• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I think I messed up

This morning I got the OTA update notification. I decided I would go ahead and install it, but when it rebooted the pad went in to ClockWork recovery. Now it won't boot into anything but that. I tried using the Root Toolkit v8 then tried to install the Revolver ROM to try to start clean so the OTA update would stop trying to install. Someone please help.

Pm me if you like, i had this issue and i can walk you through it..

Edit-figured i'd take the time and explain this.

I was running stock rooted .24 when i also decided to update. I also have CWM. Well after the install the tablet would only boot into cwm.
Lets fix this-
First cold boot into android, hold power and volume down, then allow the tablet to cold boot.

Now you should be inside android. Open terminal emulator and type
Su enter then type
echo boot | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=0
NOTE=the 0 are zeros

This will fix the immediate issue. This will remove the boot flag causing the tablet to go into recovery. Unfortunately this will not allow you to boot into recovery normally, only by cold boot then press up to enter recovery.

To fix this issue, personally i flashed Team Win recovery 2.2 i think it is in XDA. Awesome touch recovery!

You will have to download the new recovery, boot into recovery by holding power and volume down, then press volume up when prompted.

flash the new recovery. This will remove the boot Flag fix and it'll only boot into recovery so you'll have to use power and volume trick again.

once in android, run terminal emulator again and insert that command above. Reboot the tablet and you will see the progress bar under the eee pad splash screen. This will update your recovery at that time. Let it reboot.

Now the tablet should be fixed and reboot, and reboot into recovery should work as expected.

Understand i'm not responsible if you break your tablet..Proceed with caution.
This is what i did on my b90 tablet.

Hope this helps. It only took me about 13 hours to figure this out.

Reactions: bnb25 and BenRad
Upvote 0
Pm me if you like, i had this issue and i can walk you through it..

Edit-figured i'd take the time and explain this.

I was running stock rooted .24 when i also decided to update. I also have CWM. Well after the install the tablet would only boot into cwm.
Lets fix this-
First cold boot into android, hold power and volume down, then allow the tablet to cold boot.

Now you should be inside android. Open terminal emulator and type
Su enter then type
echo boot | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=0
NOTE=the 0 are zeros

This will fix the immediate issue. This will remove the boot flag causing the tablet to go into recovery. Unfortunately this will not allow you to boot into recovery normally, only by cold boot then press up to enter recovery.

To fix this issue, personally i flashed Team Win recovery 2.2 i think it is in XDA. Awesome touch recovery!

You will have to download the new recovery, boot into recovery by holding power and volume down, then press volume up when prompted.

flash the new recovery. This will remove the boot Flag fix and it'll only boot into recovery so you'll have to use power and volume trick again.

once in android, run terminal emulator again and insert that command above. Reboot the tablet and you will see the progress bar under the eee pad splash screen. This will update your recovery at that time. Let it reboot.

Now the tablet should be fixed and reboot, and reboot into recovery should work as expected.

Understand i'm not responsible if you break your tablet..Proceed with caution.
This is what i did on my b90 tablet.

Hope this helps. It only took me about 13 hours to figure this out.

thank you for posting this, it really helped me. now if i can just figure out why none of the pc's i connect to through usb doesn't work

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones