• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I just got my epic 4g..

did you buy you phone used? If you just got it from lets say a Sprint store or other retailer it should have come with at least Froyo 2.2.1. I purchased mine brand new at OfficeMax and it had Froyo. I've had to exchange my phone 3 times in about 3 weeks and they all had Froyo.

Outside of that have you tried downloading the Gingerbread update directly by going to this link: How to manually update your Sprint Epic 4G to Gingerbread | Android Central

I would guess if you can't go that route it just won't work but lets see what others have to say before you go forward. I don't want to be responsible for anything going wrong. Also one other thing you might want to try is going into your settings>about phone>system updates>update android. At the very least that should allow you to update if you can.

Jim

Upvote 0
For some reason I've had nothing but bad luck with the Epic 4G that Sprint kept telling me to get an exchange at the place it was purchased. Only cost $37 out the door which my niece purchased for me as an early b-day present back in Aug 2011. Now that Gingerbread was pushed to our phones my phones has been like a fully functioning brand new phone. I was close to throwing my phone against the wall at least 100 times but kept experimenting and trying to get it working with the help of others here on the forums.

Gingerbread fixed everything and I really love this phone now. I only wish it had more internal memory, 512k just isn't enough. It needs at least 1mg but hey, for $37 I can't complain. All I need now is to be able to root my phone. Its a lot harder to do on a Mac so I've been stuck on stock phone.

Have you at least tried updating through the settings menu?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones