I need help figuring this all out.

Last Updated:

1. hydeburns

hydeburns New Member This Topic's Starter

After near a year, I've grown tired of my droid and decided to root it to breathe some new life into it.

I know there is information for everything involved all over the internet including this site. But hear me out. For reasons I won't go into, my brain isn't entirely wired in a normal fashion and reading from one site to another and one post to another trying to piece together information from here and there really just gives me a head ache. I need to be able to read the information in one spot for my brain to fully comprehend it. Not to say I'm mentally challenged or that I have a loose grasp on technical things. I don't. I won't brick my phone. I'm fully capable of doing this.

That said.

Where do I begin rooting? I'm on moto droid. 2.2 frg01b. The manual update.
    What exactly is a rom and how do I go about flashing one.
    What is a kernal? What is the difference between a kernel and a rom?
    I'm looking for something with more features and maybe a little speed boost.
    How do i go about saving all my phones info and apps before I root? Do I need recovery software? or do I need to redownload all my apps and re-enter all my contacts?
    How do I do a factory restore if needed? is it difficult?

Thank you for your help.

Advertisement
  2. bemenaker

bemenaker Well-Known Member

Have you read this:

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/136508-guide-all-things-root-related.html

A rom is the software package that runs your phone. To root your phone basically in a nutshell here are the things you are going to do:

1) install a modified version of the recovery loader, you use rsdlite to push a modified version of sprecovery to your phone.
    2) copy a rooted rom to your phone's sdcard, it will be named update.zip (only name sprecovery recognizes) you will install it.
    3) you will now have a base rom just like what you run now, but with root (full access)
    4) install Rom Manager (downloads roms, has a backup utility, and a rom flashing utility in it).
    5) download roms and install them

The plus the using Clockwork Mod (Rom Manager's flasher) is that you don't have to name everything to update.zip to flash it (load it). Nandroid, the backup utility will let you save yourself from screwups with ease. You boot into recovery (hold down x and turn on) and load from backup.

When you load a new rom, you sign into google, all of your apps will automatically reinstall. You have to setup account logins for facebook etc again. Titanium backup can backup and restore your application data to make that part go smoother.

Hope that overview simplifies it enough to move you forward.

3. hydeburns

hydeburns New Member This Topic's Starter

Most directions I am seeing are for rooting on a moto droid with 2.1. Will the same process still work even though I'm on 2.2?

Also, since initially posting, I have updated to FRG22D. Not sure whether that makes a difference or not but I thought I'd share.

4. kidon

kidon Well-Known Member