• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I made a "super charger" for my phone and its working great

ciper

Android Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2011
I hesitated to post this until I ran enough tests but I found an inexpensive source for a fast high quality charger in the from of the original PSP wall charger. It's spec'd at 5v 2amp, versus the .7amp of the original unit.

Not only did I check voltages and the like but also battery temperature and voltage using a HIDDEN option that exists on the phone. I am using the Extended Controls application to replace all the shortcuts and widgets on the main screen of the phone and it has the option to create shortcuts to hidden items. One of those under the "Settings" heading is called "Testing" and it gives you access to many informative items

I monitored the battery voltage, temperature and time to charge using the original and this modified charger. The time to charge was reduced drastically even while using 4g and full brightness screen. The battery voltage went up in a similar fashion between both chargers. The temperature seemed to be tied more to the activities on the phone rather than which charger was used.

I highly recommend a PSP charger with attached microusb cord. I disassembled one for fun and it is much higher quality than most other five volt wall warts. To help rid your fear, the usb spec says the device is supposed to determine the amount of power to be drawn so you could attach a 10amp supply to it and the phone would decide to use as much as it liked. Its the output voltage that is important. Some of the other random "name brand" 5 volt supplies had voltages as high as 6.2 volts!

Regarding that special test menu it shows the following.
Phone information : Shows all the network information including signal levels, lte or 1x, ip address, etc

Battery information : Shows many things including Battery scale (level), battery voltage (mine is showing 3920mv), and battery temperature

Battery usage : This shows a percentage for each item that used the battery with information from multiple sensors (much nicer than the normal screen)

Usage Statistics : Shows how many times and how long you've used each app

Wifi Information : This has three sub menus one of witch is Wifi status which shows the ssid, signal level, encryption type, channel, ip address and all sorts of useful stuff

The Extended Controls application is great because it allows you to comfortably put six application shortcuts on a line normally mean for four. I usually put five wide and it really decluttered the main screen of my phone. It also has a smaller footprint than many of the other apps.

I ran my phone down to the point that it shut down on its own. I waited a bit and rebooted to check the reported battery and it was at 1/100 (many apps can read this parameter).

With 4g enabled and connected I was able to fully charge the phone in 3:20. It probably could have been faster but I was receiving texts at the time so the screen kept lighting up.

I monitered battery temperatures while charging and they WENT DOWN from the previous higher temperature after running the phone with all the other crap enabled and running (wifi, gps, 4g, bluetooth, brightscreen and benchmarks)

Reactions: tiede
Upvote 0
Good work ciper! :D On the charger, as well as finding that other app (I think I will go look for that now :))!

Interested in hearing how fast you can charge the phone with this charger while 4G mode is disabled.

Me too! :)

Being the extremely cautious type, I suppose I will wait a while (a couple weeks?) for extended testing and reporting back before I try this myself...

Upvote 0
You wanna know something even weirder, and aligned with trs-80's thought?
I have an old and cr*ppy usb/universal phone power supply box I got a long time ago for dirt cheap, and I swear it charges my indulge faster than metro's charger. The weirdest part though, it's only rated at 500mA, which should be lower than metro's .7A charger... What gives?

Upvote 0
Interesting. So that charger seems to cut one hour off of the typical charging times we're used to with 4G enabled and disabled on the regular charger. If I were on the go most of the day, it'd probably be worth obtaining a charger like this. But for people who can't plug in all the time, even with this charger, the real solution will only be an extended life battery

Upvote 0
Interesting. So that charger seems to cut one hour off of the typical charging times we're used to with 4G enabled and disabled on the regular charger. If I were on the go most of the day, it'd probably be worth obtaining a charger like this. But for people who can't plug in all the time, even with this charger, the real solution will only be an extended life battery

I should start carrying around a huge battery in a backpack with a cable that runs down to the phone to charge while on the go.

Dunno how I would put the phone in my pocket though while its charging since the plug is on the side of the phone.

Upvote 0
belt clip? lmao anyways ive ordered myself a portable solar device charger like this one

frontpage.jpg

only $7.95 at BLUE - Innovatek Stay-On Solar Charger

anyways waiting for it i ordered it yesterday and i was suppose to do a review on it on the howardforums. hopes this helps.

Upvote 0
I ordered one of those that was like 4X8.
Did it charge? yes

Would it charge up the indulge battery? dont think it would be able to charge the entire battery over a full day out in the sun.

probably would get better charge from one of those hand cranked USB chargers. even so, an AC outlet takes how many hours? you would probably be cranking it for twice as many hours.

Upvote 0
I am going to try a full charge with LTE disabled right now. I let the phone run until it shut itself down then disabled LTE and connected the charger. I started at 8:25 with the phone showing 2% with the charger connected after rebooting (the percentage goes up when the charger gets plugged in).

The crazy thing is that this phone is VERY tolerant of voltage changes. I've seen it able to function normally with a battery voltage of only 3.3, and if the built in monitoring is correct it functions up to 4.8 volts!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones