• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I need help, wanting to root don't know where to start

hackyzac

Aug 8, 2010
OK i'm tired of my slow laggy hero, I'm in desperate need to root but with all the threads and roms and files i got a little overwhelmed.

Can anyone give me a correct link with step by step instructions with what i need to do, there seem to bee hundreds out there and i'm not sure which one i need to use.

I'm using 2.1 on my hero with build number 2.32.651.2

thanks

Start with Z4Root

OK i'm tired of my slow laggy hero, I'm in desperate need to root but with all the threads and roms and files i got a little overwhelmed.

Can anyone give me a correct link with step by step instructions with what i need to do, there seem to bee hundreds out there and i'm not sure which one i need to use.

I'm using 2.1 on my hero with build number 2.32.651.2

thanks

Upvote 0
I'm no expert on this but I would get rid of the apps you don't use download rom manager from the market and then flash the recovery image and then reboot into recovery (turn phone off hold down volume down button and then press the power button and hold till phone gets to the white htc screen then release buttons then it will come to 3 options just hit the home button and then it will hop back to the white screen and you will be in recovery mode) ok first things first do a nandroid (that's a total back up of everything on your phone apps and settings) so if something goes wrong you can always have that to fall back on (think of out as a windows restore point) aster you do your nand reboot the phone then look got the rom you want if you want sense back I would use liquid sense 2.1 that's pretty much a stock rom with no bloatware from sprint,
now aosp 9.9.2 (i think that's the version) is a vanilla (absolute base android os) rom very minimalist very fast and can be over clocked (btw its already oc'ed to 710mhz), cm6 is a good rom to very customizable and still pretty snappy imho, then there is the new 2.3 gingerbread roms currently I'm using the cm7 (cm7 is cyanogenmod 7 I forgot to mention that earlier with cm6) and I really like it so far, actually I think its faster than the 2.2 roms but that's just my opinion.

sorry I don't have any of the rom links but if you have to hard of a time I or someone else is sure to help out with that. Also when you decide what rom you want to try and need help flashing it and I'm on I will be more than happy to help and I'm also sure anyone else here will help

now if I left anything out please correct me I'm just trying to help someone out like I had help on this forum from the wonderful mods and members. This site is just fracking amazing.

Reactions: hackyzac
Upvote 0
Once you are rooted as mentioned, now download Rom Manager from the market, then install, then open RM and you will be asked for SU permission, say yes, then once open hit the top where it says flash a recovery image, once success, then your first step would be to make sure you create a Nandroid backup, now IMO I would not create one from the RM app, I would shut my phone off and then boot into recovery from there, phone off, then hold the volume down and the end key at the same time for 2 seconds, then once prompted hit the home key to boot into recovery, once into recovery, create a Nandroid backup, once done, then reboot your phone, now search and choose what RoM you want of your liking on the forum and then boot back into recovery and flash it from your SD card and your good to go, there are many threads of others we have helped here in the forums, I would read a few of them to be familiar with what I am explaining, this will help you in your process

So with that can I install a different rom?

what about overclocking?

Sorry if the questions are newbish, I'm just tired of having a boring phone and i really would like to have something better.

Reactions: hackyzac
Upvote 0
ok so where i stand now, I was able to do the nandroid backup last night but when i went to download roms on the RM it kept telling me there was an error...but i see your telling me to just download the rom just from the site..so i guess that's simpler...

Thanks for the help so far guys, i'll get the rom installed and report back if i have any problems

Upvote 0
Correct to flash a RoM download from a site either directly to your phone, or download from your PC and transfer to your phones SD card which ever is the fastest for you

ok so where i stand now, I was able to do the nandroid backup last night but when i went to download roms on the RM it kept telling me there was an error...but i see your telling me to just download the rom just from the site..so i guess that's simpler...

Thanks for the help so far guys, i'll get the rom installed and report back if i have any problems

Upvote 0
Gapps are you Google apps which are not included in the RoM, and there are other Google apps if you need that can be downloaded from your phone from the market if you need or want them

thanks again man, i'll probably dl aosp when i get back from class

what is the whole thing with the gapps in the link?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones