• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I think I bought a rooted phone...

Hey guys, first post here and new to the G1 community..I've got some questions, hope you guys can help.

First off...I recently bought a slightly used G1 and noticed that it had some features that I know didn't come standard. So I'm wondering if this sucker was rooted already. I looked up the build number and no where does state an RC#...here is what mine says...

firmware version: 1.5
Kernel Version: 2.6.27-00392-g8312baf jesusefreke@androidDev
Build Number: dream_devphone-userdebug 1.5 CRB21 147201 test-keys

So...rooted? If so, do i need to update anything, and how do I do it?

Hey guys, first post here and new to the G1 community..I've got some questions, hope you guys can help.

First off...I recently bought a slightly used G1 and noticed that it had some features that I know didn't come standard. So I'm wondering if this sucker was rooted already. I looked up the build number and no where does state an RC#...here is what mine says...

Well first welcome to the forums.... and yes if that is your build you are rooted.. Jesus Freke is well known and is probably one of the most solid rooted builds out... and it appears that who ever rooted it put the ADP1 aka Developers Phone build so congrats!

Upvote 0

AS NoOneHereYet stated you have a good solid rooted build for your phone ...

You can update the phone with other builds and more recent changes .... use the link in NoOneHereYet's Signature for >>>> Android Builds ...
Just be careful to follow a good guide exactly and be sure you have ALL of the Correct files for the Build you are flashing ... IF in Doubt ask first ... dont brick your phone first and then ask for help ....

AND .... Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0
very cool...Ok, so here is another question....I downloaded a JF updater off of the apps market, and it tells me that there is an update...JF 1.51 Cupcake ADP1...first off, do I need it, second, do I need to do anything after downloading it or before downloading it? I'm a total newb to this whole thing, so I will probably have lots of questions..lol Also, how do you reboot the phone?

Upvote 0
very cool...Ok, so here is another question....I downloaded a JF updater off of the apps market, and it tells me that there is an update...JF 1.51 Cupcake ADP1...first off, do I need it, second, do I need to do anything after downloading it or before downloading it? I'm a total newb to this whole thing, so I will probably have lots of questions..lol Also, how do you reboot the phone?

If you have already have a rooted phone !!! You can use the JF Updater to install JF's published builds .... but you first need to do the basic rooting first ...

He has not updated the list in a long time .. and the Lastes JF 1.51 Cupcake for ADP1 (android Developer phone) is pretty much the same as a stock unrooted phone except possibly for Browser Multitouh ...

-

Upvote 0
So what does the basic rooting consist of?

I just thought of something else...I understand that you first need to format your SD card to FAT32 right?....well, when i bought the phone, he didn't give me the SD card...I already had a 2GB card that I put in it...do I need to reformat it?

Yes SD card's are best formated to FAT32 ... and you need to buy the better class card's Class 2, 4, or 6 class 6 having the fastest writing speed ...

You can read the Guide on Rooting & UnRooting in my signature ... do a TAG search for "root" on this form for lots more info on rooting ...

Upvote 0
Do you have an app that says terminal emulator if so open it up and type "su" if it says access denied than it's not rooted. A warning you need to read a lot if you have a rooted phone www.xda-development.com you will have hicups if you start flashing new ROM's just read all you can many times.

Yes, Good advice --- Read and Ask Questions First !!! Bricking is not FUN !!! :eek:

Upvote 0
If you have already have a rooted phone !!! You can use the JF Updater to install JF's published builds .... but you first need to do the basic rooting first ...

He has not updated the list in a long time .. and the Lastes JF 1.51 Cupcake for ADP1 (android Developer phone) is pretty much the same as a stock unrooted phone except possibly for Browser Multitouh ...

-

JJJ, he is ALREADY rooted and needs to do NOTHING more than install the JF updater to update the JF builds and JF did just make a CRC1 build a day or 2 ago just dont know if he has pushed it out yet.... once your rooted you do not need to RE-ROOT unless you bork your phone....

Upvote 0

If you are on a JF build and you install the JF updater all you need to do is select the build you want preferably the ADP1 IMO and let it do its thing... you do not need to do anything else.... If you plan on changing builds that is a slightly different story but you DO NOT have to re do the entire rooting process....

Upvote 0
JJJ, he is ALREADY rooted and needs to do NOTHING more than install the JF updater to update the JF builds and JF did just make a CRC1 build a day or 2 ago just dont know if he has pushed it out yet.... once your rooted you do not need to RE-ROOT unless you bork your phone....

WHERE in the following statement do you read into his words that he is rooted ...?

Originally Posted by AirMech74

I just thought of something else...I understand that you first need to format your SD card to FAT32 right?....well, when i bought the phone, he didn't give me the SD card...I already had a 2GB card that I put in it...do I need to reformat it?

He ask what is rooting about ? He has not even with a FAT32 card to put a flash ON !!
So explain to US where you get out of this that he is rooted or that he even came close to saying i am rooted....

CRC1 Does NOT indicate you arre rooted or not .... It means you have the latest security update within what ever build you have ...

In addition you can have The JF Updater App on your rooted or unrooted the difference is if you run JF Updater from a rooted OS then if will tell you the update builds that JF has published... If you are not rooted then running the JF Updater will inform you that you dont have a compatible OS

So if he is seeing a list of like 6 build options then I agree he would be rooted ...

Upvote 0
WHERE in the following statement do you read into his words that he is rooted ...?

Originally Posted by AirMech74

He ask what is rooting about ? He has not even with a FAT32 card to put a flash ON !!
So explain to US where you get out of this that he is rooted or that he even came close to saying i am rooted....

CRC1 Does NOT indicate you arre rooted or not .... It means you have the latest security update within what ever build you have ...

In addition you can have The JF Updater App on your rooted or unrooted the difference is if you run JF Updater from a rooted OS then if will tell you the update builds that JF has published... If you are not rooted then running the JF Updater will inform you that you dont have a compatible OS

So if he is seeing a list of like 6 build options then I agree he would be rooted ...

Sorry man I was basing my answer off of his first post in which he said he had a JF build...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I tried to change from JF1.5 to a Hayruko Magic build. first thing the guide said was to change to a new radio image. Which after I did that, shit would hang at the G1 screen. I can get into the bootloader and rainbow screen but not actually load anything up. I tried to press on and dl the new ADP, which i dont really know if it ever worked since the phone still wouldnt boot.

At this point it was the next morning and I'm in a cab and I needed my phone so i attempted to unroot the phone by dl/n the original ADP, which went fine, and the Dreaimg.php which it cant find the image.

I go between my card reader and the G1 a couple times trying to get the phone to read dreaimg.php

Then the G1 ejected the mini SD card about 3 feet out into the cab/air. It may have cleared out the window. So when I get to where I'm going I try and clean the whole taxi out looking for the damn thing, but to no avail. The taxi driver wasnt real happy waiting around for me.

So now what?

I went out and bought another 8gb mini SD.

Upvote 0
I tried to change from JF1.5 to a Hayruko Magic build. first thing the guide said was to change to a new radio image. Which after I did that, shit would hang at the G1 screen. I can get into the bootloader and rainbow screen but not actually load anything up. I tried to press on and dl the new ADP, which i dont really know if it ever worked since the phone still wouldnt boot.

At this point it was the next morning and I'm in a cab and I needed my phone so i attempted to unroot the phone by dl/n the original ADP, which went fine, and the Dreaimg.php which it cant find the image.

I go between my card reader and the G1 a couple times trying to get the phone to read dreaimg.php

Then the G1 ejected the mini SD card about 3 feet out into the cab/air. It may have cleared out the window. So when I get to where I'm going I try and clean the whole taxi out looking for the damn thing, but to no avail. The taxi driver wasnt real happy waiting around for me.

So now what?

I went out and bought another 8gb mini SD.

there is no Dreaimg.php its DREAIMG.NBH and you can d/l it here http://www.getyourdroidon.com/root/DREAIMG-RC29.zip

Upvote 0
so i can just put dreaimg.nbh on my my sd card? I'm dying here without out a phone haha!

Format the Micro SD Card to FAT32.

Copy the DREAIMG.nbh file to the Micro SD Card.

With the phone off, hold camera and press power to boot into the bootloader.

Once the bootloader is loaded, press power to install.Press the trackball to continue and press talk+menu+power to reboot.

Upvote 0
So i found an update file to bring me up to RC30, so now what? Just wait for the OTA to 1.5?

Or can you suggest a ROM out there truly faster than JF1.5?

JF1.5 had way too many force closes, and was rather laggy.

well if your unrooting then you do not want his build... if your staying with root I would recommend either Cyanogen or Soul Life builds both can be found here Builds - GetYourDroidOn

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones