• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I screwed something up

hey, I need advice on how to fix something.
I have a droid X, which has swype preinstalled, but a different version than the latest beta. It says I can't use the new beta if my phone had swype preinstalled. I rooted my phone, and I backed everything up with Titanium backup. I uninstalled swype from my phone (i checked online, and its supposed to be an ok thing to do), and downloaded the new beta. I installed it, and as soon is its done, android tells me it has to force close swype because of an error. I've tried multiple times. I then went in to Ti backup and restored swype, and it didn't show back up as an input option. I then reverted to a full backup from right before I uninstalled swype, and still nothing.

What am I to do? Would a factory reset do the trick? At this point, as long as I have swype I'll be happy; I don't care which version now.

hey, I need advice on how to fix something.
I have a droid X, which has swype preinstalled, but a different version than the latest beta. It says I can't use the new beta if my phone had swype preinstalled. I rooted my phone, and I backed everything up with Titanium backup. I uninstalled swype from my phone (i checked online, and its supposed to be an ok thing to do), and downloaded the new beta. I installed it, and as soon is its done, android tells me it has to force close swype because of an error. I've tried multiple times. I then went in to Ti backup and restored swype, and it didn't show back up as an input option. I then reverted to a full backup from right before I uninstalled swype, and still nothing.

What am I to do? Would a factory reset do the trick? At this point, as long as I have swype I'll be happy; I don't care which version now.

Check the swype website. They had a section at one time for those with pre-installed swype. You may have to re-download it from them to get it to work. I have never heard of swype working once it was backed up and reinstalled from the backup but rather it can only be pulled down from their site.

The following is the link for the pre-loaded swype forum (since I don't have the pre-loaded version can't speak specifically to redoing it.):

http://forum.swype.com/forumdisplay.php?45-Swype-PreLoad&

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones