• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I rooted. Now, how do I remove bloatware apps like Social and Media Hub, etc? Also...

visualoddity

May 11, 2009
So, as i says, I finally rooted last so I can backup and whatnot.

WITHOUT having to change ROM's (there isn't a good, stable one for the TMo GT7+), how can I remove the POS bloatware on this tablet, like Social Hub, Media Hub, etc? There has to be a way, yea?

Also, I am using Go Launched Tablet, which I LOVE, and I use the task monitor in the system tray. Even when running optimally, it's at %35-%50, which seems high, is it not? I keep noticing the % going into the high 70's and 80's (see below). Then when I open it, I see apps/processes I am NOT running using RAM, like Pen Memo, Social Hub, Media Hub, Titanium Media Sync (not even set up yet), Shazam, Soundhound, etc... So, my question is this; How can I stop these apps from running if I have not initialized them? For instance, When I need it, I want to be able to run Shazam, but I DON'T want it to run itself in the background when not in use. I want to limit RAM to ACTIVE processes and apps. How can I do this?

I did download Gemini App Manager based on a search for this issue, and it will allow me to "Ban" apps, but then they aren't there for me to run when I need to. I simply want to make sure that apps like these do not run in the background needlessly, but only when I request they run.

Thoughts, Ideas? Thanks for any insight... :cool:

SC20120620-121134.jpg

Have you tried to use Titanium Backup Pro to freeze those unwanted bloat apps? You can also back them up and remove them. Or you can try installing a custom ROM. There's a couple of custom ROMS in XDA.

I'm actually holding off until ICS comes out so I don't have to root to freeze apps.

By the way, nice set up!

Upvote 0
Have you tried to use Titanium Backup Pro to freeze those unwanted bloat apps? You can also back them up and remove them. Or you can try installing a custom ROM. There's a couple of custom ROMS in XDA.

I'm actually holding off until ICS comes out so I don't have to root to freeze apps.

By the way, nice set up!
I have been holding off root until ICS for months now, just because I don't want any complications whatsoever (and of course when I bought it, the little tag said it was getting upgraded to ICS soon). Patience... wearing ... thin...

Upvote 0
To remove bloatware on most distributions, besides simply having root, you must also change the permissions on the partitions first, remounting them rw. But note I think most of the time these partitions go back to ro (read only) aftr restart.

I think Titanium Backup does that for you, under the hood, but I haven't tried it yet. I have been removing my bloatware old-school in a terminal window

Even though I said I was going to wait, I didn't wait. Root on the 6210 is super simple. So I went ahead and rooted and did some stuff then upgraded to the Austrian/UK version of the ICS 4.04. it is running pretty good with only 1 or 2 minor glitches (mostly involving my desktops). Very happy with the tablet now, only a mere 7 months after I bought it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones