I/M instead of SMS?????General

Last Updated:

1. barr151

barr151 Member This Topic's Starter

I am looking for an app to use for i/m instead of using the sms app. I am wanting to avoid the easy recovery of every text I send/receive. I know that given enough time that anything can be recovered, but I am only concerned with text. So, I hope that i/m will avoid this problem.

Am I on the right track? If so, what works well? What will allow an icon on the main screen so I know when I have a message?

Advertisement
  2. barr151

I forgot, 2.1 and no root.

3. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

Instant/messaging? Do you mean IM? lol okay, enough of that.

If your problem is with the texts being stored on verizons servers, i dont think youll find an im app that doesnt store it online somewhere. Verizon cant look at your communications without a warrant, and why would they want to?

But aside from that, TextPlus is sort of an IM service. Look into it, you can even send messages to sms numbers, and no its not stored on VERIZONS servers.

4. barr151

I am not worried about warrants, just wanting to avoid the Verizon servers since my work can pull them (text) at anytime. It's complicated. I'll look at TextPlus. Thanks.

5. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Are you paying for the line? If so, its illegal for them to go into your text messages. That's private information, and no one can see that information, other than you and technically Verizon. Otherwise, if your job is paying for the line, I can see where your a little troubled.

6. barr151

Yep, it's a work line.

7. VonKannick

VonKannick Well-Known Member

IMO the easy solution is to not use that phone for anything that may compromise your position within your company.

8. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

+1

The fact that the OP knows his texts may be monitored at his workplace tells us it's an agreement between employer and employee, perhaps as a condition of employment there.

If it is not an agreement, then the OP is going by rumor or fear, something to sort out.

9. barr151

It's an agreement since text are counted and data is unlimited on our plan. It's not a problem with work, its more of a third party concern that they have. Anyways, the problem is not why I need to get around this, but of how to.

10. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

make all your friends use irc
    download andIrc
    text them and tell them to go on irc

11. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

I'm also looking for an IM app that my wifey could d/l with her BB. I just switched to a Droid and we used to bbm, now we can't and she wants to know if there's something else we can use? I've searched and I found skype but does anyone know of another IM we could both use? I know it's a strange question. Thank you in advance

12. hannahxx

hannahxx Active Member

Have you tried "pingchat" (in the market) ?
    I just downloaded it, seems to be like a cross-platform bbm.

13. Demache

I've heard of Textplus, which as far as I'm aware, uses data to send text messages. Not sure how well it works though.

14. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

did we lose a few days of posts here? I absolutely SWEAR I posted in this thread the other day.

TextPlus works, but its odd.

If you text someone (and have it properly set up and registered) it will show your name, but the number will be 6011 or something like that. So unless they know to text a separate contact # for you, it will be a nightmare. To text someone on textplus you have to text 6061<username> or something crazy like that, or hopefully they'll already have a convo with you open.

15. Demache

Yeah, the website crashed and they apparently restored it to how it was 24 or so hours ago. It also wiped my follow up post.

You could try getting a Google Voice number. Then people will send text messages or call you through Google Voice. If you have unlimited minutes, this is probably your best option.

One drawback is that you can't receive MMS messages.

16. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of using GV myself for the same purpose.

Can't believe how much of a racket txting is, especially with verizon. tmobile gives you family texting for 20, and it shouldn't really cost anything at all if you've got a data plan.

17. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

try PingChat
    its BBM style IM