I know this isn't the dedicated Wildfire section but...

Last Updated:

1. Lmkt

Lmkt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

...this part of the forum is much more active and I feel I can receive a lot of feedback. Plus, the Desire and Wildfire are quite similar and maybe some of you have tested it.

I own an HTC Desire and am quite happy with it. However my girlfriend wants to buy her own smartphone (since right now all she has is an old-ass Nokia). Although she wants it to be small so I did my research and all I came up with is the Wildfire.
    However I've read that the screen resolution is much lower than on the Desire. Is that a real problem? I mean, does it really hinder the pleasure and ease of use that you get out of a smartphone?
    Is the Wildifre a good choice overall, especially for someone who doesn't really need a hugely powerful device?

Thanks guys :)

Advertisement
  2. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

Go to a shop and try it out :)

3. tricksy_rabbit

tricksy_rabbit Active Member

The motorola Charm is also an itty bitty little android phone. I have never tried either the charm or the wildfire, just seen them in stores. For me, they would be too small, but if she mainly wants to make calls and text, they're probably fine. However, if she doesn't have a smartphone she might be underestimating how much she would use other features, if she had them. Anyway, your best bet is probably what the other poster suggested, go to a store and paw them if at all possible.

4. w0mbat

w0mbat Member

I've got a Desire and I have just bought my daughter a wildfire. I think it's a really nice phone and more importantly my daughter loves it.

No problems with the screen size as the overall size of the phone is more important to her. So, you cant fit so many widgets on it and it looks grainier than the Desire but overall it is really like a pocket size Desire :)

The processor speed difference is noticeable to me but it doesn't bother her and really just gives a slight lag on things that are instant on my desire.

It sounds like it could be the ideal compromise for your girlfriend.

5. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Just bare in mind the smaller screen isn't just a question of preference. You WILL have a more limited choice of apps available as many just don't work at that low resolution.
    I don't know if this situation is improving but given that screens are improving I doubt it.

The current version of Angry Birds is unplayable on the Wildfire imo :eek:

But outside of that it's a small phone, will play music, text, use the internet and Facebook etc etc :)

6. BarnumC

BarnumC Well-Known Member

one other thing, I, like W0mbat have the desire for me, and my daughter the Wildfire, yes the screen is grainier, but on video/photo, it doesn'nt matter that much, however the text is a royal pain, so go check out a working version, and also check out the San Francisco from Orange,

7. mncollyer

mncollyer Well-Known Member

Another option would be the San Francisco from Orange

8. mncollyer

mncollyer Well-Known Member

Beat me to it.

9. tnfelipe

tnfelipe Member

Maybe the HTC Gratia that is about to be realeased?
    It's even smaller than the Wildfire, but the screen is also 3.2'' and has a higher resolution.

10. Lmkt

Lmkt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Like what, for example?

@all : thanks for the feedback.

Do you think she can play Tetris on the Wildfire? The official EA one? It's her favorite game :D

edit: it doesn't seem like the HTC Gratia and the San Francisco are available for Orange France...

11. darthlinux

darthlinux Well-Known Member

The SE X10 mini is smart little android phone, although its only on 2.1 at the moment but for a first smart phone its great, my gf has one and loves it.

12. Ten10

Ten10 Well-Known Member

I would say not to touch the SE x10 mini with a barge pole. Although it is very small and cute, in terms of function and features it's more trouble than its worth.