I really hope SE keeps us updated...General

Last Updated:

1. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If the N1 and Droid can get 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 etc, theres no reason the X10 cant, its all up to SE and if they choose to update it or not.....lets hope they do.

Advertisement
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

They've already said it'll get 2.1 - in Q4 this year...

3. Busha

Busha Well-Known Member

Because they are ******ed bunch of idiots ! They schedule update for 6 months and they will give us old version of OS, it is not a car world where you make facelifts every 3 years, it is phone market in which changes happen every 2 weeks !! By then it will be Android v3.0 and we will have AGAIN an outdated version. I mean, 6 months, 80% of users will by then buy another phone allready, they should tell us that we will get an update in 2012, that would be better...like they are having just 2 people working on OS developement...I guess then that new iPhone or HTC would be a better option to buy during the summer...

4. NZtechfreak

Yep, far too late. I think you should only buy the X10 if you think its good enough right now, pinning your hopes on updates will serve you poorly... Be interested to see how mine is in the next couple of days, doubt it'll replace my Desire, but it was too cheap and since I'll be able to sell for profit I had nothing to lose...

5. greenhornetuk

greenhornetuk Active Member

i think people make too much of an issue over this whole android version thing, for the regular user it makes absolutely no difference what version it is unless its causing some major problems. it only matters to people who feel they need to have the latest stuff just so they feel they are keeping up with the world.

6. NZtechfreak

I've seen that tired old argument trotted out so many times. Maybe it was true for early iterations of the OS, but certainly it won't be for Froyo. Apps to SD, Flash 10.1, serious enhancements to OS operating speed, DivX playback support, along with all the benefits of 2.1 like improved battery life, upgrades to the BT stack. Then of course theres the apps that only work on 2.0 and higher... Basically it does make a difference to 'the regular user', and no amount of exercising the ostritch theory will alter that.

7. NZtechfreak

ER, some problem with editing, meant to say WiFi tether and 16M colours where it says DivX playback (which is only rumoured).

8. Smg

Smg Well-Known Member

I think you should wait and see what effect 2.2 will have before just quoting of apparently how much faster it will be.

Yes the Desire is a nice phone but I chose the X10 instead because of the superior screen and camera and the extra things that SE will give us like HD video recording and DLNA.

9. chris_knows

chris_knows Member

I just pray every night for a root...

10. NZtechfreak

I didn't quote how much faster it is, just that it will be faster, which I don't think is particularly in doubt.

Camera in X10 is no doubt superior, and if thats very important to you then the X10 would have been the right choice, I'm not suggesting otherwise.

Screen superiority is moot though, all down to personal preference. I'll take MT/AMOLED/16M colours over the extra 0.3inches myself, you chose differently, thats fine.

I'm not saying the X10 isn't a fine phone, only that Q4 for 2.1 is poor, and by then still represents a significant gap with the leaders in terms of OS version. DLNA and HD video recording will be ubiquitous in many Android handsets by then, so even thats not a huge plus in its favor. If you plan of keeping the X10 longer term then its great to know that you will get some updates, I realise not every changes phones every few months like me :)

11. Crash27

Crash27 Well-Known Member

I to like my X10 but for the size of Sony you think they would be doing a lot better on the Upgrade market then Q4, This is supposed to be there top phone and with the competing market why do they wait for so long, It shows us the customers that we have just spent a ton of money for an outdated phone, I feel that they should put out a quick release of 2.1 right now to keep the Sony current and then in the Q4 they will have had enough time to figure out all the bugs and can give us the most current OS out at the time, I know that every company is going to have different software but this phone would be one of the top Android phones right now if they would just get a move on, Apparently they must not read the forums or care about our responses or they would have came up with some way to satisfy the growing concerns.

12. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I love my x10 but when 2. 2 comes out im gonna be very tempted to get the N1 with US 3G....