• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I know it's off topic but cant find answers anywhere. Tablet rom development

luigic81

Android Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2010
Portland, OR
So my situation, I was fortunate to earn a free ipad wifi/3g 16gb from a sales contest at work, well Ive played with the thing for a few weeks and I have to say apple blows. Anyways gunna sell it on ebay, looking like I can get about $450 for it.
I then want to take the money and buy an android tablet, i really want a honeycomb one, but I know they are very expensive as they are just coming out.
So I thought to myself why couldn't I just buy a tablet that comes with Froyo, and then root it, and flash a custom honeycomb rom once a developer ports it over to my device..? It would save me alot of cash/waiting

So a few questions about that

1. I didnt see much on XDA for tablet rom development, does anyone know if and where one can find custom roms for tablets? I'm waiting to pull the trigger until I know that I can find a custom honeycomb rom. Dont get me wrong if it comes down to it a froyo tablet is still 1 million times better than a freaking ipad, but I would like to have honeycomb

Sorry I know it's not the right forum, but I have posted on tablet forums and none knows anything about where to find roms etc.. and I know there is alot of resourceful people in this forum who probly have tablets too :)
Thanks!!!

awesome thanks! So let me ask you this, becuase this will also have a big bearing on which tab I get.
I would assume that the developers would have to port over honeycomb for each device right? Kinda like how an incredible rom wont work on a EVO. With so many tabs out there by so many manufacturers I'm sure they will not all get supported.... So in your opinion would I have to go with something popular like a galaxy tab in I wanted to get honeycomb on there? Opposed to say something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xq3x3BcHnE
which has basically the same internals as the Xoom but costs $399..? But it's running froyo

I guess the simplier question from someone like me who doesnt really know much, is .. could someone use a galaxy tab port of honeycomb on something like that A10 from elocity, or is each rom have to be device specific?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
man if you are going to get a tablet, might i suggest the motorolla xoom. i played with the thing today at best buy. and man it is sweet!!!!!! honeycomb goodness with dual core processor! i have no doubt that someone over at xda will get this beast rooted. at $799 though that is a lot of change that i will have to save up for.

here is the forum over on xda:Xoom Android Development - xda-developers

Upvote 0
yea I dont want to spend more than what I can get for the ipad which looks to be $450, thats exactly why I was asking about getting a froyo tab and then rooting it and flashing a custom honeycomb rom when they come out.... not sure if thats a realistic way to look at it though. A non honeycomb tablet running CM7 still would be nice, but I want me some honeycomb! lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones