• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I just ordered the K1 - Hope is doesn't suck...

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2011
I just ordered the IdeaPad K1 from Staples as a late Christmas present to myself and I'm already having buyer's remorse. While the price is right ($280 with free shipping), I'm wondering if this thing stinks?

The reviews make it sound like every other Tegra2/Honeycomb tablet built in the past 9 months. But there is very little support for the K1 which concerns me. And is there any chance that Lenovo will upgrade to ICS? Has anyone used the K1 and other tablets extensively enough to say that I made the right choice in buying it?

Thanks in advance!

I have to say that I feel the same way. Furthmore, I just noticed today that the unit is listed as "Temporarily unavailable" on Lenovo's own site). I took the first one back last weekend to Office Depot as it was constantly freezing and slow. My second unit is pretty decent, but now, I am too having buyer's remorse. I almost took it back to trade for a 1st Gen Asus Transformer, but I thought for the $100, this one will be good enough for now.

Good luck
Rob

I just ordered the IdeaPad K1 from Staples as a late Christmas present to myself and I'm already having buyer's remorse. While the price is right ($280 with free shipping), I'm wondering if this thing stinks?

The reviews make it sound like every other Tegra2/Honeycomb tablet built in the past 9 months. But there is very little support for the K1 which concerns me. And is there any chance that Lenovo will upgrade to ICS? Has anyone used the K1 and other tablets extensively enough to say that I made the right choice in buying it?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
I have the K1 over a week now. At first I was disappointed with update ROM and wireless robustness. But I manage to get the tab update to 3.2 and no issue after that. For the wireless lack luster, I had my old Netgear MR814 and it does not work well for the K1, connection keep dropping every couple seconds, I almost return it. I did a quick test, took the tab to Starbuck and the connection is 5 bars, then I know it was my wireless router is the problem. I now have the Netgear WNDR3800, and the second I turn on the setting for 5GHz, the K1 goes for 5 bars thru a wall.
Cool Apps: Navigation, FileMgmt., Hide It, AndroZip, Document To Go, Maps and other free junk games..
Glad it works for me.

Upvote 0
I scored mine at Office Depot for 299 - still don't have the cheapo case I bought off Ebay. Anywho - my wife hogs the Ipad (1st gen) so I noticed this option for 3 bills, not bad.
Going from the Apple os to Android was a bit of a pain in the butt, never used Android before. I have to say, I really like it. The wifi is stronger than the Ipad, our bed is on the opposite side of the house that has the router and no problems. The Ipad was really hit or miss from the bedroom.
One thing I don't care for is the spin wheel that holds 5-6 apps. I would rather be able to hold my website short cuts on that. It blows that I have to open the web to something like google, then go to bookmarks to get at the site I want. The Ipad is/was great for shortcuts to the homepage. Yes, you can add shortcuts to the Lenovo, but the first time you do a full shut down, they disappear?!?
The camera works ok, but my main goal is surfing, oh, the pdf reader is nice - Ipad doesnt have it.
I use a stylus with it, much easier for those small link taps.

Upvote 0
I've had my K1 for about a month now and am loving it. It was flaky with Android 3.1 but after the OTA 3.2.1 it has become more stable. I still have some programs crash from time to time.

I have a Hauppauge HD PVR on my pc which allows me to watch TV and record movies onto the computer. I installed Splashtop HD on the K1 which allows me to run programs from the tablet on the pc. I start the software like I'm going to record a movie on the pc and bring the program full screen. Splashtop then displays the full screen TV screen from the pc full screen on the tablet. I can now watch my Sharks hockey in the comfort of the livingroom while my wife watches her shows on the big screen. No more having to watch chick flicks. The video is a little choppy but I'm loving life.

I mainly use the tablet for surfing the web and checking email. I do play a few games on it without any problems. I bought mine at B&H Photo for $320 with free shipping and no tax. This was cheaper for me than buying it locally at Office Depot and paying taxes.

I'm looking for a way to root the tablet after upgrading to 3.2.1. I'm not having any luck. It would have to be fairly straight forward since I'm a noob to Android. I have rooted my HTC EVO 3D and my wife's Samsung Epic 4G with the aid of noob instructions. I hope they come out with a ClockworkMod for the K1 as I like to use this for backups.

Upvote 0
@DimondDaveTV - download the Dolphin HD browser for free from the Market. I like it a lot better than the stock android browser. You long press the browser screen and slide your finger right. A box pops open on the left displaying all of your bookmarks. You can change it to display history which I use a lot. I like the fact that the app has an exit button.

Upvote 0
So I've had my K1 for a few weeks, and my initial elation has waned a bit, and I'm even considering taking it back. I'm really annoyed about the lack of a full functioning Android Market, the lack of developer support, and the lack of any indication of ICS. Not to mention, a so-so screen and weak speakers.

I bought the K1 for $280 from Staples with free shipping and I bought a cover from Lenovo for $18. All in, it cost me $320 including tax/delivery, so I think it's still a great bang for the buck. But prices are coming down on all tabs so I may return it and wait for something else.

Acer is releasing a brand new device next week for $330 and they have said that ICS will be available on it in Feb. Granted, it doesn't have a camera, but I'm ok with that.

I'm gonna give it a little more time. Hopefully Lenovo will be more forthcoming with information.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones