I think I messed my phone up.

Last Updated:

1. Saltwater Hero

Saltwater Hero Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well all was well until I started deleting stuff. I rooted my phone everything was working great. I deleted a few things but nothing that I wasnt sure what it was. now I cant download from the market place and alot of my programs wont work I'm getting sms errors like crazy. Everytime I boot up my phone I get the error "The Process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" Then I just hit Force Close. The phone still works I can still make calls. Keep in mind im a total noob to this stuff and I did not make a backup. I did a hard reset also and these erros are still coming up and I still cannot download from the marketplace it just sits on "Starting Download...."

Advertisement
  2. awrnsmn

awrnsmn Well-Known Member

no backup.....uh oh. I'll have to pass on this one for someone else with more knowledge......good luck and hope it works out......

3. Saltwater Hero

It would be great if someone could make like a universal backup image :)

4. TerrBear

TerrBear Well-Known Member

I would play dumb and take it back to the store for a replacement as soon as possible.

5. pking

pking Well-Known Member

I had the same issue when I inadvertently deleted ' ImProvider.apk ', thinking that it was part of the crappy stock IM application.

It's most certainly not.

Adding it back in fixed the market issue after a reboot.

I'll iterate it again just for everyone else's sake, as I'm sure you've certainly learned your lesson, but

ALWAYS make backups

:)

Unfortunately it's against the TOS (and probably not at all legal anyway due to licensing constraints) to put the stock apk files up on this forum - they are HTC proprietary binaries. Maybe someone will be willing to send you a PM with some non-patent/license infringing 'help' while I go make a sandwich :rolleyes:

6. Saltwater Hero

Yeah I got it at best buy I was thinking of putting insurance on it right now for safe mesaures and just taking it back to them. Looks like I screwed up but I learned somthing in the process and thats to always make a backup!

7. Saltwater Hero

Yeah it would be great If I could learn how to fix it just so I could learn how to. I rushed and did the root and stuff right away when It first came out and didnt give backing up much thought.

8. elguapo76

elguapo76 Well-Known Member

There's a universal backup (nandroid) floating over on xda-developers, I believe HTC also has a recovery tool on their site.

9. Saltwater Hero

Thanks I will look around for it. Will let yall know if I have any luck.

10. pking

pking Well-Known Member

Ok, so I couldnt' find the 'official' image from HTC, but this is the XDA post containing it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=559622

You'll want to scroll down and pick the Sprint CDMA version of course.

This probably isn't a bad thing for everyone with a rooted Hero to hold onto - in the case that something goes really bad or you have to replace your phone in the future and it comes with an un-rootable image, this is a signed release that should install via the regular imager, and allow re-reooting.

11. elguapo76

elguapo76 Well-Known Member

Agreed! Saltwater Hero, if you could post back and let us know how the recovery goes that would be great! This could come in very useful for people needing to go back to stock as well.

12. Saltwater Hero

So I went ahed and downloaded the ROM Update Utility for my sprint hero and I get an image error on my PC that says The ROM Update Utility cannot update your android phone please get the correct ROM Update Utility and try again."

I downloaded this one from the XDA Website
    RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_1.29.651.1_signed_release.exe

13. Spunkzz

Spunkzz Member

that one is for the GSM version you need the CDMA version

14. Saltwater Hero

15. Saltwater Hero

I'm pretty sure the first one I picked was the right one its the only sprint one.

16. jo1020

jo1020 Active Member

17. Spunkzz

Spunkzz Member

so i know for a fact that i backed up my rom as well but when i try to restore it back to the factory rom i got the error " run 'nandriod-mobile.sh restore' via console!" does the backup you make save itself to the sd card or to the phone? if it was to the sdcard i guess i shouldnt have formatted the card =( i guess thats why i lost my backup. i'm in need for a backup image as well that can be uploaded to the phone. if anyone knows of one please pm me or message me. thanks

18. Saltwater Hero

The file at howard forums is the same file that I tried the first time and it did not work for my phone. I might just end up going back to sprint and acting dumb and telling them somthing is wrong with my phone.

19. Saltwater Hero

Got it to work! I re downloaded the sprint version and I didn get anymore errors my phones like brand new now! thanks guys now its time to make a backup and mess with my phone some more now :)

20. pking

pking Well-Known Member

congrats Saltwater Hero, enjoy :)

Would anyone care to write up a simple how-to for applying this RUU image? I think a lot of members would benefit from this. I'd do it but I'm a Linux-only kinda guy, and the RUU application is a Windows only kinda gal.

21. Saltwater Hero

Yeah a how to would be great. Just so you guys know the drivers from PDANET would not work to do this I had to use drivers that were installed from HTC Sync to do the update.

22. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

So by downloading this RUU and installing it it will actually unroot your rooted hero and make it back to like out of box in case we would need to take it in if it messes up?

23. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

anyone know if this will successfully unroot your phone without issues?

24. dagnasty

dagnasty Member

Downloading and running the RUU will put your phone back to the same as the day you got it. It will wipe out your root access as well as your recovery image.

25. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was told somewhere else that if you root there is no way to go back ....something about exploit...So wanted to make sure incase I ever want to unroot.