Pro 32 bit) and download the Kies Mini from the samsund site. (How Do I Update The Software On My AT&T SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone To Android 2.2 (Froyo) Through Kies Mini For PC?)

i then go to [FONT=&quot]Step 3: Configuring Device/Driver Install
[/FONT]

1. On the phone, USB Debugging should be enabled. To do this, go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. Tap Ok to the message. i do this without a problem
  2. Plug the cable into the phone and then into the computer. The computer should detect new hardware and install automatically. It will do this for several devices and may take a few moments. i do this and wait for several minutes and nothing happens.
  3. Unplug the cable from the phone and power off the device. Hold down both the volume up & down keys while inserting the data cable. The phone will enter a Downloading mode. The computer will then install the rest of the driver files. If there is a problem with Windows finding the driver, let it search online to grab them. Once the computer has finished, unplug the device from the computer, remove the cover, remove the battery, insert the battery, and place the cover back on. Lastly, power on the device. i try this for sh1ts and gigs and again nothing happens
  4. Restart the computer. then i restart my computer.

i then proceed to [FONT=&quot]Step 4: Device Upgrading
[/FONT]

i open up Kies Mini plug in my phone and click on "Phone Upgrade". Kies then disappears and i get this error message.

untitled-3.jpg

i click dont send and then i get this

111-3.jpg

i click ok and Kies comes back. :(

WTF!!!

can someone please help.

thank you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones