I need help finding a phone

Last Updated:

1. FraggerCrue

FraggerCrue Member This Topic's Starter

My current phone is a Behold, KRZR before that, and a Kyocera SOHO before that. I really like the Behold, it is by far the best phone I have used to date. But it is time for a change. I'm looking for a touchscreen phone with WiFi and Android and I don't want a data plan.
    Requirements:
    1) Touchscreen (no slider)
    2) Android, preferably 2.2 or confirmed update in pipeline (or ability to root & update)
    3) No Data Plan (I'm not willing to pay $30/month for something I won't often use)
    4) WiFi
    5) Fast processor, 800mhz or faster
    6) Camera w/flash

Possibilities:
    1) Because I don't want data, I don't need 3g, so I could run an AT&T phone.
    2) I am willing to root a phone, as long as the process is reasonably well explained in a how-to.
    3) I am not looking for a new contract and am willing to pay outright for the phone.
    4) If there is a phone that will work, I am willing to consider a phone not sold in the US, if I can get it on eBay or elsewhere. Remember, no data, no 3g, so that might open a few doors.

Thanks for any input.
    fragger

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

FYI, this is where I stopped reading.

3. RichieHD

RichieHD Well-Known Member

Without a data plan, Android isn't being used to it's fullest potential. You could try buying an original MyTouch and rooting/rom'ing it. Don't know about it's processor/camera though.

4. FraggerCrue

Then educate me.

I work in a secure facility, no cell phones allowed. I have minimal use for the internet while driving to and from work. That means, from 6:30 in the morning when I leave for work to 6:30 in the evening when I get home from work, I have no use for a data plan. At home, I have WiFi.

The only time I would have use of the data plan is when I'm out and about. Ironically, when I'm out and about, I'm usually with my g/f and she has a Droid, so, once again, I don't need a data plan.

5. FraggerCrue

I understand that and I appreciate your response. I'll take a look again at the MyTouch, but I think has a slower processor.

The question remains, what Android phones can be used without a data plan? Optionally, what phones can be hacked to run Android without a data plan? For instance, I've read that some Windows Mobile phones have been converted to Android.

6. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

I thought all major carriers were forcing data on smart phones, could be wrong? I think most of the VZW android phones can be activated on page plus, if pre pay is an option for you and VZW coverage is fine for your area. Only thing I can think of right now.

7. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member

Only WinMo phone I know of to have converted to Android is HD2, and I know a data plan is required. I think you will have a very hard time finding a phone that will fit your parameters listed. Only newer phones have 800 mhz processors, and ( I believe) they all require data plans. If you find one, please post. This would be nice to find.