I love my evo but will switch to the epic in a heartbeat

Last Updated:

1. TunaNoCrust

TunaNoCrust Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my perfectly flawless evo since launch. I've had ZERO problems, with insane battery life as well. I rooted it the first day and loaded DC 3.0, and modded it insanely to my liking. I called it a godsend.

News of the epic 4g was announced and I was like "meh", the evo will still reign supreme, because of the community behind it and the sheer amount of devs.

Yesterday, I got to play around with an epic, and it makes my evo not so supreme.

First off, SAMOLED 16.7million colors > TFT 65,000 colors

Epic Camera > Evo Camera, Quality over quantity here. Evo has a great camera and I love it but the Epic camera is way more of a P&S as to the evo being a nice camera on a cell phone.

Epic HD Recording > Evo HD Recording. The epic's hd camcorder is truely amazing for a cell phone. All evo owners are dissappointed with their HD recording capabilities because for such a high-end phone, the HD recording is CRAP. Some blame codecs, some blame GPU. I blame HTC.

As for the GPU, what more can I say? Processing power of 90 million triangles/sec vs 22 million triangles/sec. It can handle ANYTHING thrown at it. No lag and jawdropping.

The evo has .3 more real estate but again this is quality over quantity. A 65,000 color TFT has its limitations. The banding can get nasty depending on what your watching or what you use as a wallpaper.

So I say this, no community or no amount of godlike devs can transform the 65,000 color screen or increase the GPU power to be even close to the hummingbird GPU. The hd recording is just icing on the cake.

Oh and the thing is half the weight of my evo and the keyboard is extremely comfortable. And unlike a few other Galaxy S Pros, we get a flash.

Advertisement
  2. Zdidge

Zdidge Well-Known Member

Where did you get to play with one of these?

3. miamithrice

miamithrice Active Member

Like a wise man once said, "you can't patch hardware".

4. icemanjs4

icemanjs4 Well-Known Member

I'll second that - where were you able to find one to play with?

Or to quote the greats:
    "Pics or it didn't happen"

5. mattism78

mattism78 Well-Known Member

X2?

I'm curious if in your tinkering, did you notice an significant lag when switching to keyboard? My biggest concern is that I'm going to be dealing with lag when texting. I've been through pretty much every next gen Android device and now am waiting for the Epic. I REALLY hope it lives up to my expectations.

6. mattism78

I was reading elsewhere that Sprint is using their Advocate Program with this phone so it is possible that certain Sprint stores have started to receive their models.

7. TunaNoCrust

I was at a BBQ last night and my friend who just flew in from vegas came by and he had one. I might go play tennis with him later today and I'll try to take pics of it.

8. TunaNoCrust

No I didnt notice any lag. I did tell myself that with a little getting used to, my typing speed on the epic will be second to none.

The thing that really awed me was the weight. How can this powerful little thing be so much lighter than my evo? Battery life is my main concern. As long as its not shit, I could care less.

mattism78 likes this.
  9. icemanjs4

That'd be awesome. BTW, I had two questions about the phone:
    1: The camera shutter button - does it launch the camera from the home screen, and is it a two stage for focusing and taking pics?
    2: Does it feel too thick?

Is your friend a rep for Sprint? Otherwise how'd he get a hold of one?

Thanks

10. mattism78

I hate to be skeptical, BUT I have to ask. Without giving away anything that could possibly get anyone in trouble who is your friend in relation to Sprint? This is a device that (from what I've researched ) hasn't been seen outside of possibly 3 VERY brief reviews and the Samsung event.

11. JUSTQUAN2

JUSTQUAN2 Well-Known Member

yea, sneak us a few pics if you can. but remember to hide all back round and anything that can get your friend in trouble. some wont believe this but i had my hands on the droid x 2 months ago. guy i get my phones from had it. wouldnt let me snap pics of course. so there are some epics out there but im sure its a very low number and they know who have it.

12. rasstar

rasstar Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but pics or it didn't happen. I am leaning towards it didn't happen.

13. wodin6

wodin6 Well-Known Member

I bet his friend has a vibrant or captivate lol

14. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

I want pics :)

15. rasstar

16. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Thats why I asked for pics cause I have no idea if its true or not ;)

17. icemanjs4

Agreed. Rather be a bit trusting and give him a shot. If he's right, it will be exciting news. If not, oh well - nothing gained nothing lost.

18. rasstar

There has not been a single video or picture of anyone having this phone outside of the samsung event but some random guy on a forum happens to know someone that has one. I don't understand what anyone gets out of somethign like that up.

19. Nightfury82

Nightfury82 Active Member

Yep. I call BS. 3+ days later and no follow up. Anyone who read specs could make up the info the OP posted.

20. Samsungandroid

Samsungandroid New Member

I am one of those who are going to ditch their evo because of SAMSUNG EPIC. Epic isi really Epic.

21. Elite GunnerX

Elite GunnerX Active Member

your not the only one....and people who are dumping there evos love that phone!