I miss my Treo [local]

Last Updated:

1. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Since Froyo, I have this weird issue with my Corporate account disappearing. Each time I have to recreate it. I'm obviously missing data until I recreate the account. I don't want to play with a factory reset at this moment.

This reminds me of my dear beloved Treo, that kept all its data local. It sync'd using a cable. The accounts never disappeared.

Is there an app that will sync Exchange/Outlook with a cable only (NOT THE *$#@ing CLOUD)? I'm using K-9 for mail, so I just need calendar and contacts.

Hint: it's a lot more secure this way too.

Advertisement
  2. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member

I'll spare you the hyperbole. As you can see, I was a palm user for a few years. I broke the device/cable/pc/sync habit.

Come to the dark side. Life is easier.

Good luck!
    Dan

3. GideonX

GideonX Guest

Try Touchdown yet? You can try it before you buy it.

Awesome Exchange app.

4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

he said he wants to use cable... bwaa haa ha haa... yeah, a cable :)

come on man, get with the program. The days of cables are DEAD

I was a 12+ year user of Palm. III, IV, X, Treo, Centro, blah blah blah.. never would I go back. The "cloud" IS the shizzz. In your case, I am sure the answer exists, and using a cable is not it.

5. muab

muab Well-Known Member

I LOVED my Treo, and I can understand wanting to keep data local rather than be reliant on some mystery data someplace (that actually kind of reminds me of iTunes really) but as others have suggested, there are other solutions.

6. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

Treo user also, thought I'd never like anything better, This phone is great and no way could a treo work better, good luck

7. Lock-N-Load

1. Google does not care about your data. no one wants your contacts, calendar entries, emails, Google docs. people need to get over this trip that they think their data is so valuable Google is going to want to snoop on it and take it.. bwa ha haa ha

2. there really is no safer or better place for your data than in the cloud. Your computer dies, your phone is lost, good luck. Either of those happen, you can still get your data back from the cloud and access it instantly and with no special proprietary desktop app like the lame Palm Desktop is/was. As well, you can access the cloud and all of your data from any place in the world on any type of computer. All of it is backed up by the second for you. Fail to hook up your phone to a cable and do a backup for a day or week or month - which most people do despite the best intentions - and your SOL. Need to load onto a new phone.. it is done in seconds.

3. it is not "some mystery data someplace".. it is on a server off site from you. just like this website, just like the Market you use on your phone, just like all of the sites you visit on the web. It is totally reliable. backed up, and not some magic or mystery. and it is YOUR data.

cable and desktop is so archaic and flawed it is laughable and in fact, puts you at more risk for data loss.

8. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the replies. Thanks specifically to the folks who attempted to be helpful.

When someone posts a question or request, the idea is not to come out of the closet, laughing out loud and pointing. I'm a big boy, I can take it. But this does not exactly give these groups a great reputation.

If you think your data is safer and more private in the cloud, you deserve what you get.

Now I have to get back to playing my guitar through my tube amps. You might as well have a go at that too :)

9. Lock-N-Load

coming from the guy who (1) is automatically getting valuable data FREELY backed right this moment but poo poos it and (2) wants to use a cable in 2010.... have fun with that :D

anyway.. maybe you are a candidate for Missing Sync

and with that, you'll get the opportunity to spend an extra $40 - $90 and get to use a cable if you like :p

10. stearic

stearic Well-Known Member

Since you seem to be anti-cloud, tell us why you have to / need to use a cable vs doing it the way everyone else has suggested? Yea, some people laughed, others gave advice from being previous treo users. I think it might not just be them that has the problem but you also.

As for the comment about the tube amps, we should make fun of you just for saying something like that. Nothing wrong with tube amps, used them myself. Only thing wrong with it is that you are trying to sound like some lil hipster who's bucking the status quo. Got news for you, your about as much a rebel/hipster as a nerd in highschool.