• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I just got updated - Cupcake

Any Ideas? Im going to try another Factory Reset, and remove my SD card and format it using my Card Reader, instead of formatting it while its still in my phone. See if that helps. Ill let you know what I find.

Okay so I took the SD Card out, Reformated it to FAT using my Card Reader and my computer. Reset the phone back to Factory Default...still no dice. Im wondering if my phone is still rooted and I need to unroot it. Im going to try that next. Stand By.

Upvote 0
If I alt+W it, am I going to have to Re-Root it? Not a big deal...just was hoping I wouldn't have to :p Take forever and a day.

Okay so I Alt+W it. Formatted Data. Formated Cache. Then I Alt+S and here is what it says

Installing from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:No signature (413 files)
E:Verification failed
Installation aborted.

I'm not particularly that knowledgeable when it comes to manual updates...
But I'm pretty sure that has something to do the update.zip file NOT being correct in some way.

You may want to try and re-download the file and possibly make a check to see if it's the right filesize and whatnot..

Upvote 0
Any Ideas? Im going to try another Factory Reset, and remove my SD card and format it using my Card Reader, instead of formatting it while its still in my phone. See if that helps. Ill let you know what I find.

Okay so I took the SD Card out, Reformated it to FAT using my Card Reader and my computer. Reset the phone back to Factory Default...still no dice. Im wondering if my phone is still rooted and I need to unroot it. Im going to try that next. Stand By.

Your SDCard needsto be formatted to FAT32 not just FAT ...

Once you copy the Update file to the /sdcard directory on the phone ....
Check it first by mounting the phone to the PC and checking the SDCard to be sure the file is listed as update.zip and that the icon by it shows as your system's default zipFile Icon...

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure Ive tried all this before but I will give it another go. Maybe something will be different this time. The SD card was in FAT32 the first time I tried this, and (in responce to Rozzac) Ive tried 3 or 4 different files :p But Here we go again. Stand By :)

P.S. I can just rename it to Update because my PC already recognizes it as a .Zip file, so if I were to rename it as Update.zip I would actually be renaming it Update.zip.zip

Update: Still no dice. Im going to follow the step to un-root it, even though it might already be from the Factory Reset i did, and maybe that will help.

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure Ive tried all this before but I will give it another go. Maybe something will be different this time. The SD card was in FAT32 the first time I tried this, and (in responce to Rozzac) Ive tried 3 or 4 different files :p But Here we go again. Stand By :)

P.S. I can just rename it to Update because my PC already recognizes it as a .Zip file, so if I were to rename it as Update.zip I would actually be renaming it Update.zip.zip

Update: Still no dice. Im going to follow the step to un-root it, even though it might already be from the Factory Reset i did, and maybe that will help.

Yes the thing you do NOT want is update.zip.zip ... When We Mention renaming to update.zip we mean the orginal file name ... xxxxxxxxxx.zip

My instruction was after you move the file to the SDCard was to Mount the SdCard and verify that the file was truly named as Update.zip ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones