• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I think I am ready for Voodoo

xceebeex

Sep 10, 2010
So I think that I am ready to move on to give voodoo a try. Where can I read up on all of the aspects of voodoo? I understand that the main thing it does is convert the filesystem from rfs to ext4 but other than that I am still fairly new to it.

Anyway, I have read that there are two "versions" of cwr, green and red. Where can I go to see when you use red and when you use green for voodoo stuff? Also, where would I look for ways to disable/uninstall voodoo if i decide to switch back? I also saw that I should be familiar with adb, I have the chat log from that workshop a while back, but other than that what else do I need to know and where can I go?

I have an engineering degree and work as a Systems Engineer so I grasp stuff like this pretty quickly so I really just need a place to go to look at some material before just jumping in.

Ok, I think I got this. I am going to lay out what I think is going on here and someone please correct me if I am wrong.

1. I want to make a nandroid backup of where I am right now in case I screw up. I also want to backup apps and data with Titanium Backup and something like Handcent for text messages.

2. I am probably going to want to wipe data and start fresh so I would boot in to recovery and wipe data. Now my question here is after I wipe data where does that leave me? Am I still rooted? Is the radio I am currently on still installed?

2a. If I literally lose everything then I would follow the initial root steps again to get cwr back on and all of that fun stuff.

3. Now I would install whatever ROM that I want

4. Next I would install the Voodoo kernal that I want and this is exactly the same process as non-voodoo. Does the red cwr get installed as part of the voodoo kernal? How do I boot in to the red cwr versus the green (since both would be on the phone)?

5. Once I get that done I could load my contacts and apps and whatnot back by re-downloading TiBu and restoring my apps and download my contacts back to the phone.

6. Once I get this done, I would want to boot in to red cwr and make a nandroid backup in red? This allows me to go back to previous voodoo based setups correct and that is the ONLY time I want to use that backup? If I want to go back to non voodoo I would boot into red cwr and disable voodoo. Does that then make green cwr my "default" cwr? If so, then I would just boot in to green cwr now and install nonvoodoo and all signs of voodoo are gone?

Is there anything else that I am missing? Some other things I think that I understand are that I can install themes and everything the same way that I do now with green cwr, but I just have to use red cwr once I have the voodoo kernel installed correct? Then as far as adb goes, which I think I have a handle on now and everything is installed, that is really a failsafe in case I screw something up right?

This all seems pretty straight forward but I just want to make sure I am not missing something before diving in.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Ok, I think I got this. I am going to lay out what I think is going on here and someone please correct me if I am wrong.

1. I want to make a nandroid backup of where I am right now in case I screw up. I also want to backup apps and data with Titanium Backup and something like Handcent for text messages.

2. I am probably going to want to wipe data and start fresh so I would boot in to recovery and wipe data. Now my question here is after I wipe data where does that leave me? Am I still rooted? Is the radio I am currently on still installed?

2a. If I literally lose everything then I would follow the initial root steps again to get cwr back on and all of that fun stuff.

3. Now I would install whatever ROM that I want

4. Next I would install the Voodoo kernal that I want and this is exactly the same process as non-voodoo. Does the red cwr get installed as part of the voodoo kernal? How do I boot in to the red cwr versus the green (since both would be on the phone)?

5. Once I get that done I could load my contacts and apps and whatnot back by re-downloading TiBu and restoring my apps and download my contacts back to the phone.

6. Once I get this done, I would want to boot in to red cwr and make a nandroid backup in red? This allows me to go back to previous voodoo based setups correct and that is the ONLY time I want to use that backup? If I want to go back to non voodoo I would boot into red cwr and disable voodoo. Does that then make green cwr my "default" cwr? If so, then I would just boot in to green cwr now and install nonvoodoo and all signs of voodoo are gone?

Is there anything else that I am missing? Some other things I think that I understand are that I can install themes and everything the same way that I do now with green cwr, but I just have to use red cwr once I have the voodoo kernel installed correct? Then as far as adb goes, which I think I have a handle on now and everything is installed, that is really a failsafe in case I screw something up right?

This all seems pretty straight forward but I just want to make sure I am not missing something before diving in.

Thanks!

#1 yes go ahead and make a nandroid and backup in tb
#2 you do need to go into clockwork wipe data to install a rom. But wiping data doesn't remove root or clockwork it just wipes apps, contacts, any data.
#3 yes now you can install rom as long as you've backed everything up.
#4 when you install voodoo rom, it is same process as non voodoo but listen for talking to make sure its working, the red clockwork will install with it. To boot into red you can either cold boot using the 3 button volume up volume down and power, or if you d/l a theme that has reboot option use it. If you go through rom manager it will be green cw.
#5 yes if everything goes through then try to restore your stuff
#6 yes at this point make another nandroid. But if some reason you want to go back to non voodoo then going into red cw and disable lagfix will remove the voodoo but you need to flash 11/29 non voodoo(i think) to remove red clockwork

Yes you can use red clockwork to do everything once you are on v5. Having adb knowledge is a good idea to save your butt along with di01 all in one rescue package.

Upvote 0
#1 yes go ahead and make a nandroid and backup in tb
#2 you do need to go into clockwork wipe data to install a rom. But wiping data doesn't remove root or clockwork it just wipes apps, contacts, any data.
#3 yes now you can install rom as long as you've backed everything up.
#4 when you install voodoo rom, it is same process as non voodoo but listen for talking to make sure its working, the red clockwork will install with it. To boot into red you can either cold boot using the 3 button volume up volume down and power, or if you d/l a theme that has reboot option use it. If you go through rom manager it will be green cw.
#5 yes if everything goes through then try to restore your stuff
#6 yes at this point make another nandroid. But if some reason you want to go back to non voodoo then going into red cw and disable lagfix will remove the voodoo but you need to flash 11/29 non voodoo(i think) to remove red clockwork

Yes you can use red clockwork to do everything once you are on v5. Having adb knowledge is a good idea to save your butt along with di01 all in one rescue package.

So if a theme has reboot options will it automatically go to red cwr? If I decide to remove voodoo does it have to be the 11/29 non voodoo or just any non voodoo kernel? Also, once I disable lagfix do I stay in red cwr to flash the non voodoo kernel or do I have to boot in to green cwr?

Thanks for the response!

Upvote 0
So if a theme has reboot options will it automatically go to red cwr? If I decide to remove voodoo does it have to be the 11/29 non voodoo or just any non voodoo kernel? Also, once I disable lagfix do I stay in red cwr to flash the non voodoo kernel or do I have to boot in to green cwr?

Thanks for the response!

#1 Im not sure about everyones themes but I know nit puts reboot into recovery in all his themes, and yes this will boot you into red cw
#2 as far as I know it has to be 11/29 non voodoo to remove the red cw
#3 you can stay in red to flash the non voodoo because it will be removing it when you flag and it is changing the ext4 back to rfs

Upvote 0

Thanks for the response!

You will likely never want to remove VooDoo5 :D

At least I won't be anytime soon.

Upvote 0

Thanks for the response!

#1 Im not sure about everyones themes but I know nit puts reboot into recovery in all his themes, and yes this will boot you into red cw
#2 as far as I know it has to be 11/29 non voodoo to remove the red cw
#3 you can stay in red to flash the non voodoo because it will be removing it when you flag and it is changing the ext4 back to rfs
Any non-voodoo based off jt's will do. I havent done this since December but I used a post 11/29 and it worked then. We just used to tell people 11/29 since that was a stable one. But frankly even imnuts 01/08 no-voodoo would work fine Im sure

Upvote 0
Any non-voodoo based off jt's will do. I havent done this since December but I used a post 11/29 and it worked then. We just used to tell people 11/29 since that was a stable one. But frankly even imnuts 01/08 no-voodoo would work fine Im sure

Ok I wasn't sure about that part so I figured its better saying what I *know* works ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of the help guys! I think I am going to go ahead and do this later tonight. I ended up playing some Gran Turismo 5 for a while last night so it got too late for me to try it in case something went wrong.

Right now I am running one of nit's themes so I have the recovery option so I just wanted to make sure it would go in to red. Oh, the other question that I have is will the same update.zip file that I originally created work to get in to red cwr?

Is there ever a time I would want to go in to green cwr while running voodoo or do you always use red?

Thanks again guys and I will post again here later tonight when I start the process. :) Does anyone have a link to 11/29 non-voodoo so I can download that so I have it?

Upvote 0
Another question....right now I am on DJ05, if I switched to DL09 would the same voodoo kernels work for DL09? Also, will ROM/kernel development shift towards DL09 now that it is official or will dev's stick with DJ05?

From what I'm hearing theres really no use of moving to dl09 if you are on dj05. And from what I understand rom and kernel dev has pretty much slowed down to a crawl almost a stop because work is being done for froyo/gb and the kernels are about as far as they are going with eclair

Upvote 0
Another question....right now I am on DJ05, if I switched to DL09 would the same voodoo kernels work for DL09? Also, will ROM/kernel development shift towards DL09 now that it is official or will dev's stick with DJ05?

dj05 and dl09 kernels are interchangable....but theres really no kernel dev going on atm for it...what we have is what we have :)

Upvote 0
From what I'm hearing theres really no use of moving to dl09 if you are on dj05. And from what I understand rom and kernel dev has pretty much slowed down to a crawl almost a stop because work is being done for froyo/gb and the kernels are about as far as they are going with eclair

Ok great thanks! Any thoughts on my previous post (post #16)?

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of the help guys! I think I am going to go ahead and do this later tonight. I ended up playing some Gran Turismo 5 for a while last night so it got too late for me to try it in case something went wrong.

Right now I am running one of nit's themes so I have the recovery option so I just wanted to make sure it would go in to red. Oh, the other question that I have is will the same update.zip file that I originally created work to get in to red cwr?

Is there ever a time I would want to go in to green cwr while running voodoo or do you always use red?

Thanks again guys and I will post again here later tonight when I start the process. :) Does anyone have a link to 11/29 non-voodoo so I can download that so I have it?

I personally only use red clockwork

Upvote 0
as long as you have done it before which I assume you have, then it should not be necessary to apply update.zip

When you use the reboot option "Recovery" it brings you to the Samsung Recovery Utility NOT cwr so you have to apply the update.zip to get in to recovery. You have to do that each time you use that option (or at least I do, I just tried it twice in a row).

So I was wondering if when you select "Recovery" from the reboot options when on voodoo does it still bring you to the Samsung Utility first and if it does, would the update.zip get me to green or red cwr.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones