• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I keep getting ER05 Invalid SIM,

This is a phone I have recently unlocked from the MetroPCS provider and have taken it to the Straight Talk Network, I updated my APN settings, but I keep getting a red telephone icon with the message of error:Er05 Invalid SIM and it goes on to say Important Notice Your SIM card needs to be updated for Wi-Fi calling service compatibility. Please visit a Metro PCS store or call MetroPCS Customer Care. In any case I would call straight talk but I have no service where I live and usually talk through wifi : ( Suggestions?

The calling over WiFi feature needs a E911 location for you emergency location if you dial 911. Metro sets. An address you tell them upon activation of your sim, if you turn it off in settings/call it will not display or know where to locate you if you dial 911, i'D call straight talk support and see if they are able to update you emergency address, if not turn off WiFi calling and you should not get an yellow or red alert when activating your WiFi. Although this can hinder help finding you in case you need assistance . I have been told the `my metro' app can fix this but I can not confirm this since bloatware is no where in my phones setup,

Upvote 0
I'm not with MetroPCS anymore, I'm with Straight talk, I did a factory reset and now can't sync back to my gmail account and lost all my apps! It fixed the problem for mere minutes! I called straight talk to trouble shoot it but they said they can't trouble shoot with the phone if I'm on it and I don't have working phones surrounding me! Ugh. I just want to use wifi calling!

Upvote 0
I'm not with MetroPCS anymore, I'm with Straight talk, I did a factory reset and now can't sync back to my gmail account and lost all my apps! It fixed the problem for mere minutes! I called straight talk to trouble shoot it but they said they can't trouble shoot with the phone if I'm on it and I don't have working phones surrounding me! Ugh. I just want to use wifi calling!

I doubt you can use a tmobile only app with a mnvo that probably doesn't support it.

Upvote 0
The calling over WiFi feature needs a E911 location for you emergency location if you dial 911. Metro sets. An address you tell them upon activation of your sim, if you turn it off in settings/call it will not display or know where to locate you if you dial 911, i'D call straight talk support and see if they are able to update you emergency address, if not turn off WiFi calling and you should not get an yellow or red alert when activating your WiFi. Although this can hinder help finding you in case you need assistance . I have been told the `my metro' app can fix this but I can not confirm this since bloatware is no where in my phones setup,

The my metro app can fix this, but their system is more often then not lately, malfunctioning. But for him, it sounds like the phone is giving him crap due to it having been a Metro phone.

How long have you had the phone on the Straight Talk service before this started happenng?

Upvote 0
It's not related to E911.

The problem you are encountering is that you have Wi-Fi calling turned on. Wi-Fi calling currently works for Metro and T-Mobile service and SIM. Your Straight Talk service and SIM don't support it, but the phone still tries (it's a Metro phone, after all). Turn Wi-Fi calling off, and leave it off. You can't use it. It's a TMO network exclusive for now (I read somewhere Sprint is working on deploying this as well).

Upvote 0
Or you can use google as your voip.
There is a way to setup grooveip I think it is to work with google talk

excellent suggestion, just waiting for them to send my a new sim card and I will get right on that. I don't understand why they didn't just tell me straight talk doesn't offer wifi calling? Hubby tried to tell me but I guess I just needed to hear it elsewhere.

Reactions: Prepaidguy9081
Upvote 0
excellent suggestion, just waiting for them to send my a new sim card and I will get right on that. I don't understand why they didn't just tell me straight talk doesn't offer wifi calling? Hubby tried to tell me but I guess I just needed to hear it elsewhere.

They usually only bring stuff like that up if it's a service they offer. If you mentioned it and they didn't say anything, maybe they just figured you would buy another phone if you thought it was a cell problem.

Also, I use the Magic Jack app for wifi calling. It doesn't use your cell number if that's what you were looking for, but it allows free calls from your cell on Wi-Fi. So far the clarity has been great on my LG F6 , and it works like a charm on my Galaxy S (1) I have for the last 8 months. I log in through Magic Jack and use that as my home phone since its not hooked up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones