I JUST want slide lock on a delay!Support

Last Updated:

1. garygm

garygm New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey, I have an EVO, and what I would like is to have just the slide lock screen come up after X amount of minutes. I like being able to see the screen status at all times, but still want it to be locked.

I know that a lot of people don't like the slide lock, but I would rather have that than have to press the power button to wake the screen back up, and then do the slide lock.

Is there some way I can do this through phone settings, or is there an app that can help?

Thanks
    Gary

Advertisement
    ralber likes this.
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Im not sure what you're asking. Do you want the screen to be on at all times? The only way to get to the lock screen is to hit the power button.

3. ralber

ralber Member

I know what I want. When the screen shuts off and I have to hit the power button on my Nexus One to turn the screen back on, I'd like it to display the last screen I was working on rather than the slide lock display. If I've pressed the power button to restore the display why does the phone require me to slide the green lock bar over to the right just to get back to where I was? I find I have to do this way too many times each day, sometimes in the middle of a phone call! It's the most annoying behavior of my Nexus One.

4. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

ralber: perhaps it's because you don't understand the purpose of the lock screen.

The reason it exists is in case you press the power button accidentally while in your pocket or something. That way you're not pocket dialing, the screen isn't on for extended periods for no reason, and the volume isn't suddenly going full volume in the middle of a meeting.

5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

ralber: There is a guy over at XDA that has found a way to completely disable the lockscreen. He supplies a zip for lock on and off...and claims to be working on more oprtions...you have to be rooted to use this method

[MOD] Disable ALL lockscreens for HTC Sense ROMs - xda-developers

if you are not rooted check out
    No Lock - Android app on AppBrain

gary..I am not sure I quite understand what it is that you are looking for. You want the screen to come on and show the lockscreen by itself every ten minutes without hitting the power button?

6. garygm

garygm New Member This Topic's Starter

OK, maybe I wasn't very clear before. What I want is similar to other open face phones I have had in the past that have a 'lock/unlock' feature. When you lock the phone it won't butt-dial anyone, but the screen is still on. I don't want my phone to completely turn off the screen, and then have to go through 2 steps to unlock it.

I want the screen that says 'slide down to unlock' showing all the time. Now, if the screen dimmed to conserve battery life, that would be great. So when it is 'locked' like this, you could still see the time, battery bar and update bar at the top of the phone without having to press the power button to wake the whole screen back up.

So, just to try to be clear. After X amount of time of inactivity, I want the phone to lock the screen. But not where the screen shuts down, just to a screen lock. Then, when I want to use it, all I have to do is slide down on the screen and I'm good to go. No pressing the power button on top, and then sliding the screen, just sliding the screen.

This EVO has more computing power than the entire Apollo program, so I know it's possible, but for the life of me I can't figure this out.

And, I know having the screen on all the time uses battery life, but even with the screen blacked out all the time this phone won't last a single work day without needing a charge! That is terrible! I would trade quite a few of the extra features for an extra day or two of battery life.

Anyways, thanks for your help,
    Gary

7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be impossible Gary. I just don't know that anyone has developed a method for doing it. You may be able to change your timeout setting to none it will dim if not used but I don't recall.

As for your battery...look through the accessories forum at extended battery options..there are multiple. I went with the sprint extended battery and just finished a day of a 22+ hrs worth of charge...and I wasn't trying to conserve (phone was awake 6hrs)

you might also take a look at the battery tweaks and settings threads in tips and tricks

I will keep an eye out for something that does what you are looking for. Keep in mind that this type of function may require super user permissions (root)

Have you used the desk clock function of the phone before? you could set up a short cut to the desk clock...it does not lock , dims the screen, and displays a clock. I honestly think that is where someone would best start with developing something for this. simply add that the desk clock also display the notification bar.

8. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

I've had similar frustrations. I found that SwitchPro ($.99 app) gives a lot of toggle widgets. They have a screen lock toggle that gives me sort of what you want, but it's not 100% consistent. Allow me to explain.

When you turn off the screen lock, and the screen goes blank, you can turn the screen back on using ANY of the outside three buttons (power, volume up, or volume down) and there is no slider to unlock the screen. I really like this feature as it keeps me from wearing out the power button. However, like I said, this isn't 100%. Sometimes, the screen lock turns itself back on, and the toggle does not indicate this. I usually turn it on and back off whenever this happens.

I have not yet determined what causes the screen lock to toggle itself on. I have noticed that long periods of inactivity (the kind that will put the phone into standby mode will tend to re-enable the lock screen. As mentioned, I just toggle it on and back off with the widget, and I am good to go.

I am also not sure how this affects the security code to unlock the phone. When my screen lock is on, I have it set to 2 minutes. The security code is set to 5 minutes of inactivity. I've only been doing this for a few days now and can't provide anymore information.

If you want to spend $.99 to see if this works for you, go ahead, but don't blame me if it's not what you were looking for. I boguht these toggles because there are only a few of them that support 4G toggle, and this one happens to come with 21 other toggles...and has a transparent skin which gives a sweet look. All for just $.99. It was after playing with the toggles that I found the screen lock toggle.

I can turn off my screen and turn it back on without having to work the slider. I can even turn the screen back on with the volume keys if I want...and that usually stay like this all day (except when it toggles itself back to screen lock)

Also worth noting, SwitchPro also has a toggle for the screen timeout. This makes it quick and easy to increase the timeout from 2 minutes to 10, or even 30 minutes.

Is any of this what you are looking for?

9. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

Also gary, if you think battery life is bad now, wait until you leave the screen on like that. It will absolutely ruin the battery life (we're talking probably 4-5 hours at most).

10. ralber

ralber Member

I am no running No Lock and it does just what I want it to do on my Nexus One. I no longer have to use two hands to swipe my finger across an unlock screen. When my phone times out and goes dark I just hit the power button or volume rocker and I'm back to where I was. Perfect.

Mr. Ed likes this.