i just tried to root and it didnt work out at all..

Last Updated:

1. lakai113

lakai113 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i used this to try to root..How to: Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

and well when i hook up my phone to my computer its telling me that it can install the driver. (its never done this before when i had 2.1) the sdk program wont even do screen shots for me so thats the main reason i am trying to root.. i know thats a dumb reason but still.. i know this isnt much info but its all i got for you.. i did run the root program and it said my phone is now rooted and no errors occurred.. i know its not rooted cause the screen shot apps are not working on my phone.. it there any tips you guys have for me?

Advertisement
  2. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

if you have usb debugging on, you may need to turn it off and then connect your phone to the comp. (this is a problem i experienced with the leak) once its plugged in it will install the drivers. then unplug and recheck usb debugging and you should be set.

3. lakai113

i did that and it all worked but the root still wont go through.. i have done all the usb installs and everything.... lol i this is getting so annoying..

4. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Well-Known Member

Kind of a stupid question... but have you rebooted the phone after you did the root process?

5. lakai113

lol yes i rebooted everytime.. i tried it about 6 times now.... i do have this question though, when i click the DOROOT bat file it opens up but it says ..
    "ADB is not recognized as an internal or external command" it says this over and over again but it does follow through the whole thing and at the end it does say something like "your phone should now be rooted. no errors" something like that.. this is the "one click root" process.. i have done everything in the instruction to my knowledge and it just wont work..

i just dont get it..

6. NWEng

NWEng Member

I believe you don't have your SDK tools directory added to your path variable on your computer, or you're not running it from the tools directory. If you Google "Android SDK install" you'll find the info to walk you through getting that set up. (I'd look myself for you; but, I'm in the middle of some network changes for work ATM.)

7. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

this is exactly right.

click start, right click computer, advanced system settings, advanced tab, click Environment Variables at the bottom, find path, and double click on it, and add the path to your tools folder (if you put sdk in a folder named "android" on the root of your c: drive, the path would be "C:\android\tools")

adding the tools folder to the path allows the computer to recognize the adb command when you're in any directory other than the tools directory. if the path isnt added, the computer has no clue what you're talking about when you start yappin about adb.

8. sund0wn

if you cant figure that out, just use this method...

via rootzwiki (edited to help you):

extract all the files here -> http://www.wikifilez.com/root%20files/droid2/droid2root.rar to your sdk tools folder.

then, just copy and paste each of these commands.

Open command prompt (start, run, cmd)
    - cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
    - adb devices (to verify the connection)
    - adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - adb shell
    - cd data/local/tmp
    - chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- let the process run until it returns you to your tools directory
    - adb devices (to verify the connection)
    - adb shell (you should now have a # prompt)
    - exit

- cd wherever your tools folder is
    - adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    - adb push su /system/bin/su
    - adb push busybox /system/bin/busybox
    - adb shell
    - chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    - chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    - exit
    it's really not that hard. and, without the path added, you just need to put all of the files wherever your tools folder is, and copy and paste those commands into cmd. my tools folder is at c:\android\tools

and, at the point where the command prompt tells you to reset the adb server on the desktop, just pull the usb cable out and put it right back in.

Read this again if you read it before where i had the link to the droid x page. i edited it a bunch. this method is pretty easy.

9. lakai113

man i feel like a ******.. i get to the third step "adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin" and its telling me

"cannot stat "rageaganistthecage-arm5.bin" : no such file or directory

10. lakai113

but i do see the file in the DoRootForWindows folder.. i dont get it

11. sund0wn

put all the files in sdk's tools folder, and start again.

not just a folder, but all the individual files.

12. charlesbeebe

charlesbeebe Well-Known Member

Like they said above, you need to have the path to your sdk folder set correctly and the adb server running. It doesn't sound like your on Linux, but if you are, make sure the capitols are capitalized because its case sensitive.

13. lakai113

i figured it out.. my mistake was that i just have the root folder in the tools section.. i just needed the files in the tools section.. took me a minute to figure that out..
    i feel kinda dumb but ohh well. i am now rooted and thanks for all the help.. im gled you guys take it easy on the newbs..haha..

14. crboone

crboone Well-Known Member

Double post ...

15. crboone

crboone Well-Known Member

Ok -- after running it 3-4x it finally worked. Carry on. :)