I Music App legal?

Last Updated:

1. Kitesurfer

Kitesurfer Well-Known Member

Hi, I was wondering if the I Music App is legal. Seems way to much like limewire, but I've heard it is legal and it isn't? Is it?

Advertisement
  2. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

IF you own the songs on CD, you may download them on Imusic..same as any of the P2P services..
  3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Technically yes, the app itself is legal. Downloading the music that it directs you to though, is not.
  4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

If the servers that iMusic is getting their music from is outside of the United States, than it is very difficult to apply US Copyright laws. Of course, just like LimeWire, if you get caught downloading music that you never paid for, there could be ramifications.
  5. ccousinsjr

ccousinsjr Well-Known Member

It isn't legal but you probably wont get caught or punished, I would think.

And, I was just wondering, do you like surfing?
  6. Kitesurfer

Kitesurfer Well-Known Member

Ya, just a bit
  7. esocid

esocid Well-Known Member

It kind of reminds me of allofmp3, which was in that very grey area. It's legal in the hosted country. What you do with it in your country may or may not be. So just use your judgement.
  8. reggie16

reggie16 Well-Known Member

how easy would it be to get caught?
  9. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

who cares , enjoy it. while its there
  10. esocid

esocid Well-Known Member

It is copyright infringement to share the file. Unless you are re-hosting the file, you're fine. So, the worst that could happen is that the app is pulled, and the RIAA complains.
  11. Negativism

Negativism Active Member

Very easy. In fact I just overheard in a meeting down the hall that '' they '' are coming to your place of residence in a few days because you even dared to think about using this device.
  12. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that "they" are not out to get me. :eek:
  13. reggie16

reggie16 Well-Known Member

is there an app that scans the files to make sure theres no viruses?
  14. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

There are many, though you need to install them on your windows machine.
  15. benavides66

benavides66 New Member

so i was wondering if i purchase imusic tao is it then legal to get music from it
  16. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Assuming it's actually an .mp3 (or other type of media) file, it won't be able to harm anything because it just holds data, it doesn't actually execute any code. Make sure you enable the option in your file browser to view the file extension and check that it's not one of those sneaky "song.mp3.exe" things.

That's just to save your Windows box though. Android OS is Linux-based. You don't have much to worry about for your Droid. :)
  17. shadowdude777

That's like asking if it's legal to make copies of movies because you purchased a DVD burner.
  18. benavides66

benavides66 New Member

Well not really cuz if I pay for it and I'm paying for this whole market you'd think it should be legal with all the money I am spending
  19. malcom2073

malcom2073 Well-Known Member

just because you bought a stolen tv (eg you paid for it ) doesnt mean you get to keep it. and if you knew it was stolen you can get in trouble too. (hint: you cant say you did not know the music was stolen)
  20. toker11

toker11 Well-Known Member

ive had this app on my phone and cant seem to get it to work. well some of them work and some dont.
  21. tbflx

tbflx Active Member

Because you're not downloading the music from the app, you're downloading it from random people and sources around the world. All this app does is search google for MP3 files.
  22. shadowdude777

iMusic does not have anything to do with the artists that produce music. If you buy iMusic, that doesn't entitle you to the songs in it... well, legally. Stop trying to justify what you're doing and call it what it is. It is in no way AT ALL legal.
  23. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

Downloading copyright music is not illegal it uploading it that is the crime.
  24. shadowdude777

Not really. The RIAA will take any excuse to sue anyone. And make sure they get at least 100x the amount of money worth of music you downloaded out of you. :rolleyes:
  25. CHEVYRICH

CHEVYRICH New Member

is there any apps out there now that where like music box