I need some help buying a car stereo to work w/my phone

Last Updated:

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Long story short, I'm thinking of getting a new car stereo for my car if I can figure out a way to justify the expense. I think if I stream audio directly to my car stereo via an Aux cable or BT that I'll get better quality than the FM transmitter I'm using now. Ideally, I want a stereo that will pipe my calls over the car's speakers and will also have a mic of some sort to pick up my voice. I'd love to be able to push a button on the stereo, say, "Call mom" and seconds later I'm being griped at for not giving her grandchildren.

My car is a 2005 Ford Focus 4dr sedan so I need something to fit that car obviously. I assume I need something with A2DP support? I want to plug my phone into my car dock, have it instantly pair with the car and go happily on my way. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on this though. I'd just like to be able to drive around the state without having to change my fm transmitter all the time to a different station.

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

A2DP is a must for audio over Bluetooth. Either way, your audio quality should be much better as FM is very prone to static and interference. Plus, having a new head unit will help a lot as well.

It you connect it via Bluetooth, it will most likely use the stereo's mic, which may be internal, or external (external is the best, since you can position it where appropriate). If you use standard AUX, it will only use the phone's mic. In my experience, with my Eris, the phone's mic is sensitive enough that it should work fine. This is granted, that you have a mount for your phone. You might just have to talk a little louder.