I Need Your Help/InputGeneral

Last Updated:

1. SBacklin

SBacklin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Some of you may have seen me posting about the crazy signal issue that I still have after the update. The signal is very weak, showing mostly 0 bars, it fluctuating, etc. This has been on two Eris devices. Well, my brother had just got a Moto Droid. He stopped by and I was able to check out the signal while he was here at my house. His Moto has its update...it shows the full signal like the rest of the VZW phones. He has the same PRL as me. So that leaves two possible causes. The obvious difference in hardware is one or it could be the difference in software from 1.5 to 2.0.1. That is where I need advice. I'm still within my 30 day window. Do you think its a hardware defect or a software defect that will be patched when 2.1 is released for the Eris? Should I keep my Eris and wait or trade? I like the Eris but risk being stuck with a phone that has a hardware defect.

Advertisement
  2. bugeyeblue

bugeyeblue Well-Known Member

I would just get it replaced. I know that's not much technical help, but for what we pay for in service charges, I don't think its worth putting up with.

3. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

Do you have trouble on calls or using the data? My phone signal fluctuates a lot too (often times with no bars), but I haven't experienced any call trouble, so I'm not going to worry about it. I'm thinking software issue just like the battery meter.

My only problem is the occasional freeze up on the lock screen.

4. SBacklin

Get the Motorola Droid instead?

5. SBacklin

I ran into a couple issues regarding actual connectivity. I been in contact with HTC...even though they are really stuck up and really don't want to admit there is still issues.....which makes you wonder...

6. JimmyHat

JimmyHat Well-Known Member

If you are indeed still in your 30 day grace period, then do not hesitate to get it replaced. That way, your new unit may come with the latest and greatest firmware out of the box. My 2.5 cents.

7. SBacklin

Well, I'm on my second Eris already and as far as I can tell HTC is not even close to admitting that there is either a hardware defect in antenna/radio or a software issue causing this.

8. bugeyeblue

bugeyeblue Well-Known Member

Maybe ask Verizon if they will let you trade for a Droid but then trade back to an Eris if its not any better.

What I meant by my original post was to just get another Eris. And keep replacing them until the problem is fixed.

I don't think id go with a Droid myself though.

9. stmartin84

stmartin84 Well-Known Member

I have thought about exchanging it as well, my only reservation is having to deal with the customization of all the settings again.

10. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

Fluctuating signal is a UI issue, which was SUPPOSED to be resolved in the OTA Update.
    Mine doesn't fluctuate anymore, that I can notice..

Even when your signal appears weak, it's not. It's just a UI bug..not hardware or network.

11. SBacklin

I appreciate the responses everybody. I keep leaning to just keeping the Eris only because I cannot stand the design of the Moto Droid. The screen doesn't always seem as zippy either. However, who knows. Feel free to keep giving me recommendations or ideas.