I love starting over again

Last Updated:

1. GregTard

GregTard Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I decided that I had no reason to not upgrade to the OTA 2.2 since I was running Tranquility with a modified Revolution theme. I could do everything I was currently doing with the OTA and the newer radio. I have been having issues with my DX dropping my calls in the the same places I always did with AT&T on my drive home. I hope the radio is better because coverage was one reason I came back to Verizon.

I also like being able to keep track of what I am doing now as well. I kind of went nuts when I got my DX and installed a lot of crap and would like to do it better this time. Hopefully this will help someone else go through the process if they choose to. I see a lot of "New DX, what should I do first" posts, but don't see "What should I not do?".

- I used the SBF to get back to 2.1 (A lot easier when I found out that the reason the RSDLite "Start" button was disabled. I had to shorten the filename and put it directly on C:\ - at least doing those 2 things made it work. It failed the first time, but the second was fine.

- After SBF, phone would not boot until I wiped data and cache.

- Updated to OTA

- Rooted using the Droid2 method (only took 10 minutes - a lot faster than the first time which took me 2 hours)

- Installed my new 32GB card and documented what was there from the system

- Installed ROM Manager, flashed the recovery, & backed up ROM which added the "clockworkmod" directory and an update.zip on the SD card root

- Now install your favorite apps, ROM, and/or theme.

So, on to what I will not do this time.

- This time I will not backup apps through the market. It sucks when you reset or install a new ROM. Use Titanium Backup or similar.

- Don't install every app that looks interesting or amusing and be prepared to delete the data after you uninstall an app you don't want again. I know what apps I like and need this time so hopefully I will not have 20 directories on my SD with nothing in them and random files on the card root.

- Take backups before and after every major (and some minor) changes (and name them something you will understand). You can always back the backups up to your computer. (I have a script that runs automatically when I connect my phone.Plus I have room for more music and movies now.

What are some things you would do different if you could start over - on your phone - not your life?

Advertisement