• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I now have 2.1, and..

I now have 2.1, and...

• Total voters
24hrs after OTA and new couch delivery...loving both.
The only glitch I had were notifications set by the OS as defaults had to be cleared. I don't need vibrate notification for everything or confirmation that a txt was sent.

I also unistalled Handscent and started using the stock messager. If you remember a while back I posted a question which app was used for quick txt...it appears the OTA has proven to me that it is the stock, even after I set Handscent as the default. The memory and battery usage pointed to the Stock message. After unistalling and running stock app...things are very clean and smooth.

Upvote 0
Totally worth the wait in my opinion, got the phone early April!

Installed the OTA about 2 hours ago and still playing with my new toy.
I did not lose anything, phone worked great before on 1.5 - now it is running amazing, no complaints from me at all.

I've been lurking since I got it, and just want to than everyone for there contributions and tips, every day I aquire something new from this board.

No lag, and no bugs noticed yet!!!

Epic amounts of win!

Upvote 0
finally got the OTA at 12:07 am this morning while I was watching SNL here in SC. I was on 1.5. It would have taken about 30 mins to download but I had to free up some phone memory before I could finish it. I had only 24mb and need to have 25. I had downloaded a couple of games yesterday that I was passing OTA wait watch with. The phone seems to be running a bit faster and smoother so far, esp. screen to screen, opening up programs etc. I haven't tried much else on it. It wiped out all my scenes even though I had made a point of saving my current one :mad: Like starting over but not as easy because many of the menus are different. Can't find many of the widgets I used like mail, photo, people. Gonna take a while to get my phone set up again...sigh. Looks like I have to dl swype again even though I just did yesterday. So my vote probably would have been ...got the OTA...eh what a pain....sure hope it's worth it.

update: seems I had to reboot in order to see many of the widgets. Read it in one of the posts. That is good at least.

Upvote 0
It's a pip, OTD.

I've been running every app I use, browsing, viewing YouTube videos, messaging and making calls; all is well, as was with 1.5 only quicker.

No bugs, no complaints.. it seems to be a true update and not a mess of eye candy or whatever.

I'm watching battery life.

I've seen none of the issues reported in the 2.1 bugs thread.

Considering who this is coming from, if thats not a glowing recommendation, I don't know what it.

Upvote 0
I got the update as I was going to bed lastnight, so I downloaded it, tried staying awake to see what it was all about, but I passed out before it got finished installing. When I woke up this morning I was like "coooool!" It's almost like having a new phone. Well, kind of. I have no idea what live wallpaper is but I'm assuming it's animations on the wallpaper?? If so, that's what I have and it adds a little "cool" factor, but nothing spectacular. So far I like the update, it definitely looks a lot better, too.

Upvote 0
I received the update overnight and installed this morning. I'm going to have to take a bit of time to use it before I answer the poll, but what I noticed so far:

- FC on Google Voice, no matter what I did. I had to uninstall and reinstall to get it working, plus the extra step of dialing a number from the phone to provision GV for voicemail. That said, it's now working fine.

- I had to manually go into sync settings to get contacts and calendars to resync down

- I was surprised how much I had customized my phone before, from which ringtones were used where for notifications, etc.

- That annoying Peep app started up at launch and started notifying me. That's not how I had set that one up...

Upvote 0
All of the new, useful features I really like. I'm at work on lunch and just got the OTA this morning, so I really haven't had a chance to investigate all the things I was looking forward to. Used Nav on the way to work. LOVE IT! It was a good time TomTom(circa 2005), but all things must end. Don't let the door hit you...

The device does seem faster and I have uninstalled my task manager and no longer seem to have a need for it, either.

Hooray! Now off to a thread about keyboards for voice-to-text...

Upvote 0
Yeah.. this is being repeated around in various threads, with few exceptions.

It's a shame, because assuming we're not talking re-furbs, those who purchased an Eris which has bugs cropping up are not getting the quality that those of us with bugless devices got.

There are several factors, though. I'm thinking about the differences in behavior I noticed following a simple reboot or battery pull, after a day or two's usage, and even just after the update.

Also, user habits and abuses, I have noticed. One of my co-workers leaves her Eris on the dash board of her car, in the sun, while she's driving. I've mentioned to her many times that doing that could be one of the reasons she's seeing poor response when using the phone or texting or whatever.

People bang these things around, carry them in their jeans pockets, put them in the sun, drain the battery down to zero on a regular basis, fill them with dozens of applications, accumulate hundreds upon hundreds of messages and emails and phone history, etc... and then we start seeing postings about wiggy behavior in their devices.

There certainly are buggy ones, but I'm thinking that we might be seeing more and more "bugs" from the aforementioned user behaviors than from bad phones from the factory as they get into the hands of the masses at large. ;)

I have to agree with you Frisco. I think most of the bugs are human error... my phone has been fine on 1.5 and 2.1v3... the only issues (which really really aren't issues) are the 50% and signal bars.

Upvote 0
I also unistalled Handscent and started using the stock messager. If you remember a while back I posted a question which app was used for quick txt...it appears the OTA has proven to me that it is the stock, even after I set Handscent as the default. The memory and battery usage pointed to the Stock message. After unistalling and running stock app...things are very clean and smooth.

Ok...after 48hrs...I have reinstalled Handcent. The stock message app refused to send MMS (image) to someone on the network. I found out 12hrs later it was because of the image size was never resized (like in Handcent). So then after tweaking the settings once agin...I found out I had to go into the stock message to disable notification(s) because I was getting alerted by both app even though I set Handcent as the default.

Calendar has been freaking out ever time I have a reminder, the screen blips blank and then force closes...I'm using the mini app by HTC.

BTW never had problems with 1.5

Where's my tea?

Upvote 0
Well, my girl finally received the update last night. I showed her some of the new features and she generally likes it. She is not a heavy user by any means, but I'm working on her (she didn't know how to use a computer when I met her). She was telling me that people on facebook were complaining about problems with the update and I explained that I wanted to do a hard reset for her. She asked about contacts and calendar events, which I obviously told her would be fine. She asked about the SD card, which I also explained would be fine. She then decided that she didn't want to reset the phone and took it out of my hands. :rolleyes: What do I know, right?

Upvote 0
Well, my girl finally received the update last night. I showed her some of the new features and she generally likes it. She is not a heavy user by any means, but I'm working on her (she didn't know how to use a computer when I met her). She was telling me that people on facebook were complaining about problems with the update and I explained that I wanted to do a hard reset for her. She asked about contacts and calendar events, which I obviously told her would be fine. She asked about the SD card, which I also explained would be fine. She then decided that she didn't want to reset the phone and took it out of my hands. :rolleyes: What do I know, right?

She sleeps, right? ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones