• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"I pre-ordered the Kindle Fire" thread!

I may buy one by Christmas time. I just have to figure out whether I want to sell my Galaxy Tab or my TouchPad. I can't justify owning 3 tabletty devices. I will likely end up owning one at some point. Even un-rooted it's very, very hard to pass up. I'm around wifi all the time. I have all my music in Amazon's Cloud Player. I have tons of books in my Kindle library. I will likely be scrapping either my Touchpad or my Galaxy Tab for this thing at some point. Just a matter of when. I will probably wait until it's out and I can play with it at Best Buy first though.

Upvote 0
So, do you think this will work with exchange? Also, it states that it includes free cloud storage of "Amazon Content". I assume that means only content you buy from Amazon - it does not mean that their music storage servie (like Google music) would be free?

You can store a certain amount (5GB I think) uploaded from other sources.

Upvote 0
I read in the paper that all media such as books and video are stored in the cloud. Does this mean that you can't read a book or watch a movie unless you're connected to the Internet? That would be a bummer for travel.

I understand you can download books, movies, and music to the Fire (up to 8GB) and use them off-line. You can then swap with other media when you have a WiFi connection.

Upvote 0
Can you cut/paste the text of the email? I'd love to see it.

I am glad to here you are very excited about the Fire just as I am.

I am also very glad to tell you that the Fire does support the Amazon Apps and that the Amazon Appstore actually comes pre-installed on the Fire.

This I am very excited about and I'm sure you are as well. I hope this helps finalize your decision on your pre-order of the Fire.

I myself have already pre-ordered and can't wait for the Fire to release.

Thank You for contacting Amazon!

Upvote 0
I am glad to here you are very excited about the Fire just as I am.

I am also very glad to tell you that the Fire does support the Amazon Apps and that the Amazon Appstore actually comes pre-installed on the Fire.

This I am very excited about and I'm sure you are as well. I hope this helps finalize your decision on your pre-order of the Fire.

I myself have already pre-ordered and can't wait for the Fire to release.

Thank You for contacting Amazon!

I know I'm reading way between the lines here, but it doesn't actually say that all the apps from the Appstore will be on it. It just says that the Appstore will be there. Yeah, I'm really overanalyzing that.

Upvote 0
Yes and they have more storage size options too. Not to mention the iOS footprint and allocation is less, so more total space.

Amazon its trying to be like Apple, but a smaller, even less tasty version. CrabApple.

My guess is they will not allow non Amazon apps to be installed. Just like Apple.

This further fragments Android, but at a more systemic level.

Upvote 0
Yes and they have more storage size options too. Not to mention the iOS footprint and allocation is less, so more total space.

Amazon its trying to be like Apple, but a smaller, even less tasty version. CrabApple.

My guess is they will not allow non Amazon apps to be installed. Just like Apple.

This further fragments Android, but at a more systemic level.

I still think they will sell tons and tons of these because the vast majority of people don't care. They want content (which Amazon has) and they want to be able to access it easily (which Amazon is usually really good at).

Upvote 0
That's interesting as I'm thinking of selling my 7" Galaxy Tab and buying a Kindle Fire because I don't need the GPS, I've used the BT all of one time I think and I'm always near wifi. I'm debating on it because I've got a CDMA Tab and I COULD turn on 3G at any time. Well, any time Sprint decides they don't need to sell me a 2 year contract at $60 a month just for data anyway.

Upvote 0
Some of you are missing the point, but that's cool. The fact that it doesn't have SD, bluetooth, GPS, etc etc, is part of the thinking behind this device that's going to make it the first true competitor to the iPad and the first alternative to sell amazingly well.

So if what you're looking for is a computer in tablet form, the Fire is not for you. If the fact that it's not Google approved and has no access to the Marketplace is important to you, then the Fire is not for you.

This is an Amazon content device. It is for Prime members who want their content on a tablet, and for new users who want to buy into Amazon and Amazon Prime content.

And it will be a runaway success.

This seems to be a better proposition for those who want a cheap Android tablet. The Fire is not an Android tablet. It's an Amazon tablet. It doesn't fragment Android because it has absolutely nothing to do with Android, outside of Amazon's appstore.

Sorry if this sounds rough, but it's true. Sure, you can get it and root it and no one will stop you, but complaining that Amazon has decided to release a tablet that's all about Amazon's content and not about microSD and roms is just pointless.

Buy it, root it, make it better for "your" needs, but please realize it's pointless complaining about the fact that Amazon has decided to make money by serving the needs of the masses as opposed to the desires of the few. :)

Upvote 0
Some of you are missing the point, but that's cool. The fact that it doesn't have SD, bluetooth, GPS, etc etc, is part of the thinking behind this device that's going to make it the first true competitor to the iPad and the first alternative to sell amazingly well.

So if what you're looking for is a computer in tablet form, the Fire is not for you. If the fact that it's not Google approved and has no access to the Marketplace is important to you, then the Fire is not for you.

This is an Amazon content device. It is for Prime members who want their content on a tablet, and for new users who want to buy into Amazon and Amazon Prime content.

And it will be a runaway success.

This seems to be a better proposition for those who want a cheap Android tablet. The Fire is not an Android tablet. It's an Amazon tablet. It doesn't fragment Android because it has absolutely nothing to do with Android, outside of Amazon's appstore.

Sorry if this sounds rough, but it's true. Sure, you can get it and root it and no one will stop you, but complaining that Amazon has decided to release a tablet that's all about Amazon's content and not about microSD and roms is just pointless.

Buy it, root it, make it better for "your" needs, but please realize it's pointless complaining about the fact that Amazon has decided to make money by serving the needs of the masses as opposed to the desires of the few. :)

Yep i agree! I bought it because I want to primarily use it for my programming books and videos. Although i do plan to tinker with it after a while (when others have had success) i really could care less about it not having 1gb memory, cameras, gps, 3g, etc. I just wanted a cheap color kindle and this is exactly it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones