• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I really would love to root my Hero (Sprint)

I run overclocked at 768 on CM6 - using full version of SetCpu (free if you join xda)
Runs 691 (stock) on AOSP.9.7 - and it is FAST!!!!

Vals - You can root using an App from the Market - Search for Z4Root -
one click root.

Then do your research.... and find a rom!
Lots of support here.

I just downloaded and hit Root. I'm nervous.:( How long should the Please wait blue screen be on for?

Upvote 0
Don't be nervous.... Patience your phone will turnoff and Reboot itself -
When it comes back on -
Download ROM Manager from the Market - and from the app flash Clockwork recovery.
Then make a Nandroid (backup)

I'm pretty patient, I just wondered what the time frame is. The Please wait.... screen has been on since my last post and I just want to know what the usual time is until it shuts off and reboots.

ETA: Still blue screen, can I use my phone while this is going on? Not necessarily for calls but other features.

Upvote 0
I personally would not delete anything, you may delete something that will cause an issue, but if you want to delete Nascar, Football etc... then download Titanium backup that will delete those apps, do not delete Gtalk, I would flash yourself an AOSP ROM without the Sprint Bloatware, just do a Nandroid back up of your rooted stock, incase you mess up

Hey! I got the superuser icon.
What now? How do I delete the Sprint junk I don't use?
Should I have my SD card installed now?

Upvote 0
Just trying to avoid him deleting something that will cause issues down the road, we see it all the time, and try to trouble shoot and find out something was deleted, lol

CM6 here I come, LOL

HAHA - DON!
Go easy on him - NFX or LiquidSense are both like Stock Without the Bloat ware.

Upvote 0
CONGRATS - You Are Rooted! WOOT -
SD Card Installed ? ? ?
you mean apps to SD?

FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO - Download ROM manager from the market (free version is fine) Then Open it and flash Clockwork Mod.......

Also - Check the all things ROOT Section - from here you have LOTS of help over there!

I really appreciate your help. :)

The ROM manager doesn't seem to want to start downloading.:thinking: I've cancelled it and restarted it 3 times. Nevermind, it's going now.

Upvote 0
Yes, check the video in my signature, will show a couple of things about Rom manager, ClockWorkMod Manager Videos

This is fun! BTW, I'm a woman, I just love that pic of Capt. Kirk with his communicator.

So when I open the manager, do I choose 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery?

Upvote 0
Once you have a full back up, then you can save a copy on your PC also, then try a different Rom, you can try the one MCat and i are using as our main Rom, it is fast and snappy, responsive, no bloatware very Vanilla and you can set it the way you like it, check my rooted thread you will see some images I also posted, Rom is AOSP V 0,9.7 also you will need to flash the Gapps to get all the Google goodies like market and Gmail etc...

Click here to view >>My Root process for those that want to learn the process !!

When the current ROM is finished backing up, what do I do next? I am so clueless. My main reason for wanting to root is to get rid of football, Nascar, and other things I don't use. Where do I go to download other ROMs. I really don't want lots of junk on my phone. I also want to be able to choose my own splash screen and stuff like that.

Reactions: jasonofx
Upvote 0
How do I save it to my laptop and how do I get the Rom you mention onto my phone? Do I have to partition my sd card or can I just leave it?

What do you mean by "flash the Gapps?" and how do I do it? :eek:

Once you have a full back up, then you can save a copy on your PC also, then try a different Rom, you can try the one MCat and i are using as our main Rom, it is fast and snappy, responsive, no bloatware very Vanilla and you can set it the way you like it, check my rooted thread you will see some images I also posted, Rom is AOSP V 0,9.7 also you will need to flash the Gapps to get all the Google goodies like market and Gmail etc...

Click here to view >>My Root process for those that want to learn the process !!

Upvote 0
You download the file from the link I gave you , then once done, then plug your phone into your PC and mount it, then drag a copy of your Nandroid backup from your SD card on your cell phone to your PC, it will be in the clockwork folder/backups, then once done take the Rom I told you to download AOSP V 0.9.7 from the link I gave you in the post above, and also download the Gapps file from there that is so you have all the Google apps, as the ROM does not have those apps, so you need to add then after flashing your ROM

Here is the file, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=782320

How do I save it to my PB and how do I get the Rom you mention onto my phone? Do I have to partition my sd card or can I just leave it?

What do you mean by "flash the Gapps?" and how do I do it? :eek:

Upvote 0
What operating system you on and make sure once you get it going you take it out of charge only and mount it to your laptop

Ok, now I seem to be having an issue with my laptop not recognizing that my phone is plugged into it. Currently updating HTC Sync, hope that fixes the issue. I'm really not dense, really, I'm not. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones