• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I keep losing my Recovery image

myko14

Nov 12, 2009
CoMo
Preface: I have been flashing ROMs for 6 months or so but I will admit that I don't have a clue past what I find in this forum.

I rooted using EasyRoot. I use ROM Manager extinsively to change ROMs and occasionally use SPRecovery. I will often try to flash a ROM that will seem to load fine but then on reboot I end up with the Motorola 'M' that never advances. If I pull the battery and hold x then power up it will not go back to my recovery image. Eventually I have to go back to a computer that will recognize my device on RSD Lite and load the SPRecovery, flash the vanilla ROM to restart the system then I can download ROM Manager from the market and start over.RSD on my computer (Vista 64 bit) at home won't recognize my Droid and I have to go back to work to get my phone started again.

Any ideas on why I have this problem and how I can avoid it?

i rooted my droid with RSD Lite first off...i was having a problem with my backups from ROM Manager also...I started doing all of my backups from recovery/nandroid and since then haven't had any issues going from Backup to Backup...after a Backup i just rename them so i dont get confused...ex UD100-Chevys1.0ulow-Stable...hope that helps

Reactions: myko14
Upvote 0
I suggest only reverting to backups if something isn't working properly when you flash something new. If your wanting to test different ROMs, then I highly suggest you wipe and flash a fresh ROM.

You may be having problems because you are jumping from one nandroid backup to another.

Kratos

I usually only recover with a backup when I use a ROM for a while and don't have a current TiBu. I don't ever really bounce b/t backups.

How do I go about clearing all of the junk when I format the system/data/cache? I would like to wipe everything to get my Droid back to the state it was in after I rooted.
If I revert back to an unrooted state and reroot in a different way, will it accomplish wiping all of the junk that has accumulated from loading countless ROMs?

Upvote 0
As far as I know, when you flash an .sbf file with rsd lite, it comletely wipes everything on your internal memory, reformats the internal memory, and then copies the stock files to the internal memory. So, yes it would revert your phone back to the state it would be in if you were to go to Verizon and purchase a brand new one.

That being said, I would suggest using this guide and performing all the steps (there is one that states that you may get an error, but do it anyways because that is the step that is supposed to force your recovery to never change): http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...oid-without-rsd-lite-up-including-frg22d.html.

There may be other ways to fix this without having to flash an .sbf, but I am not sure what that would entail and it may be more of a pain than it's worth.

Kratos

Reactions: myko14
Upvote 0
I have had that issue w/ recovery mode that the OP has stated. I have found that the clockwork recovery was the issue. It sucks that you were in a bootloop, but when you get this you need to flash a new clockwork recovery through ROM manager.

I have had some luck going back to the older version of CWM that I was using w/o all the problems. I am going to clean up my SD, save it to computer, then format it. From there I plan to use RSD to flash FRG22. I will then attempt to get UD1.0 to load then restore using TiBU after I replace all my SD files.
I'll let you know if it goes well. If not, you will definitely see some more posts!

Upvote 0
So I inadvertently went a little farther than I planned. I used RSD to flash the old VZW ESE81 .sbf and lost root. I then used Soup or Root to reroot. I was then able to load UD1.0. This had never worked as both UD0.8 and UD1.0 had gotten me stuck in a boot loop and a battery pull would result in the problem with not being able to get back to the recovery image.

I am still contemplating format of the SD as I was planning to partition and move my apps but I don't have so many that it is necessary but I wonder Does it make my phone run faster and leaner?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones