I rooted!!! Is there a free wireless tether app?

Last Updated:

1. danielkogan

danielkogan Well-Known Member

I rooted!!! Is there a free wireless tether app?

2. qcom

qcom Well-Known Member

That's what I was just about to post! :)

I'm trying out this one right now..
  3. danielkogan

danielkogan Well-Known Member

that didn't seem to work for me...
  4. kgeissler

kgeissler Well-Known Member

5. Scholar

Scholar Member

The following pertains to lapdock use:

Barnacle worked flawlessly. Wifi Tether required that I change the network proxy to default before it worked.
  6. ad78

ad78 Active Member

i rooted and went to mobile hotspot and it activate itself... i did not create a apn or whatsoever
  7. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Well-Known Member

Hows the root? I am waiting on some people to cook up some Nice ROMs before i switch cause I am due for an upgrade, I love my iPhone and display but if Apple doesn't change this tired interface, here I come Android.
  8. freedom1911

freedom1911 Active Member

Not sure if this is what your looking for. And I'm not sure if this will work on a rooted phone.
    Go to the Android Market and get Quick settings app.
    Open it and click on your phones menu button normally next to the home button. Select customize. At next screen find wifi hotspot in the list. Put finger on gray lines to right of words, after a second you can drag that function up to the top of the screen.
    Back out of that screen and then turn wifi hotspot on.
    My phone is not rooted, this app works great on my phone.
  9. qcom

qcom Well-Known Member

Actually, I found this how-to over at the Atrix Forums which doesn't even require a root!!

I have personally tried this and it works flawlessly! :D
    HyperM3 likes this.
  10. jb33

jb33 Member

Working for me, but no Access Control. Getting about 1.25Mb/s D, and .29Mb/s U from computer tethered to phone. That's consistent with tested phone speeds as well (San Rafael, CA.)

But I was really uneasy with the level of information access the app required. Can anyone can confirm it is trust worthy?

11. jb33

jb33 Member

arcticrider likes this.
  12. jb33

jb33 Member

i'm using speedtest.net to test the barnacle tethered computer and phone on back to back tests to same server. speeds are varying a lot, but I seem to regularly see the computer get > 4Mbps, while the phone itself tops out about 1.5Mbps. Any theories as to why?
  13. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link! Brilliant and it just worked perfectly. Now, Im going to post the settings because I want to ask a question about them:

Name: AT&T
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: leave blank
    Port: 80
    Server: leave blank
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS Port: 80
    Authentication Type: leave blank
    APN Type: leave blank

Do you think if we leave the "Name" blank, will that keep the AT&T from showing up at the top of the notification bar?
  14. R1ckyb0nd

R1ckyb0nd New Member

Does each method change the data usage type on your bill to wap.cingular?
    Or does that only happen when you create a new APN?
  15. ataraxia

ataraxia New Member

Of all the Wireless Tether apps.. has anyone found one that particularly works well with the Atrix?

When I had my OG Droid, Barnacle worked better instead of Android WiFi Tether. Has anyone tested a number of them?
  16. ad78

ad78 Active Member

its still accumulating your subscription whether you are on 2GB limit etc...

yes, its free but if you excess for 2GB limit they will charge you.

im trying to find out if there is an APN rather than wap.cingular?