• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I think I got it!!!!!!

imola20ae

Aug 23, 2010
OK. I have done some research and if any of the experts can chime in and offer any suggestions I thank you in advance.

I have 2.2 and I am completely stock. I want to root using the xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G

method and a couple video walkthroughs that I have watched that back up this method.

From what I have gathered, once rooted,

1) I will be able to run some of the various CPU apps to help conserve battery power during standby and overclock when I am using the handset.

2) I will have SU access and the ability to flash any one of the various ROM's available, however I like the Sense UI.

I am really more interested in the battery conservation than anything.

The only questions that I have, is I can still run 2.2 with Sense and still have SU access and the ability to over/underclock at will, right?

and

If I run a different ROM, I can use the later steps in the rooting process to reflash 2.2 and go back to just a stock rooted 2.2?

Like I said, I did a lot of reading and this is what I have gathered.

Thanks in advance

Imola20ae

Toast,
Thanks bro. As soon as I can back to the house its on.

I also just got done reading pingpongboss's right up on under/overclocking. DAMN 64 hours!! Thats crazy!!!

I can get 64hrs by not using my phone by then again what's he point of having such an awesome phone if u r not gonna use it. Most of the people getting this massive battery life they barely use the phone. Real phone usage moderate-heavy I get anywhere between 10-24hrs.

Upvote 0
BBuser that sound a lot more realistic. What setup are you running?

CM6 with his snap8.1nHavs825 which I just flashed. Before I had the same ROM with his snap7.4havs825, I always leave my phone unplugged overnight so that's about 8hrs idling then go to work,text,web browsing(lots of it),phone calls and will still make it home with 50% after being unplugged for about 11hrs.

Upvote 0
CM6 with his snap8.1nHavs825 which I just flashed. Before I had the same ROM with his snap7.4havs825, I always leave my phone unplugged overnight so that's about 8hrs idling then go to work,text,web browsing(lots of it),phone calls and will still make it home with 50% after being unplugged for about 11hrs.

The snapxxxxxxx is the kernel right? See that's battery conservation that I want but really like using sense (if I said that correctly) . I should be able to get similar results rooted with a CPU app, ya think?

Upvote 0
The snapxxxxxxx is the kernel right? See that's battery conservation that I want but really like using sense (if I said that correctly) . I should be able to get similar results rooted with a CPU app, ya think?

If you like Sense the u should go with Fresh or any other Sense ROM and Netarchys or Kings Kernel,they both proven perform good while saving battery.

Must of the tweaks to save battery life are in the Kernel, setcpu will help to as u can set different profiles as ur battery gets lower u can lower ur CPU frequency which leads to better battery life,screen of profiles and more.

Reactions: imola20ae
Upvote 0
If you like Sense the u should go with Fresh or any other Sense ROM and Netarchys or Kings Kernel,they both proven perform good while saving battery.

Must of the tweaks to save battery life are in the Kernel, setcpu will help to as u can set different profiles as ur battery gets lower u can lower ur CPU frequency which leads to better battery life,screen of profiles and more.

Thanks for the info BB, I was originally just gonna use 2.2 rooted and start with setcpu. But I may as well try out some of the roms.

Upvote 0
IMO CM6 is more than a Senseless ROM, is a bad boy build from the ground up not just a stock modified ROM like most of the ones flying around.

I, for one, have liked this rom (CM6) the best out of the four I've tried. From what I've read and seen, it's more of a collaboration of numerous devs...so it has a little bit of everything from everywhere, but it runs soooo smoothly. I haven't flashed the custom kernal yet, but I'm thinking that's next on my list. Need to learn a few more things before I dig that deep, but it's definitely tempting.

Upvote 0
I can't really explain what "sense" is, maybe someone else can do it better. To me, it's the animated things that came with the evo (Friendstream, The clock with the weather animations, the bubblestyle dialer, most of the widgets, etc.). In my opinion, a rom without sense is more "clean cut". Less about animations, more about functionality. It's more of a straight up Android software, if that makes sense.

My battery life with CM6 has been great. I'm not a super big phone user, but I do the typical web search, watch a few videos, talk for about two hours, and text throughout the day (50-100). My battery is at 26% remaining and has been unplugged for 17h 12m 31s. I don't consider myself a heavy user...more of a moderate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones