:( I need help!

Last Updated:

1. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

Your almost there, the apply sd card option is what you want, but you first have to get the .zip file to the sdcard. The go back to recovery and apply the .zip and your back on track.

3. K-Rizzle

Whew, ok, I'm trying that now. Is there a special place on the SD card that I have to put it?

4. dntesinfrno

Yes, depending on the recovery you've installed. If its 3.1.1 it goes in /sdcard/sdx/zip otherwise it just goes on /sdcard - this being the root of the sdcard, not in any folders. In recovery mode at the the top it will show what version you are running. The only 3 i know of are joey's 2.1.4 and forcytos 3.*something* and 3.1.1

K-Rizzle likes this.
  5. K-Rizzle

I don't know what I installed, it was a rar file I DL'd from the video. Would the SDX folder already be there if I had that recovery that you're talking about?

ETA: It just says Android System Recovery Utility
    It also says "can't open cache/recovery/command"

And when I try to select install from SD card it won't. It says "installation aborted"

6. dntesinfrno

Thats joey's reocvery, the .zip needs to go on the root of the sdcard.

K-Rizzle likes this.
  7. dntesinfrno

Just like in the video where he puts SDXcustomkernel.zip on the sdcard and installs from recovery. Do it just like that but with you own update.zip.

K-Rizzle likes this.
  8. K-Rizzle

*sigh* It won't let me. It just keeps saying installation aborted.

Can I just hit the wipe data/factory reset and start over?

BTW: Thanks for being so helpful. :)

9. dntesinfrno

Whats it and what wont it let you do?

K-Rizzle likes this.
  10. K-Rizzle

I booted into recovery mode and the slections show up.

But under the blue text it says in yellow:

recovery start...
    E:can't open/cache/recovery/command

If I try to scroll down and select apply SD card: update zip [Send]

It immediately says

--Install from sdcard...
    Installation aborted.

11. dntesinfrno

Sounds like problem with the recovery. Go here ....SDX Recovery 3.1.1.... and download the recovery 3.1.1.tar and flash it using the sprint tool just like in the video. Move the file out of /program files/samsung electronics/swupdate/model/binary and put it somewhere safe and put the 3.1.1.tar file there and run the updater. This will install the new recovery. That should fix your problem.

K-Rizzle likes this.
  12. K-Rizzle

I thought it must be a problem with the recovery so I just tried reinstalling it the one from the video, maybe something got disrupted in the process?

I didn't know about the other one, I'll see if this works first. You're being so helpful, I'd be flipping out right now if no-one was here to help, lol.

13. K-Rizzle

OMG seems to be working now!!! It says installing.

It makes me a bit nervous because when it rebooted from the software update, the phone said my voicemail services weren't available because I had no data available. Never seen that notification before, so now I'm nervous again!

14. dntesinfrno

Its entirely possible. Even if you do everything correctly there is always a chance for a bad flash. I personally never used joey's recovery but 3.1.1 is fantastic. If re-flashing what you have doesn't work i would definitely install 3.1.1.

Working as a computer repair tech i deal with this stuff daily, and im good at what i do ;).

K-Rizzle likes this.
  15. K-Rizzle

ok, I must have done something wrong, because I didn't choose this boot logo/start up screen. I wanted the regular samsung one.

Ok, it's definitely wrong. I removed certain apps like IM and it's still there.

I read that you can't install ROM's over each other so how do I get this one off of my phone? I'm going to try that other recovery you mentioned.

16. dntesinfrno

This has happened to me every time i've flash back to the stock DE03, now worries the data services just didnt connect before the phone wanted to use it.

K-Rizzle likes this.
  17. dntesinfrno

You just reinstalled the stock DE03 with joey's recovery. You havent applied the update.zip you downloaded, correct? When you do thats when those changes will take effect.

K-Rizzle likes this.
  18. K-Rizzle

I thought I did, I went into recovery (which looked different from before, even had a little android guy on it) and installed from SD card, it installed the files and I rebooted the phone. I think I messed up when I was making the ROM, I have to try and redo it, save it, move it to my SD card and try again. My data is working ok, getting texts and such.

Should I still switch to the other recovery? Otherwise all I need to do is redo the recovery start up and reinstall from the SD card? Or do I need to get this ROM off my phone first?

19. dntesinfrno

Installing the new recovery is completely up to you, having not used that one i don't know the differences or which may be better than the other. No, there is no need to remove anything just redownload the update.zip, drop it on the sdcard and install it from recovery.

K-Rizzle likes this.
  20. K-Rizzle

Ok, even though it'll be a different ROM, I'm making a new one right now, just about to DL it to my computer.

21. dntesinfrno

When using the kitchen only you dont need to anything to apply a new update.zip, keep in mind however unless there is an option to specifically restore the stock of something you changed/removed it will not add it back.

If you install a more advanced ROM (such as the Dream roms and such) you will have to flash the stock DE03 back as these roms are incompatible with other roms.

K-Rizzle likes this.
  22. K-Rizzle

I don't think I messed with much, I kept everything stock except removing apps and stuff. I didn't even change the theme because none of them really called to me. lol. It's just the boot logo and the apps that got messed up I guess.

23. dntesinfrno

I prefer to make my own roms so i can customize them to my liking. When i start over i usually flash several .zip files from the kitchen as they add new things and such. Don't worry too much about experimenting, if you screw up you can always go back to stock and try again. Let me know how it goes :D.

K-Rizzle likes this.
  24. K-Rizzle

You are amazing! I THINK I'm done after this install from SD. I have NO idea how to add anything by itself though, like themes or whatnot. All I knew was to add the zip file from SDX of the ROM that I made. I wouldn't even know how to begin to add themes from somewhere other than the kitchen.

25. K-Rizzle

And now I'm having problems again with the darn "installation aborted" sign.