• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I recently put my phone into some strange state. Does anyone know how I can put it back?

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 about a month ago & I recently put my Home Screen into some kind of altered state that I don't recognize & I sure do hope someone here might be able to tell me how to put it back into its original state.

It may help if I told you that I recently discovered if I tap anywhere on an empty spot on my Home Screen, I go into a different kind of state other than t "Original State". I'm calling this "Altered State" - only because I don't know its correct name.

If you are not familiar with what happens when you Tap & Hold on an empty spot on t Home Screen, please try that & you will see what I am trying to describe below. The state is virtually identical to t state I'm trying to describe.

T following is my attempt to describe this "Altered State". Perhaps t best way for you to understand this state is if you will do t following: Just tap & hold on any empty spot on t Home Screen & t phone will go into this state.

If you are not familiar with what happens when you tap & hold on an empty spot on t Home Screen, please try that (if you can) & then you will see what I'm trying to describe.

I sure would like to change my Home Screen back to its original state & find out just how it got into this state & how I can get it back to its original state.

Sometimes I experiment with my phone & go exploring in different areas & I think this change ocurred when I was doing that. I believe this change may have something to do with "Screen Lock" because I first noticed it when I was experimenting with that feature & I noticed a picture of a "lock" on my Home Screen.

Somehow, what I did was to change t nature of t "Menu" button on t LHS (Left Hand Side) of t menu bar at t bottom of my Home Screen. It used to display a menu, but it doesn't do that anymore. Now, when I tap on t left side of t menu bar, it causes t Home Screen to go into a different state which you can duplicate if you tap & hold on any empty spot on t Home Screen.

I wouldn't say this "Altered state" is any better or worse than its "original state". But it sure is different & I sure would like to know how I got my phone into this state in t first place & how I can get it back.

When I tap on t Apps, I go into some other kind of state related to t Apps & then, when I tap on t left side of t menu bar at t bottom of t screen, I can once more access a menu. But this menu is related to t Apps & some of t entries appear very useful. This menu contains eight items & they are labeled:

1) Edit 2) Create folder 3) View as 4) Downloaded apps 5) Uninstall/disable apps 6) Hide apps 7) Show hidden apps 8) Help

The "Help" option provides Help for t Home screen & its seven pages. It has four options which are labelled:

1) Adding Items 2) Creating folders 3) Removing items 4) Changing t wallpaper

Can anyone tell me how I got into this "Altered state" & what it might be called & how I can get back to t Original state once more? Thank you.
Okay so it seems that you've already tried the factory reset So if that did not work for you or you don't want to try that option then try a soft reset hold your up volume button and power button at the same time for about five to seven seconds you'll see it's a will shut off in 5 4 3 2 1 Then it'll come back on by itself ,it's called a soft reset try that.

Upvote 0
Are you using the app or browser.
On the app just tap my post until it turns blue then tap the 3 dot menu button at top right then "start a convo with"
On a browser I think you tap my picture then I'm not sure what you tap next. Should be obvious though.
Can't guarantee I'll reply though if it's a question that can be asked in public for others to learn from :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
On the app just tap my post until it turns blue then tap the 3 dot menu button at top right then "start a convo with"
On a browser I think you tap my picture then I'm not sure what you tap next. Should be obvious though.
Can't guarantee I'll reply though if it's a question that can be asked in public for others to learn from :thumbsupdroid:

I thought I was smart mate but your smarter!

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

I'm using the Firefox browser and I tried to click on your name but I can't see anything obvious.

The reason I wanted to send you a PM was to ask you what you meant when you said that you have seen the light about downloading pirated files.

I can certainly see the danger in downloading pirated apps. You can easily contract viruses and other malware.

But when it comes to data files, like music and videos, is the danger level really so great? I would have thought the danger would be much less. Am I wrong about that?

I'm definitely not advocating having anything to do with pirated files. I got a virus once by doing that and once was enough. That was five years ago and I have never downloaded another executable pirated app ever since. It's just far too dangerous for my tastes.

But, I'm just wondering how dangerous it is when it comes to data files - like music or movies or other videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
No its cool I'll answer here. I won't comment on pirated movies/music... Because lol..

But with pirated apps, I started using the Google Plus social networking site a couple of years ago and quickly got involved in the very close-knit Android scene on there, made good friends with app and rom developers and when you see someone as a friend, a PERSON, you just can't justify installing a cracked free version of their work that they spent hours (days or weeks) on for the price of a coffee.
It's that simple mate. Morals :thumbsupdroid:

And you're right, I don't think there is any risk that I know of from downloading pirated movies/music but we obviously can't discuss that here and it's down to your own morals what you do with that kind of thing but if movies never made any money, there would be no movies so try to go to the cinema sometimes. It's a better experience and supports the business.
Musical artists tend to earn money from concerts and merchandise nowadays (most of the artists I listen to offer their albums to download for free) but again, piracy is illegal so we can't discuss it.
Does that help mate?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm using the Firefox browser and I tried to click on your name but I can't see anything obvious.
1437071570434.jpg

It's right there - Start a Conversation.

I'm removing your email address before you're spammed out of existence.

If you think that downloading pirated media is NOT a malware vector - then you're kidding yourself. It's absolutely one of the best infection vectors going.

Our site rules are quite clear about not discussing piracy - and we allow discussing why it's a bad thing, to a point.

That's been done - please move on.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones