i returned my hero and got a moment, my thoughtsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. danielg

danielg Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've had htc phones for a long time, so naturally when the hero came out I was all for it. The phone I replaced was the touch pro which got flashed more times than I can count. I know there have been horror stories about that phone, but I never had any problem it....and htc rocks just fron xda dev alone....anyways I had it for 29 days, rooted, flashed to 1.1 removed all the sprint bloatware etc etc. Even messed around with removing sense ui for the speed increase....so here are my thoughts on the moment.

Just real fast - if you're reading this with a hero and are still within 30 days, return the hero and try out the moment. If you have a moment, try a hero. You have nothing to lose. I was going to keep the hero but thought "ill never know if ill like the moment until I actually use it" anyone can say whatever they want about what's better on which phone. Only you can decide what works for you.

Yeah its a bit bulky but I was used to the touch pro. Similar in size to the moment with the body glove cover. No biggie for me, but maybe to some of you.

Personally on looks I think its so so. Mos def not anything new or interesting, but not insanely ugly. Reminds me of the sprint mogul. Let's just say that the phone is blah looking.

The vanilla android is just that. Plain jane android. Through some open home skinning and such I've gotten fairly happy with the ui. I love the dock.I really do miss the ui of the sense dialers contacts etc etc. I miss the social network integration, picture from facebook, facebool phone numbers....I will not miss the lag dialing tho lol

The keyboard is so so. I've always had a hard qwerty, but after the hero I got used to the on screen pad. Stock soft keyboard suck ass. Reskinned and solved the problem. I don't really like the layout of the hard keyboard. I think its dumb.

I had the gps issue once where I was in a different country, but not anymore. Works fine for me.

I haven't tested the battery issue. So far so good. I'm not watching the meter though and it hasn't died on me lol

Canera is ok. I liked the hero's better but only cause of the options for sharpness, saturation etc. Honestly megapixels don't matter. Its the sensor and len. Anyone who's using the camera as their deciding factor needs to buy a point and shoot or dslr.

Ok quit rant. The camcorder functions suck. the fps look like ass. Coming from windows mobile where I could change the fps this sucks ass. Not that I ever use it, but the one time I do its going to look like shit.

I do miss the multi touch... a lot. Browsing is much better with it imo. The quick zoom scroll this for the moment does its job tho.

I also miss the trackball. If we could adjust the sensativity on the touchpad id like it more.

So here's the kicker and probably the reason I'm going to keep the moment....after rooting the hero, flashing, removing apps, etc etc etc the stock moment is still faster! I almost sold myself on keeping the hero...I'm glad I tried the moment. I don't understand how people can say they don't see a difference in performance. Its pretty significant imo. Apps are faster no phone lag etc. Gotta love the 800mhz proc. Just imagine after rooting, custom roms and overclocking. This will be a beast.

Thanks for listening. Ask if u have any questions.

Posted from my moment waiting for the fight to air. Excuse my typos pls

Advertisement
  2. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I definitely prefer the track ball, but oh well...also, I like the heros browser and the ability to double tap to enter the url and the ability to tap "x" to stop the page from loading.

I fail to realize the complaints about the moments keyboard though

3. danielg

Its more of a layout thing. The space bar is placed weird and the keys are offset differently compared to others. I'm sure ill get used to it, I just don't understand theogic behind it.

4. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I think its simply because they wanted to feature numbers without requiring you to click function....seriously though I actually didn't care about the qwerty kb, but after joining this forum and typing all these posts, I have learned to love it and I type with very few typos

5. wodin

wodin Well-Known Member

My only issue with the keyboard is the blue color of the Fn characters. My old eyeballs have been around for a while, and I have a really hard time trying to find the character I need. And the backlight invariably goes out before I find the right one, so it just gets harder.

Why couldn't they have made them some high contrast color? Does red ink cost more than blue ink?

It'll get better as I learn which characters are above which letters, but in the meantime whoever is responsible for the color decision had his/her head squarely inserted!

6. acp

acp Well-Known Member

lol I like the blue, but I can barely see the fn. The button looks dirty

7. Ms_Kady

Ms_Kady Well-Known Member

I like the keyboard on the moment and am glad to have gone away from the cramped keyboard on the Pre. I love the option of either touch screen keyboard or hardware.

When I first saw the spyshots of thw moment (back when it was dubbed the InstinqtQ) I knew I had to have one and am so glad I do.

8. kateybrooke

kateybrooke Member

I love the keyboard on my moment. I was coming from a palm treo 700wx, so the size of the moment feels really small and comfortable to me! SenseUI seemed pretty cool, but in the end the keyboard and the processor sold me on the moment, and I'm very happy with it so far. If only I could keep from muting myself while in a call, I'd have no complaints whatsoever!

9. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Odd, I thought we had a solution for that. You could just tap the home buttin after your call connects. That should keep you from the accidental mute.

10. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Odd, your proximity sensor should be turning your screen off as your phone nears your face. Unless you hold the phone at an odd angle so that light hits the sensor. You way want to test that sensor, dial a number or listen to a voice mail, and place a finger over sensor array at the top of the screen, if the phones screen goes black then it is working, And if that is working I'd go with Edaze55's advice.

11. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Unlike some others I love the touchpad. I have the trackball on the Blackberry and it works okay, but the Samsung touchpad is sleeker, easier for me to manipulate, and won't break down / get dirty like a physical trackball.

12. danielg

Wow it turned into a keyboard debate lol

Anyways, gave it some more thought - I think my single biggest gripe about the moment is the fact that there isn't XDA Dev like support for it - so while the hero got a lot of progress done quite quickly, I think us moment owners are going to have a wait awhile. Coming from windows mobile, I don't have the slightest idea of what to do. I can manage my way around certain things, but that's about it.

I can't wait for the goods!

13. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

And as far as trackball vs optical pad, I once got a grain of sand or two under the trackball of the Hero... Arggg that was a nightmare. It felt terrible trying to roll it and it made pretty audible noise. If there wasn't as much play as there was then that wouldn't have happened.

14. kateybrooke

kateybrooke Member

Hitting the home screen does prevent that but I end up launching apps and I feel it vibrate when it tries to move my shortcuts around on the homescreen. I've tested my proximity sensor and it does work. I'm not sure how I'm holding the phone wrong when I talk but I'm doing something!