• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I know several people who are going to jump to ATT

JimmyHat

Dec 17, 2009
If VZW doesn't announce a specific launch date for the VZW Nexus One, I know of at least 10 people that are going give up and go with the Iphone.

I am also a candidate to leave VZW. ATT coverage is great in my area. We all want to support the Android alternative. However, this "coming soon" non-sense is for the birds.

Come on VZW stop this first quarter junk and give us loyal customers a reason to stay.

hmmmm, you are impatient.

I went into verizon October 2008 asking for an android phone. you know what they said to me? "what the hell is that?" then I told them "it will be what saves you from the iphone, it will be your savior. you do know you company built a multi-million dollar open source facility just for testing android right?" they said "nahhhhhh, they never tell us anything"

My point is, you sometimes have to wait for what you want, I got my droid one year later. they dont know an exact day, and they will get it as soon as they can. The Iphone in my opinion is inferior. I used to want an Iphone, but android has shown me the light.

Upvote 0
If VZW doesn't announce a specific launch date for the VZW Nexus One, I know of at least 10 people that are going give up and go with the Iphone.

I am also a candidate to leave VZW. ATT coverage is great in my area. We all want to support the Android alternative. However, this "coming soon" non-sense is for the birds.

Come on VZW stop this first quarter junk and give us loyal customers a reason to stay.

Spring is more specific than Verizon usually is for upcoming releases. If you want more specific, don't hold your breath. Look at it this way: You would be pretty dumb to leave now for an iPhone 3gs when the next model is due around June. If you end up waiting for that, the Verizon Nexus One will hit before you can make good on your threat. Do yourself a favor, quit complaining and be patient like the rest of us.

Upvote 0
Spring is more specific than Verizon usually is for upcoming releases. If you want more specific, don't hold your breath. Look at it this way: You would be pretty dumb to leave now for an iPhone 3gs when the next model is due around June. If you end up waiting for that, the Verizon Nexus One will hit before you can make good on your threat. Do yourself a favor, quit complaining and be patient like the rest of us.

that is infallible logic my friend

Upvote 0
Been with VZW for years and years.

Cool. No disrespect to you intended, JimmyHat.

After a long time with one outfit it's easier to get a handle on their marketing habits, along with tech support, etc.

What these carriers are dealing with now, for the past several years, is fast moving technology; not just device shrinkage and tower building, etc. I don't exactly feel sorry for them, but I do get the feeling that these folks are doing their best to stay afloat in huge competition battles, as well as satisfy the most picky, flighty, sensitive entities on Earth: customers. :D

Just look at the thread about rooting (poor Acid Bath); imagine that on an industry-wide level with tens of thousands of us contacting HTC, Verizon and others about the update issue.

I'm trying to play nice with them and just wait, once in a while expressing my anticipation in forums.

Upvote 0
I think VZW needs to experience a little churn to get their act together.

Perhaps, but I've been actively participating in various forums since last July in my search for a new phone. If I only had a dime for every time someone suggested this and followed through. Don't expect to get a following large enough to make even a tiny dent in a customer base of 80 million. The vast, vast, VAST majority of these customers aren't representative of the folks like you and I on these boards. They don't care. Us? We all reside about 3 spots to the right of the decimal point on a percentage basis. Whatever your choice, best of luck to you.

Upvote 0
I think VZW needs to experience a little churn to get their act together.

What "act together"? They released 2 good Android phones (the 2nd and 3rd best Android phones) 3.5 months ago. They have another coming in the middle of next month and the Nexus One following either at the end of that month or some time until the end of May (aka the end of Spring). Spring is what the Nexus One page says it will be available for Verizon. That along with the fact the HTC Incredible is also incoming.
Jeez why does everyone think Verizon has to release a top flight Android phone every month to be doing a good job?
so yea, take yourself and your 10 friend who can't read the "Spring" on the n1 order page and go to ATT so you wont occupy space in front of me if I ever need tech support.

Upvote 0
VZW definitely had some MAJOR catching up to do in the smartphone department as of a few months ago ... but there's no doubt they've come a long way in the last three months. Let's just hope they keep the momentum up.

And as for segmentation vs. standardization, well ... I'm afraid the choice might end up being between having complexity caused by too much variation (like we have now), and uniformity that might be too rigid (like the iPhone has). Having the uniformity would definitely help the market share, but personally I'd prefer the free-wheeling variation.

Upvote 0
the last time i went into verizon, no joke 1 week ago about the sync issue with my eris, i simply asked so when will the eris get 2.0 his reply was, whats 2.0 is that an upgraded android phone, without punching him in the face i simply responded with its a software upgrade. once leaving another question, so when is the nexus one comming? "we dont sponser apple phones sir" at this point i feel as if i must take his name badge and place it from the top of his lip to the bottom and close it so he doesnt ill speak android in that sense ever again. i never responded just left.

Lets you know how bright their reps are. check the internet it will know before those chumps do.

Upvote 0
There was an article in the paper yesterday about a local high-end audio/video retail chain that's closing it's doors after almost 60 years. It was a pretty good write-up and highlighted how their bread and butter used to be a knowledgable sales staff that was very good with educating the customer on their choices. This justified (rightfully so) the premium compared to a department store where the sales people knew very little. However, with the advent of the internet, all the forums, and customers reviews, expert help is just a click away and costs nothing, not to mention one can turn around and get bargain pricing online. Alas, the chain still went in the crapper despite lowering its prices to be competitive with online retailers. The moral of the story here is that you can get far more educated information by spending some time on the internet. Whether it be Verizon, Best Buy, Sears, etc, the big stores are just employing stiffs anymore. Very rarely do you find someone that's properly knowledgable about technology. I've come across some real duds, some who totally mislead consumers (likely unknowingly due to lack of knowledge), and some that simply appear to be armed with way too much knowledge without the ability to apply it properly (these are the worst in my opinion). Sometimes I educate the sales people. Sometimes I just keep my mouth shut and nod, basically blowing them off. The worst was when I bought my LCD TV over a year ago and the arrogant kid working at Circuit City was REALLY pushing me that I needed to buy their $100 3ft HDMI cable that was specifically rated for 120Hz (complete farce). I had to tell him to stop harassing me about it.

Upvote 0
Yep, that's it. Phone store employees are inherently clueless ... but then again, most retail sales employees are nowadays.

It's particularly galling in the cell phone market, because you can almost always get better deals on phones by avoiding the stores and shopping online. So knowledgeable shoppers will visit the retail stores to choose their phone, but then go home and actually buy it online. Doesn't seem like an efficient system from anyone's perspective, but that's the way it is.

Upvote 0
knowledgeable shoppers will visit the retail stores to choose their phone, but then go home and actually buy it online. Doesn't seem like an efficient system from anyone's perspective, but that's the way it is.

I'm wondering if it's that way by design; the carrier gets their customer on contract and the manufacturer gets their sale of the device, all with less and less overhead (less and less high quality employee hiring).

Upvote 0
Might be. I assume VZW retail employees are on commission? Verizon probably knows they need a place where people can play with their phones, but if they drive people to actually make their purchase online there's no sales commission to be paid.

The commission thing is a good question; they may not be, thus their ineptitude about the devices.

Commission has its positives and negatives, the positive being the sales rep wants to make money so s/he'll hopefully lead you to what you want to make the sale.

The negative being that "pressure" that some customers can't stand and, with some, may even drive them to buy elsewhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones