• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I need help with partitioning. Kind of.

And me please. I spent days trying to do it. Finally got ClockworkMod installed (I think though there's no icon) got ROM manager to partition the SD card (I think) and used LinktoSD to try to move things. 1st thing in my apps that had 'Move to SD Card' lit as opposed to greyed out was Google Play Books so I pressed Move to SD and was so pleased with myself until I got this - Red Triangle and Failure. pkg:/data/app/com.google.android.apps.books-1apk Falure
INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_INSTALL_LOCATION
However I then tried 'Google Play Services' and that did move. Then' Google Play Store' and that will not move. Now I am totally confused. Please help a very old man move into the 21st century but in very simple English please. Thanks.

PS just tried to move Maps and it Failed but I found this - Second Partition not found. So how come Google play services found it ?????

Upvote 0
I partitioned my 8GB SD card with CWM successfully. But how do I transfer apps to the second partition (1GB)? Or, how do I merge internal storage with the second partition of my SD card? Any help would be appreciated.

Rooted Samsung Galaxy Ace 2.3.7 running CM7.

You need to install a script to make the phone recognize the partition as internal memory. Google for CronMod scripts or link2sd or s2e.

And me please. I spent days trying to do it. Finally got ClockworkMod installed (I think though there's no icon) got ROM manager to partition the SD card (I think) and used LinktoSD to try to move things. 1st thing in my apps that had 'Move to SD Card' lit as opposed to greyed out was Google Play Books so I pressed Move to SD and was so pleased with myself until I got this - Red Triangle and Failure. pkg:/data/app/com.google.android.apps.books-1apk Falure
INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_INSTALL_LOCATION
However I then tried 'Google Play Services' and that did move. Then' Google Play Store' and that will not move. Now I am totally confused. Please help a very old man move into the 21st century but in very simple English please. Thanks.

PS just tried to move Maps and it Failed but I found this - Second Partition not found. So how come Google play services found it ?????

Its really hard to understand what you are trying to do, you install clockworkmod but you have no idea what it is, same for rom manager, you install link2sd but you have no idea how to work it, you should stop trying to destroy your phone and start reading for a few days.

Clockworkmod(CWM) is a custom recovery, its not an application whose icon will show up. Its a tool through which you can install new upgrades, modifications and roms. In S5830 it is accessed by pressing home + power button when turning on the phone.
Rom Manager is also a tool that is used for flashing mods and roms, but its an application, its a much more easy to use than CWM, unfortunately its not compatible with ACE, if you use that on your phone you can literally fry the motherboard.
Link2sd is an application to manage apps over the sd-ext partition, it flashes a script on the phone which enables you to use the partition as internal memory, then you can use the application to manage your apps, it has limitations. I find its interface and settings quite a mess, its better to use pure scripts link cronmod scripts or amarullz scripts, just flash them and forget about memory, they will manage everything themselves.

Take my advice and start reading, you are very close to a mishap.

Upvote 0
Hello I just joined androidforums! As a new member I guess I can't post links so I'll try to explain my problem the best I can.

Okay, so instead of starting a new post, I think my problem can go here. So finally after a year of debating I rooted and partitioned my phone. I am VERY new to all of this so please use plain English when responding. I have read different forums for hours on end and can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830. I used - How to Root and Un-Root Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 (Tutorial) - to root my phone
and downloaded Root.zip

I downloaded Link2SD

Then to partition my phone I used a YouTube video - how to increase internal memory on a rooted samsung galaxy ace by sd partition
and downloaded recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.6-galaxyace-fix.zip

Okay so now I have been using Link2SD to move applications to my SD card, but I still have no internal memory. Out of 181MB I only have 17.60MB free. I really don't know what else to do. I have tried clearing my cache and I downloaded Root Browser Lite to try and access /data/log and delete all files (information from the forum: ace-all-things-root/434788-i-will-go-crazy-galaxy-ace-internal-memory )

I've read some information about MiniTool Partition Wizard but I don't know what ROMS or flashing is - would it be better to download MiniTool rather than Recovery Clockwork?

Someone pleaaaase explain to me how to increase my internal memory, if it's possible, and what applications or process I need to follow. I am sooo confused! :thinking:

Thank you!!!

Upvote 0
You missed one big step. you are running stock samsung firmware which has samsung's stock kernel, and this kernel does not support init.d(that's where your link2sd script goes in order to use the partition as internal memory), so basically your system does not know that it has to use that partition as internal memory.
You have the app to control apps and a partition to use, but no script is installed yet.
You need to flash a new kernel which supports stock roms and init.d, then you can use link2sd.

P.S Minitool partition wizard does the same thing clockworkmod recovery does, only difference is that CWM can do very limited operations while minitool can do a wide variety of operations.

Try this-> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1477996#

If you want an easier option then go for custom roms, they are easy to install, will give you better performance, better features and brilliant looks, moreover they all has init.d enabled kernels so it reduces your work a lot. Just install link2sd and your on.
You can also go for the cronmod scripts, just flash the script and forget about memory problems, don't need any app to control it, best available method.

Reactions: egestrella
Upvote 0
You missed one big step. you are running stock samsung firmware which has samsung's stock kernel, and this kernel does not support init.d(that's where your link2sd script goes in order to use the partition as internal memory), so basically your system does not know that it has to use that partition as internal memory.
You have the app to control apps and a partition to use, but no script is installed yet.
You need to flash a new kernel which supports stock roms and init.d, then you can use link2sd.

P.S Minitool partition wizard does the same thing clockworkmod recovery does, only difference is that CWM can do very limited operations while minitool can do a wide variety of operations.

Try this-> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1477996#

If you want an easier option then go for custom roms, they are easy to install, will give you better performance, better features and brilliant looks, moreover they all has init.d enabled kernels so it reduces your work a lot. Just install link2sd and your on.
You can also go for the cronmod scripts, just flash the script and forget about memory problems, don't need any app to control it, best available method.

Okay, so the problem is I need to "flash a new kernel"...

I have a couple of questions,:
- Would it be better to download Minitool and delete Clockwork?
- In the link you attached, what does "S2E" and "CyanogenMod" mean? Sorry I have NO idea what all this jargon means. Can I follow the instructions in the link with my Samsung Galaxy Ace?

- The directions say:
"Next; For S2E
Go to CM settings and check 'Application moving'
Install S2E
Check the'Applications' box
Check the 'Dalvic Cache' box
Reboot your phone"

When it says go to CM is it referring to Clockwork? I opened the application on my phone and I can find nothing that says settings or application moving. My options are:
a) Recovery: ClockWorkMod - Reboot into ClockWorkMod recovery
b) Backups - Backup/ Restore/ Delete
c) APKs - Install APK
d) Updates - Flash update
e) Kernels - Flash kernel

How can I "flash a new kernel which supports stock roms and init.d"? Do I click on option e) in ClockWork?

You say "custom roms" are an easier option, or "cronmod scripts" - I already have Link2SD so how can I install the roms?

Sorry I tried looking up your advice/vocab in different forums, but this goes way beyond my technological knowledge.

Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you!!!

Upvote 0
Okay, so the problem is I need to "flash a new kernel"...

I have a couple of questions,:
- Would it be better to download Minitool and delete Clockwork?
- In the link you attached, what does "S2E" and "CyanogenMod" mean? Sorry I have NO idea what all this jargon means. Can I follow the instructions in the link with my Samsung Galaxy Ace?

- The directions say:
"Next; For S2E
Go to CM settings and check 'Application moving'
Install S2E
Check the'Applications' box
Check the 'Dalvic Cache' box
Reboot your phone"

When it says go to CM is it referring to Clockwork? I opened the application on my phone and I can find nothing that says settings or application moving. My options are:
a) Recovery: ClockWorkMod - Reboot into ClockWorkMod recovery
b) Backups - Backup/ Restore/ Delete
c) APKs - Install APK
d) Updates - Flash update
e) Kernels - Flash kernel

How can I "flash a new kernel which supports stock roms and init.d"? Do I click on option e) in ClockWork?

You say "custom roms" are an easier option, or "cronmod scripts" - I already have Link2SD so how can I install the roms?

Sorry I tried looking up your advice/vocab in different forums, but this goes way beyond my technological knowledge.

Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you!!!

Oh, thats for s2e, sorry i gave you the wrong link, this is what you need->
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1476121

You should read a bit more, get to know the jargons and the terminologies, google it up, everything is easily available.
Cyanogenmod(CM) is an aftermarket android software, just like samsung makes roms for it phone(the one you are using right now), CM makes it for everyone, those roms are much much better than what samsung gives us. Even i am using a CM based hybrid custom rom, its just too good. Superfast, amazing features and a true android experience.
S2E is like link2sd, but its for CM roms only, and its a much more simpler app.

You didn't understand my previous post, minitool is for the computer, clockworkmod(CWM) is for the phone, making partitions is only one of the things it does, its most important job is to flash roms/mods/patches etc on the phone, you need it, its a must for every root user, you may or may not use it for partitions coz of its limitations but you will need it for other things.
Minitool partition wizard is optional, its your choice, CWM cannot make ext4 partitions, minitool can, so if you want ext4 partition, you will need minitool for that, otherwise CWM is sufficient.
As i said, you need to read before you leap. :D

Reactions: egestrella
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones