I need rooting Dinc 2.2 for dummies...

Last Updated:

1. magtimmag

magtimmag Member This Topic's Starter

HI
    I'm a newbie, and, though I am really good at following instructions, I have no clue how to root my Incredible. All I want to do is turn the damn S to whatever, so I can tether my ipad for a bit. I don't want to remove anything, change anything, change a rom (I think), or the like. I just want to be able to tether for a couple weeks, while on vacation.
    Since unrEVOked 3 is down, I can access the beta. But, I need a site/thread that gives me really easy instructions on what to press and what not to press.
    So, since this is the only forum I trust, point me in the right direction, or give me a clue on the root for your parents version.
    Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. magtimmag

Oh... I am on a Mac, it that makes a difference. And.... I have enough ability to have updated my wife's eris from 1.5 to 2.1 with help from here...

3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

have you tried the beta yet, from what I understand it already is for "dummies". On a mac you should just have to plug your phone in, run the program and you're done. I know the root method for 2.1 was pretty damn simple and the new one I hear is even simpler.

As for what to press and what not to press (someone correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't used the beta, only the original unrevoked3), there is only one button to press.

magtimmag likes this.
  4. magtimmag

Thanks, sdrawkcab25. Having heard from an I.T. friend, too, I am going to install the beta when I get home. Since both of you say it's disgustingly simple, with no hidden handshakes, etc, I'm going for it.
    Appreciate the reply...

5. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

A few hints with instructions that were a little unclear for me. Make sure you uninstall HTC Sync from whatever computer you download the beta to. When you attach the phone by USB, the Charge Only option is just fine. After the root with Unrevoked 3, s-off is automatic. To get to the Super User (su) menu, use the vol down / power buttons to turn on and select RECOVERY, Nandroid is under the backup section.

Not sure how MacOS works but on WinXP - Make sure you install the SDK to the C:\ and not in program files or anything else. It makes it tough to find the right DOS command to open the phone.

The rest is listed here http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/138249-those-who-need-help-disabling-removing-apps-including-2-2-here-list.html

6. Beatlesfan

Beatlesfan Well-Known Member

I used the beta on my Mac two nights ago. I plugged my inc into my mac, double clicked on the unrevoked app, waited, and it was done. That's literally it.

7. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Good tips above. One more to add:

Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > enable USB debugging