I need a new DInc!Support

Last Updated:

1. URNotEntitled

URNotEntitled Member This Topic's Starter

::GULP:: Not sure how or when, but the screen got shattered and the whole phone is currently useless. I have my daily alarm sounding repeatedly at the moment because I can't turn it off. Today is starting off in a bad, bad way.

I didn't buy insurance so I'll be paying full price to replace it. Are there any stores that actually have these in stock at this time? I fear that if I'm forced to live too long without it I'll realize that my life can indeed go on without a $529 smartphone and I'll just ride out the rest of my new 2 yr contract on one of the old LG Chocolates I still have laying around.

Any suggestions for getting a replacement ASAP?

Advertisement
  2. Diabl0

Diabl0 Well-Known Member

According to Verizon's website the Incredible ship by date is 8/3. That's not too far off...

3. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

If you have no insurance, fix it yourself. Replacement digitizers are only $75.

Also, I'm sure pulling the battery will stop the alarm. ;)

4. bisbers

bisbers Well-Known Member

I am amazed that someone could not be sure how or when, but their screen 'got shattered' and is useless.

Ebay. First buy a replacement, then sell the broken one for scap, might get a few bucks if its just the screen that's broken.

5. sabrewings

Be cautious. You could end up with a phone that has been blacklisted because it was lost or stolen.

6. bisbers

bisbers Well-Known Member

True - check the ESN before you buy.

OR... Since the rest of your phone seems to work, intentionally buy one with a blacklisted ESN (presumably cheaper), then head down to the lab to create frankenphone.

7. x0x

x0x Well-Known Member

Fix it yourself (parts are available). Suggest getting a new digitizer and new front bezel (don't absolutely need the new front bezel, but if you don't get it you'll have to pry your old broken digitizer off of your existing front bezel which most likely leave it looking like ish).

Or call HTC and see how much they will charge you to repair it directly.

Either route will be infinitely cheaper.

8. Diabl0

Diabl0 Well-Known Member

The HTC option is less than $120 if I remember correctly. :)

9. URNotEntitled

URNotEntitled Member This Topic's Starter

It did, yes. :)

To be more accurate, the display isn't really shattered but cracked to the point that the phone is entirely inoperable.

At first I suspected one of my kids did something to it, but then I learned that my wife grabbed it to play some games last night and dropped it on the tile floor. She said it landed funny but she looked at it and it seemed fine.

Obviously she didn't try to turn it on.

I went the Ebay route, but for a digitizer and not the whole phone. I probably could have shopped around for a full phone to salvage for parts, but was anxious to get this working again and the $75 price seemed reasonable.

Thanks everyone for the help. I hope this repair goes well!

10. sabrewings

There's a thread somewhere around here that has pictures. Also, there is a disassembly video on youtube. Just search.

11. heffe2001

heffe2001 Well-Known Member

You know this is a divorcable offense in some states? :p

Hopefully your repair will go ok tho...