"I pre-ordered the Kindle Fire" thread!General

1. noirchat

noirchat Member

Edit: Pre-order page is up!
    Amazon.com: The New Kindle Family Is Here!

Post here if you're buying/bought one!

For me, I'd rather have this than all the other Android tablets 'cause the ecosystem around it will be vastly superior.

Specs:
    Amazon

Advertisement
    :
  2. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

depending on how the Dev community handles it i may be interested in this.
    DoAndroidDream? likes this.
  3. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

Great specs. I don't mind no 3G, but I really wanted it to have GPS. Would have been nice for travels, just feel my phone screen is a bit small. I'll probably go for one of the others, I'm sure there's going to be a LOT of competition!
  4. d3zapped

d3zapped Member

Two possibly dumb questions -

(1) Does "no multitouch" mean there won't be an pinch-to-zoom capability?

[ EDIT: Hmmm, despite the OP explicitly saying "no multitouch", the Kindle Fire is described as a 'Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi' on the Amazon page ]

(2) Is there a slot for microSD card expansion?

[ EDIT: looks like no slot according to the CNET comparison of the Fire vs the Nook Color here ]
  5. optionsgeek

optionsgeek Member

Quite interested in getting one for the kids - but I'm worried about the "Amazon AppStore" business. Is that how they're going to recoup the lost revenue from the fire-sale price? Will the Kindle Fire be vulnerable to the Gingerbreak exploit so we can root it if needed?
  6. motty69

motty69 New Member

I'm getting one, even if it doesn't get rooted it's a great price for what you get. Since I'm already a Amazon Prime customer this thing will be pretty sweet. Pre-ordered 10 minutes ago. Have a feeling my wife will want one for Christmas too.
  7. spunker88

spunker88 Active Member

Since this thing is going to have Amazon Instant Video, does that mean they will release an android app for it. It would essentially be the same exact program they built for the Kindle Fire. Currently you can only do Amazon Instant Video on android with flash via a browser that spoofs a desktop user agent. If they don't release an Android version, I wonder if it would be possible to pull an apk from this device unless its coded to run only on Amazon's Android fork.
  8. CharlesLewis

CharlesLewis Well-Known Member

Seriously considering it. i'm wondering if the apps from Amazon's app store will run on it. I know this is primarily a media consumption device with email added, but if it would run QuickOffice, it would allow me to do some limited word processing while away from my desk. And if it allowed printing via Printer Share, I would definitely be hooked.

Anyone heard about these apps or similar ones?
  9. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

i've also heard that the "android market" itself may not even be available out of the box. Only the Amazon App store which makes sense.

the real question here is will it be able to be rooted and if so how long before we can put CM7 on it. Then i'll buy it.
  10. rdalev

rdalev Well-Known Member

Why are these so-called tablet makers putting out products running Android 2.3 (a phone OS, I might add) ?

***********No Rooting Required******See Below**************

Here is the "REAL" First Android Tablet ! (BTW........will be running "Stock" Android 3.2 ! )

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

Save your money and wait 'til Dec.
  11. alicia4065

alicia4065 Well-Known Member

I order one along with the Kindle Touch 3G/Wifi can't wait. :)
  12. spunker88

spunker88 Active Member

Because Honeycomb isn't open source so Amazon probably wouldn't be able to create a forked version. This will all change when ICS comes out.
  13. mplsnst

mplsnst Active Member

The Fire has two-finger multitouch, as compared to the iPad's eleven-finger multitouch. Some are complaining that this will limit the Fire's gaming potential. That said, yeah, I preordered one.
  14. Kadin

Kadin Active Member

Since a preorder has no cost at this point, I'll bite for now. I'm pretty sure I'll get it. Looks great for the money.
  15. DoAndroidDream?

DoAndroidDream? Well-Known Member

I already have a NC that does everything I want it too. I'm going to wait and see what people can do with it first. If they release a 10" version and there is good dev support I might just make the change. Any word on BT capability?
  16. DoAndroidDream?

I know the Amazon App store has a printer share app.
  17. DoAndroidDream?

Personally I'd rather stick with the phone versions of the OS since they have so much nice dev work put into them and the tablet OS is still pretty much locked down.
  18. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

No micro-sd makes this a very limited device with poor space options for games and media storage. Unless people only intend on using this to surf or use as an e-reader, best to avoid like the plague.

Yes, I posted this twice, since due to the low internal storage, people will assume it has an sd slot. It will also be less practical to mod the tablet. Then again, due to the lack of storage, why bother?

Amazon got stupid in their feature set.
  19. artbytes

artbytes Well-Known Member

I read in the paper that all media such as books and video are stored in the cloud. Does this mean that you can't read a book or watch a movie unless you're connected to the Internet? That would be a bummer for travel.
  20. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

Didn't realize there was no card slot. Only 8mb and no slot, and no GPS, no way for me. I have 12 mb of MP3's... they say "free cloud storage for Amazon stuff"... guess that means you pay to store your Mp3's and movies.

I'll wait for a 3.2 device with slot and GPS, I'll bet there are many good ones by the end of the year under $300.
  21. rdalev

rdalev Well-Known Member

I'll put my money on the Toshiba Thrive 7" , this Dec. All the bells and whistles !

Toshiba's 7-inch Thrive
  22. po96od

po96od Member

I was in Best Buy earlier today and picked up a Blackberry Playbook to get a sense of what the Kindle Fire would be like physically (since the size/weight/dimensions are nearly identical). Impressions: First, 7" is not a very big screen. I'm not sure how much web surfing I'd really do on this thing, as the experience might not be all that much different from my 4.3" phone. If nothing else, the price is right, because I don't think you'd want to pay any more than $200 for a tablet this size. Second, the thing was actually kind of chunky. Felt much thicker and heavier than I'd expected it to. I'm still inclined to get one, but may wait to decide for sure until I can play with one in person.

Edit: I should mention that all the other 7" tablets on display were equally chunky-seeming (I hadn't really looked at that size range before). I'm not sure why the larger tablets like the Galaxy Tab 10.1" and the iPad are able to come in so much thinner and sleeker, but it does seem to be the case that no one's managed a similarly sleek 7" tablet so far.
  23. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

The lack of storage space is what ultimately kills it for gaming potential.
  24. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

So, do you think this will work with exchange? Also, it states that it includes free cloud storage of "Amazon Content". I assume that means only content you buy from Amazon - it does not mean that their music storage servie (like Google music) would be free?