I think I lost root :(

Last Updated:

1. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was running CM6, but I had heard some people saying they were getting even better performance from stock 2.2, so I thought I'd give it a try. I downloaded a 2.2 ROM using ROM Manager and it said I could get a rooted or non-rooted version. The only option I was given was to select Superuser Permissions, which seems to be an app but I don't know how to use it. I know for sure I don't have root anymore. How do I get root back? Is there an easy way to simply restore from the nandroid backup I did prior to this?

I don't have clockworkmod recovery anymore. I tried to reflash it but I can't because I don't have root.

Help! :)

Advertisement
  2. istolvampire

istolvampire Well-Known Member

is the superuser app in your app drawer?

3. johninbigd

Yep, but I don't know what to do with it. When I run it I just see a blank screen. I can hit the menu button and go to a settings page, but the app itself doesn't seem to do anything. How do I use it?

4. istolvampire

If you have this app then you are rooted. Now you need to flash a recovery so you can flash a rom. Down load Rom Manager from the market(if you can or have it already) and flash either Sprecovery or the more popular Clockwork. Then you can flash a rom from Rom Manager(if you use Clockwork Recovery) or manually using Sprecovery and an update.zip of a rom.

You can restore from a nandroid backup with these as well. Sprecovery will easily restore your backup from the recovery screen just select restore if your nandroid backup is in the nandroid folder on the sd card and select which one it is if you have more than one.

5. johninbigd

ROM Manager doesn't seem to have root permissions so I can't flash clockwork mod. Also, if I open up a terminal and type su, I get an error, so if I have root, my phone is acting like I don't.

6. istolvampire

Try to use Rom Manager and when it denies you just close it and open Superuser. Go to apps and you should see Rom Manager listed with a RED circle next to it. Press Rom Manager (in superuser under apps)and give it permissions. The circle should be GREEN now. Then go back Rom Manager (the actual app) and try to flash Clockwork. Let me know how it goes

7. johninbigd

I just get a blank screen when I open Superuser Permissions. It's a black screen. If I hit Menu I can go to a preferences screen. Something must be hosed.

8. istolvampire

Oh, that is not good. What are preferences? The settings? (if it is the setting for superuser)check every box except Use 24 hour format.

If not then yes, you are hosed. Try flashing with RSD Lite.

9. johninbigd

There is a spot for whitelist preferences and notifications. That's it. I may have to do this the hard way.

10. istolvampire

You might try that one touch root app. If you can get the market. Sorry, I tried.

11. johninbigd

I appreciate the help! I'll try to find that app.

12. johninbigd

It appears that Easy Root only works on 2.1 and I'm on 2.2. I wonder if there's a version that works on Froyo.

13. istolvampire

14. johninbigd

Cool. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be in the market at the moment. I found some instructions to root my phone using adb that are pretty safe. I'll just do it the hard way.

Thanks for your help!

15. johninbigd

16. istolvampire

Glad you got back up and running. Happy romming.lol