i keep getting marketing notifications, how do i stop them?General

1. james_uk

james_uk Well-Known Member

Hi, I’m not too sure if it’s an app I have installed or not but I keep getting marketing notifications a lot (most nights)

It shows in the notification bar as a red star, it will be things like, win an ipad or win a phone etc.. if I tap it, it wants to just take me to a webpage to enter a draw, not sure how to get rid of it though as there no way I can find where its coming from and no options to stop as the notification just leads me to a website to enter a competition.

Has anyone else had this or know what it might be?

Thanks

James

Advertisement
  2. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Well-Known Member

You're getting push notifications from an app you installed. Pretty much the only way to stop them is to find out which app is sending them and uninstall it. I hate those apps that do that.
  3. saltz

saltz Well-Known Member

You can get Airpush detector for free from the app store. It will let you scan and remove the offending apps. :D
  4. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Only works if you're rooted.
  5. saltz

saltz Well-Known Member

I have not tried it on the Note, but it works on the Galaxy S2 & S3 without root. I am not sure why the Note would be that different. I will test when I get home. I apologize if I gave false information. :eek:
  6. james_uk

there is an app called ad block plus which apparently is good, says it works with wifi (which mine is wifi only).

may give that a try although i dont think it tells you the name of the offending app, i will also try the other apps mentioned if i can

thanks for the replies.
  7. james_uk

i tried ad block plus and i still got the ad, i also just installed airpush detector, it scanned my tablet and said it found nothing.

im a bit lost as to what app is causing it, i don't really want to uninstall loads either to test.

will just live with it until i maybe find it by chance :(
  8. fam

fam Well-Known Member

background\wallpaper apps are notorious for it.

Cool thing is...when jelly bean update comes..you can turn off the notifications of that app in the settings..so if its an app you like thats always blasting you with notifications...you can get the best of both worlds.
  9. Rottdoggie

Rottdoggie New Member

I installed tripadvisor app thursday and I started getting the push ads. I do have airpush detector and it says it can't find anything.

Just uninstalled tripadvisor to see if it got rid of it.

I use to use Airpush detector on my Droid and Droid2 Global when I started getting the notifications and it worked great and got rid of them. I just got a Motorola RazrM and installed it for protection...we'll see...

T