• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I Need Help Getting Contacts from Broken Android

My Huawei Mercury M886 fell out of my lap when getting out of the car and it got run over...

Its not rooted. The screen is completely shattered off and I cant use the touchscreen or buttons so I cant get passed the lock screen.

I was able to get about half my contacts from my back up in April on the wireless server from Cricket, and I dont use the Gmail back up and purposely did it that way. I plugged my phone into the computer but I cant access the phone at all since I have to choose the USB/Computer option from the phone itself.

Anyone know of how I can get to them? They are not on the SD card either. I need a way to access the phone without using the touchscreen. Is there a way to sync the Android phone to PC without using the touchscreen?

I dont have my phone password protected. It seems as though that the Android can do everything except retrieve information without using the touch screen...this is a HUGE problem...very impracticable for bad situations.

My Huawei Mercury M886 fell out of my lap when getting out of the car and it got run over...

Its not rooted. The screen is completely shattered off and I cant use the touchscreen or buttons so I cant get passed the lock screen.

I was able to get about half my contacts from my back up in April on the wireless server from Cricket, and I dont use the Gmail back up and purposely did it that way. I plugged my phone into the computer but I cant access the phone at all since I have to choose the USB/Computer option from the phone itself.

Anyone know of how I can get to them? They are not on the SD card either. I need a way to access the phone without using the touchscreen.

Not sure it will work, but with my Samsung S3 and the Keis pc software you just plug the phone into the usb and sync, the phone needs no physical input. (no tapping required as it's already assuming an MTP connection.

Upvote 0
Not sure it will work, but with my Samsung S3 and the Keis pc software you just plug the phone into the usb and sync, the phone needs no physical input. (no tapping required as it's already assuming an MTP connection.

I don't think that will work because he can't get past the lock screen if the device is password protected.

Upvote 0
Im trying to find that software but nothing is coming up.

any links?

It's specifically for Samsung phones, maybe your manufacturer has their own software?

I don't think that will work because he can't get past the lock screen if the device is password protected.

This is true, I overlooked that, the Keis software knows when the lock screen is on and the software tells you to unlock it first, but I always have my screen active when I connect, hence why I'd forgotten.

Upvote 0
Kies will not work for his phone. MyPhoneExplorer I think could work, but not sure since screen is broken.

If you synced your contacts to Google, they will all be in your Google account, you can check by going to Google contacts on a computer.

Edit: I see you werent using Google. Missed that. And you havent been keeping backups of your own. Well, not much luck there.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
If the contacts haven't been backed up to SD in any way then they are in /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db. The problem is that quite apart from the broken screen you'll need root access to just copy that (and I can't guarantee it would be compatible with a different phone model). If there was a contacts backup app that could run without interaction there might be a chance, but I can't think of one myself.

Upvote 0
If the contacts haven't been backed up to SD in any way then they are in /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db. The problem is that quite apart from the broken screen you'll need root access to just copy that (and I can't guarantee it would be compatible with a different phone model). If there was a contacts backup app that could run without interaction there might be a chance, but I can't think of one myself.

This begs a question for me: Is there a way to force Android to store it's "Contacts" db on the external SD card instead of within the "System"?

If so, and assuming that the external SD were recoverable, would the DB be readable by anything else besides Android (i.e. some sort of PC application)?

I've tried exporting them to .VCF, but it seems to lose my Group assignments - which are quite important to me.

Upvote 0
I imagine that an android emulator could read the db, not sure whether anything else could. The bigger worry with stuff like this is that manufacturers modify android, so I'm not certain it would transport between phones (as e.g. the message database does not).

I don't know of any way to make the phone keep it on external storage. The GMail backup option is safest, as it's automatic and separate from the device, but I understand why not everyone wants that.

There are a number of apps capable of backing up contacts to sd, not sure how they perform with groups (barely use groups myself). The OP's problem is that you'll need to do more than just launch the app in order to use one, and with no screen that's going to be tricky.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones